No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

Hope it goes well for you....Unfortunately..we are sailing end of May..and I am so disappointed I will be so limited in wine by the glass selection..:(

We booked last year...and the UBP was SO different (ie better) then..:rolleyes:

I wish they would release the new list ahead of time. It may change how much wine we bring with us. [emoji485][emoji485][emoji485] Enjoying a nice glass of wine with dinner is a big part of our vacation experience since I only allow myself to indulge in wine once or twice a week at home.

Thanks for posting - this is a big difference form the offerings a year ago! I am very disappointed - to have only one option for a chardonnay or cabernet is a big let down. I actually do like the one cab that's offered by the glass, but not the chardonnay! It's absurdly limiting too because that's all that anyone can choose - UBP or not! Many people enjoy one glass of wine with dinner and do not want an entire bottle - There are plenty of lower cost wines that would allow NCL to keep cost down, but still offer options. Shame on them! I would hope this doesn't last. If wine was the only thing I drank I would certainly not pay for the UBP.

We will be on the Getaway July 3. Did the sommelier say if it was just that ship or all of them? It would be great if they added some good wines to the list, even if we had to pay an upcharge.

He didn't and I never asked. I am sorry!

No, I've never liked Pepsi. Lol

I know water is free, I just prefer bottled water. My past experience is ship water tends to make me swell so I end up drinking both. I'm sure we will bring some water. Ugh! We have to bring our own water, Diet Coke and wine with the UBP...doesn't seem so "ultimate" to me. [emoji52]

We are aware our son can buy beer or wine if we sign a waiver, which we plan to do. I just wish he was allowed to have the free UBP as he would get more use out of it than I will. [emoji485][emoji482] I mean, he's 19 and can legally buy beer and wine on a ship. He's going to enjoy that! Especially the [emoji481]!

free ubp if i understand correctly is for 1st and 2nd pax. can't you make son pax number 2 and you pax number 3 so your son get's the free ubp package and you don't :confused: since you are bringing drinks for you anyway you may get more use from the ubp by making your son pax number 2 and he getting the ubp.

free ubp if i understand correctly is for 1st and 2nd pax. can't you make son pax number 2 and you pax number 3 so your son get's the free ubp package and you don't :confused: since you are bringing drinks for you anyway you may get more use from the ubp by making your son pax number 2 and he getting the ubp.

I think her son is 19 and they only will allow the UBP if you are 21 and older.

If he is under 21 I don't think he can have a beversage package so no point in switching the guests as then only 1 would have UBP and 2 would have soda.

We were on Gem's last sailing and we were told that NCL has indeed scaled back its wine/beer and cocktail beverage offerings fleetwide.

We watched people order drinks they used to get and they were told they could not get those particular drinks any longer. :rolleyes:

Which red wine did you like? I'm asking because none of them look appealing and we enjoy a nice bold red with dinner. I didn't realize you could order top shelf liquor or ask for a second shot. Is this true on the

Getaway?

Sorry I didn't answer earlier. Not sure if you can order drinks with top shelf on all ships but assume you can. The red we liked with dinner was from France. Sorry can't be more specific. Wine steward never even mentioned the NCL branded wines.

We were on Gem's last sailing and we were told that NCL has indeed scaled back its wine/beer and cocktail beverage offerings fleetwide.

We watched people order drinks they used to get and they were told they could not get those particular drinks any longer. :rolleyes:

Can you recall any beer or cocktail that met this criteria (once available but no longer)? I find it hard to believe they could scale back the beer offerings, and can't figure out how they'd scale back cocktails.

Does anyone know if this is the same as an ubp,we are led to believe that this package includes everything drink wise but the more I read the more I am unsure,also do you have to pay gratuity on top when you order drinks.....sorry if this sounds confusing but never sailed ncl before and never had a drinks package....we are on the epic in July....thanks in advance

Does anyone know if this is the same as an ubp,we are led to believe that this package includes everything drink wise but the more I read the more I am unsure,also do you have to pay gratuity on top when you order drinks.....sorry if this sounds confusing but never sailed ncl before and never had a drinks package....we are on the epic in July....thanks in advance

Yes, it's the UBP. No, no one with UBP ever had to pay gratuities on beverages on the ship.

The package covers drinks up to $15.00. any drinks over $15.00 you pay the difference.

You pay gratuities on the package, not on each individual drink, and this is paid with your cruise fare prior to sailing.

You pay gratuities on the package, not on each individual drink, and this is paid with your cruise fare prior to sailing.

That is incorrect. Anybody with all inclusive drinks package as the booking perk (only available in UK and CE) does not pay anything extra because of that package on top of their cruise fare.

But depending on the ports, itinerary and ship's location, one might have to pay VAT/sales tax on all drinks – even with the package.

Edited by Demonyte

Just curious if the Cellar's wine list is so bad, if anyone had considered contacting Mondovi Wines about it? I know that they pride themselves on their wines and I'm curious what their thoughts would be with having their name attached to something that so many people have issues with.....:confused:

Seems to me that wine lovers should choose a different perk and then either do viva vino package or bring your own wine and pay corkage...

How strict is NCL with the corkage fee ?? Our last several cruises have been on Carnival and we always bring two bottles of wine on board. Have never paid a corkage fee.

Just curious if the Cellar's wine list is so bad, if anyone had considered contacting Mondovi Wines about it? I know that they pride themselves on their wines and I'm curious what their thoughts would be with having their name attached to something that so many people have issues with.....:confused:

The Cellar's is branded with "A Michael Mondavi Family Wine Bar". I've wondered - is he just a descendant of the well-known Mondavi clan? His website makes it sound like he has a rather small family venture.

Disclaimer: I know nothing.

The package covers drinks up to $15.00. any drinks over $15.00 you pay the difference.

Okay, I will share this will CC one more time on this subject. The UBP is what it is but if you take care of the bartenders, tip them, visit them often, you can get just about whatever you want. We had the UBP on our last sailing on the Gem and by day 3, my wife entered the cabin with a bucket of beer for me and about a half solo cup of jaeger for me to enjoy cause our bartender heard I was relaxing on our balcony and wouldnt be out till later......NOW that is service!!!! All you have to do is take care of the workers.....thats it!;)

Most of their wines are low-end. [emoji13]

okay, i will share this will cc one more time on this subject. The ubp is what it is but if you take care of the bartenders, tip them, visit them often, you can get just about whatever you want. We had the ubp on our last sailing on the gem and by day 3, my wife entered the cabin with a bucket of beer for me and about a half solo cup of jaeger for me to enjoy cause our bartender heard i was relaxing on our balcony and wouldnt be out till later......now that is service!!!! All you have to do is take care of the workers.....thats it!;)

THIS! So true...

Edited by Samstress

How strict is NCL with the corkage fee ?? Our last several cruises have been on Carnival and we always bring two bottles of wine on board. Have never paid a corkage fee.

depends on the port and time of day. on the two ncl cruises we took wine on we got there early in the morning and security told us to go to a table that they waved to for us to pay the corkage fee. at both times, we walked over to the table which was unmanned, stood there for a minute and when no one came over to let us pay the corkage fee we just continued onward. if they want the corkage fee they should be manning the table where they collect it and i'm not wasting more than a minute of my vacation time to comply. so in my instance, not very strict it seems. the ports were tampa and vancouver.