Backpacks for travel

debandpat

1. I recommend an LL Bean backpack. They are without peers. I carried one for about 25 years (7 years of college, multiple years working at summer camps, then it became a large diaper bag) and replaced it only because it was looking shabby -- not because it actually had holes or anything.

LL Bean, Jansport, North Face and most of the other big name brands all guarantee their seams and zippers, the parts most likely to actually break ... for life. If yours go bad, you can return it to the company, and they will either replace or repair it (their choice). Years and years ago I worked for a camping specialty store, and it was my job to do the returning.

2. I much prefer a backpack with one large compartment ... then I can use small bags to keep things separate -- I like clear plastic cosmetic bags. It makes your bag more flexible.

We have been travelling in SE Asia for the past eight weeks. In Vietnam we have been surprised at the high quality and low prices of some products. You need to shop carefully because there is lots of product that is not as good.

We may do something that we have never done before.....do some serious shopping prior to flying home next week.

I am overwhelmed by the great responses. This is my first forum use and I'm really pleased. There were a few questions about use.

When cruising we take all the prescriptions, adapters, one outfit each, and extra underwear. A few extras (small camera, books) etc. These all go in our carry-ons. Last time we took an old backpack with us which was so easy to carry in the airport. So, we decided to look for good travel backpacks to use as carry-ons.

Once you find your backpack, get some packing cubes. Yes, for your carry on as well as your checked luggage. You won't ever travel the same again.

As for backpack, I myself use the High Sierra. Comes in several sizes and many colors. Bought on Amazon. Packing cubes I use Pro (brand) packing cubes also on Amazon. You can sign up on their website and become a VIP and get some really good deals.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Anyone have any ideas about a good travel backpack (lots of compartments and pockets) that can also be used as a carryon. Looking for something that would be easier to lug through the airports.

Go to a luggage store or somewhere like REI and look at them. There are literally dozens of different backpacks out there and what works for one person might not be the best for you.

Some things to consider included are you planning on carrying a laptop or a DSLR camera and extra lenses? Do you want it for clothes, or jsut your meds and documents? Lots of things to consider.

I just discovered something great that I am willing to pay more for: The North Face makes some "Women's Fit" backpacks, and they really do make a difference for me. The shoulder straps are more curved around to the underarm area, and it makes for a much more comfortable fit because of my breasts. It might be something for larger busted women to consider. There are a couple of North Face retail stores here in town, and I went in to try them on -- when I saw it on line, I didn't think it mattered, but it does.

I keep hearing about packing cubes.......what's the big deal? What can they do that a series of ziploc-type plastic bags can't do (other than cost a lot)?

Well, there are actually sizes that fit clothes, like the folders. They can have all-around zippers that make placing rolled items in the cube easy and you can zip and just take the you want out without having to take everything out of the "ziploc-type" bag to get the thing you packed first. You can buy different colors, so you know what is is what color without having to pick up and look at every "ziploc-type" bag. Some breathe, so that you won't get condensation inside the bag in humid conditions (I've had that happen before) like with "ziploc-type' bags. They don't break the zipper like happens sometimes with the closure on the "ziploc-type" bags.

If you pack and travel small, the cubes actually make it easy to place inside your bag. "ziploc-type" bags are not as dimensional, so sometimes you can't stack or slide in a corner like you can with cubes meant to do just that.

Once you find your backpack, get some packing cubes. Yes, for your carry on as well as your checked luggage. You won't ever travel the same again.

As for backpack, I myself use the High Sierra. Comes in several sizes and many colors. Bought on Amazon. Packing cubes I use Pro (brand) packing cubes also on Amazon. You can sign up on their website and become a VIP and get some really good deals.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I use stuff sacks = https://www.rei.com/c/drawcord-stuff-sacks?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Cgear-storage-and-maintenance%7Cstuff-sacks%7Cdrawcord-stuff-sacks&ir=category%3Astuff-sacks - in my backpack instead of packing cubes. They come in lots of sizes and colors so that you know what is in each sack. I will add that I use the packing cubes in my suitcase.

If you have to deal w carrying electronic stuff such as cables, this was one of the best investments I ever bought - http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-636-215-Cable-Duo-Pouch/dp/B00KT7GKA8?ie=UTF8&keywords=tenba%20cable%20organizer&qid=1460237647&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

I always used to keep my cables and other small electronics in small bags and had to sort through them to get the stuff I needed. What I now do is to store all my stuff in this organizer and when I leave on a trip I just grab it and it holds everything that I need - cables, spare batteries, my MP3 players, a folding keyboard and a whole bunch of other stuff. Saves me much time when I travel and it just drops into my backpack.

Re backpacks, I disagree with those who say that a backpack with one large compartment is best. Mines has 5 compartments of varying sizes and it makes it easier for me to find stuff. However as with any packing scheme, what works for me may not work for everyone. Just make sure to bring everything that you may be putting into the backpack with you when you go out to buy one which to me makes it impossible to buy one on line.

DON

I love my packing cubes! :):) Mine are ebags brand, I have 2 sets and I have the envelopes that are shown in the 1st video. Below are a couple of youtube videos that I think are good to watch if you want to know more. I do pack electronics accessories (cables, plugs, purse size flashlight, etc) in a smaller one & medicines & first aid items in another smaller one. They have handles so are easy to grab & go.

I just discovered something great that I am willing to pay more for: The North Face makes some "Women's Fit" backpacks, and they really do make a difference for me. The shoulder straps are more curved around to the underarm area, and it makes for a much more comfortable fit because of my breasts. It might be something for larger busted women to consider. There are a couple of North Face retail stores here in town, and I went in to try them on -- when I saw it on line, I didn't think it mattered, but it does.

I bought a North Face 'women's fit' and love it! I use it for work...laptop, iPad, iPhone, chargers/cords, work docs...and for personal travel...just in case change of clothes, cosmetics, small camera, travel docs. It holds a lot and with side compression straps can be snugged up for stowing under the seat. I bought a "last season" color at a good price via Amazon.

I can't say enough about my e-bags backpack. I bought it a few years ago for a carryon only trip to Italy. It has a lot of different pockets. Later I bought the matching rolling suitcase.I believe it is called the motherlode. That's a good place to shop, too, and they have good sales and frees shipping. You can also check them out on Amazon.

I second the E-bags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible . I have had one for a couple of years and love it. The pockets are well designed for travel purposes. It can be carried as either a shoulder bag or backpack. They also have a junior version if you like something a bit smaller.

I second the E-bags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible . I have had one for a couple of years and love it. The pockets are well designed for travel purposes. It can be carried as either a shoulder bag or backpack. They also have a junior version if you like something a bit smaller.

Both DDs have this bag. It works well as a carryon and is sturdy enough for check thru.

There is a lighter version- the eTech 2.0 Weekender convertible has less bells and whistles. Main difference is no laptop sleeve.

Edited by SadieN