Set sail and dinner at the same time

I am traveling with my husband... First time cruiser. We are on the AOS which departs from San Juan at 8:30PM and we are schedule for the 8:30 seating in the MDR. Thoughts on eating or the set sail celebration?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am traveling with my husband... First time cruiser. We are on the AOS which departs from San Juan at 8:30PM and we are schedule for the 8:30 seating in the MDR. Thoughts on eating or the set sail celebration?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My recollection is that the dinner times are pushed back on the first night.

If it turns out that dinner is not pushed back enough for you to see sailaway, then I would take dinner elsewhere that night and not miss your first sailaway. It's a pretty sailaway from San Juan at night.

Edited by clarea

The choice is yours to make, but we never want to be inside for sail away. We are always on deck for sail away, celebrating with everyone else. If you would rather experience sail away, you can choose a specialty restaurant that evening, or eat in the Windjammer buffet (very nice at night, nice and relaxing), or room service is also an option for a full meal. We never go to dinner in the dining room on the first night, and trust me, that is OK. The second night is fine to show up and introduce yourselves. :)

How would I find out if the dining times are pushed back the first night? Thanks for the great responses!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I suspect that someone that has recently sailed on AOS will answer your question. I'll give another vote for not missing sail away in San Juan. The views of Old San Juan and El Morro are spectacular. The pool deck is always hopping with the sail away party.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

How would I find out if the dining times are pushed back the first night? Thanks for the great responses!

The dining times will be listed in the daily schedule, which is called the Cruise Compass. There will be a compass in your stateroom when the staterooms become available around 1:30pm.

We've had sail times be at the same time as dinner, it's a choice you can make. Watching the sail away through the dining room windows is rather nice also.

We had a sail away in the middle of the night once. We were sailing on the Legend to Hawaii out of Ensenada and there were multiple buses of people coming down from San Diego that had some issues, so the Captain announced that we would wait on them. We tried to stay awake to see the sail away but gave up around midnight.....woke up in the morning with no land in sight. :)

If you are seated by a window you can watch sail away while you eat as well. It is nice for five minutes but I prefer the formal meal.

If your table is on the port side of the ship you won't see much. Old San Juan and El Morro will be on the starboard side. About the only thing worth looking at on the port side is the Bacardi factory.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My recollection is that the dinner times are pushed back on the first night.

That was my recollection based on many reviews as well. On Jewel in 2013 we went up for sailaway and then down to dinner only to find the rest of our table getting their entrees already. We apologized and got our entrees and dessert.

We just sailed Adventure of The Seas February 27 and the first night dinner was pushed back until 9:00 for sail away. We have sailed this ship 4 times and they always push the first night dinner back 30 minutes so the passengers do not miss sail away.

We just sailed Adventure of The Seas February 27 and the first night dinner was pushed back until 9:00 for sail away. We have sailed this ship 4 times and they always push the first night dinner back 30 minutes so the passengers do not miss sail away.

Exactly! Early and late seating is pushed back by 30 minutes due to the time of the muster drill!