Aft or not

Swampduck

:confused:

Hi .... Can I pick your Cruising brains?

I have booked a CC cabin 9346 on the equinox, but for only £100 more I could change to a CC aft cabin ...

We have always been on the sides.. towards the aft but never on it..

what do you think?

Would we be better staying where we are? Or do you think the Aft cabins are better... & why..

thanks in advance..

Debbie:)

If you don't mind walking a little further to get to most elevators/stairways, and the ship's motion doesn't particularly bother you, then by all means try an aft cabin. They're our first choice always, if they're available. I've read complaints about soot or vibration, but we've never encountered that problem.

Some time ago there was a wonderful thread called "Show Me Your Aft" - managed to find it - here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1182324

:confused:

Hi .... Can I pick your Cruising brains?

I have booked a CC cabin 9346 on the equinox, but for only £100 more I could change to a CC aft cabin ...

We have always been on the sides.. towards the aft but never on it..

what do you think?

Would we be better staying where we are? Or do you think the Aft cabins are better... & why..

thanks in advance..

Debbie:)

We love the AFT view (thumbnail) and don't mind a few more steps to the elevator.:)

Aft balconies tend to be a bit bigger and if whales, dolphins, or flying fish come to play in the wake, you can't see it from a side cabin.:):)

At the back of the ship, there is much less foot traffic in the hallway outside your door.

After dinner and the show, the sound of the wake can (and will) lull you to sleep as you sit on the balcony sipping a brandy.:D

Cheers!

1.jpg.e3291ce4e0d4ee5ff1848d0ae0f0ab50.jpg

I'm prone to motion sickness and recently spent 14 nights in an aft cabin in South America. Even when it got a bit rough I didn't get any motion sickness. I loved it. I would jump at a chance for an aft cabin again.

Only cabins we book. Corner aft sky suites if it's in your budget. Our first choice always. High up on penthouse deck especially.

However, I hate to advertise how great these cabins are because then they'll become too popular and hard to book.....:rolleyes:

Most times that aft cabins are right near the aft elevator's. ;)

This is NOT true on the S-Class ships though (OP is asking specifically about Equinox). There are only elevators midship and at the front of the ship on those.

It's the main downside of aft on Celebrity to me. You do a lot of walking just to get from your room to anywhere else. Now, for me it's good exercise. But just to go grab a drink, you walk to the middle of the ship, and then you walk back to the back of the ship to your room, essentially walking the full length of the ship. For every trip. Every time. It can get to be a bit much after several trips. However, the view is usually spectacular, and I think it's nice and quiet, so I would not hesitate to stay in an aft room when possible.

Aft cabins are not always equal, some are far superior. M class aft cabins and their verandas give so much more than just a view of the wake. On other ships the price of aft cabins is higher only because of demand but on M class ships since the veranda is so much larger than the standard veranda, the higher price seems priceless. Not sure I would take an S class aft veranda if the price were too much more than the same cabin type on a side.

We've had only two aft cabins and LOVED them. They are becoming increasingly popular and consequently increasingly expensive.

As others have mentioned you will do a lot of walking so this could be a factor for some, personally we like the walk.

If it's in your budget go for it!

I'm prone to motion sickness and recently spent 14 nights in an aft cabin in South America. Even when it got a bit rough I didn't get any motion sickness. I loved it. I would jump at a chance for an aft cabin again.

We were on that same cruise. A bit rough...you must have your "sea legs". We were in 1141 and for 2-3 days we bounced all over the place. We thought it was funny but some people would probably think the opposite. I would also jump at the chance for an aft cabin again.

Aft cabins are great, we didn't have a problem with the motion of the ship.

One thing, will you balcony have a cover over you or not. If you cruise and temps are in the 90s, with no cover, it makes use of the balcony unlikely. Aft balconies usually don't have any breeze to cool you.

Aft balconies are great if the weather is cool.

After 24 cruses we decided to try an Aft cabin - last month on the Equinox. We were direct center of the wake with one of the larger balconies. While I loved looking at the wake - we most likely won't do it again. (1) No overhang - therefore if its raining or really hot - no shelter from either (2) little less privacy when standing at the rails from up above from the Aft Bar. 3) SOOT - we had 5 out of 11 days that in the mornings our balcony and furniture was covered in soot - so we had to wipe furniture down - but we still couldn't walk out barefoot without having black on the bottom of our feet (4) and lastly, I missed seeing where we were going instead of just where we had been!

Regarding motion sickness - my husband has it - but was not effected by the Aft cabin.

There are people that only book Aft - and I know we all like something different - good thing too! Try it - you may like it - but for us, been there - done that!

If you can, get an aft facing cabin (stern cabin). Then you will have the experience yourself. We have stayed in them a couple of times on M class ships and they were great.

Did not mind the walk and the wake was neat to be able to see off your balcony. Of course you pay for the view and if you can get it for the small increase you mention, I would try it.

I too have heard of soot, but that does not seem to deter many from booking them.

We actually could have gotten a aft facing cabin on our next booked cruise, but wanted to try AQ class, thus are port side forward close to the spa.

This is NOT true on the S-Class ships though (OP is asking specifically about Equinox). There are only elevators midship and at the front of the ship on those.

It's the main downside of aft on Celebrity to me. You do a lot of walking just to get from your room to anywhere else. Now, for me it's good exercise. But just to go grab a drink, you walk to the middle of the ship, and then you walk back to the back of the ship to your room, essentially walking the full length of the ship. For every trip. Every time. It can get to be a bit much after several trips. However, the view is usually spectacular, and I think it's nice and quiet, so I would not hesitate to stay in an aft room when possible.

You might want to study the ship layout map. The aft elevators are a little further from aft than the forward elevators are from the bow, but it might not be as far as you think. The Aft elevators are certainly not in the middle. As you know the stairs in the middle are limited to just a couple of decks.

As you said it is really not that big of a deal and we like it. Since the Oceanview and MDR entrances are right at the Aft elevator/stairs it does not seem that unusual IMO.

it does seem far when you in an Aft cabin and want to go to the Sunset bar. You can look up and almost see the bar and it is a long way especially since we like to use the stairs.

We love the aft section especially the corner S1s.