Age Restriction Question

I would really like to go on a Royal Caribbean Cruise but they have that age restriction. My group consists of me (19), my boyfriend (20), my sister (21), my boyfriend's sister (30) and her boyfriend (30), and also my two friends (20 and 19). We would like to do the couples in their own room. Can two people under 21 be in the same room as long as they are roomed next to someone of their party whose is over 21? (i.e my sister or his sister)? Otherwise how could this work?

I would really like to go on a Royal Caribbean Cruise but they have that age restriction. My group consists of me (19), my boyfriend (20), my sister (21), my boyfriend's sister (30) and her boyfriend (30), and also my two friends (20 and 19). We would like to do the couples in their own room. Can two people under 21 be in the same room as long as they are roomed next to someone of their party whose is over 21? (i.e my sister or his sister)? Otherwise how could this work?

You would have to book one 21 or over in each cabin and then get new sea passes on the ship to move people to the cabins they want to be in. However, there is some weird rule that I have read and don't remember all the details about that might come into effect here since you have only 3 21 or over and 4 underage and not all related. Hopefully, someone else will know the particulars better but I know there was a case of grandparents taking a granddaughter and 2 friends and they were denied boarding because not enough related adults.

Edited by reallyitsmema

There might be ways around it since you are traveling with some older relatives. Call Royal Caribbean and speak with a cruise planner there. Tell them what you want to do and see if they can accommodate you.

Let us know what you find out! DH and I ran into this everywhere when we were first married. It's not just cruise ships! My mom had to check us into the hotel for our wedding night because we were only 20.

You would probably be OK booking next to or adjoining cabins. We have our two grand-daughters (4 & 2) booked under their own names in an adjoining cabin to their parents. So obviously there is no requirement somebody over 21 be listed in the cabin.

You would probably be OK booking next to or adjoining cabins. We have our two grand-daughters (4 & 2) booked under their own names in an adjoining cabin to their parents. So obviously there is no requirement somebody over 21 be listed in the cabin.

Have I misunderstood this? RCI would allow 2 children, 4 and 2 years old, to be alone in a cabin?

Well I guess I am wrong. I just looked it up on the RCCL www site and unless you are "underage married couple" or in the military you do have to book at least one person over 21 in the cabin.

Children traveling with parents or guardians are exempt.

Have I misunderstood this? RCI would allow 2 children, 4 and 2 years old, to be alone in a cabin?

Yes, but it's a connecting cabin. I am not sure that made a difference as we have booked a 12 & 8 year old in their own cabin across the hall from parents.

Yes, if that stateroom was next to or across the hall from the responsible adult.

well then it's ridiculous that royal caribbean doesn't let 18 year olds travel alone.

Agree but I imagine RC didn't just pull that rule out of thin air. They probably experienced an inordinate amount of issues with that crowd and decided to stop. Surely, they would like the added revenue.

only a CONNECTING cabin does not require adults being booked into it( interior door between the two cabins)

an ADJOINING cabin( merely next door) would require an adult for booking purposes, but again as everyone has said it is easy to switch sleeping arrangements once on board.

as for the OP the issue may be whether or not they consider a sibling to be valid in loco parentis. there was a pretty long and involved thread recently about a set of adults who were ultimately told that they would not be allowed to board with their entire group since there were too many non related minors traveling with them

only a CONNECTING cabin does not require adults being booked into it( interior door between the two cabins)

an ADJOINING cabin( merely next door) would require an adult for booking purposes, but again as everyone has said it is easy to switch sleeping arrangements once on board.

You found that policy where? Teenagers can and have been booked together across the hall from the parents.

This is exactly why I use a TA who I have used for the last 25 years. She takes care of all that "fine print" stuff.

Is this really true? I thought that you needed someone over 21 even if sailing from Europe. I looked on the website as if I was booking from the Netherlands and didn't see any change in the language.

http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

This is from the UK website.

We did 4 night from Southampton a couple of years ago and sat with a lovely young couple one morning at breakfast, they were 19 and 20. He had been cruising throughout childhood with his family and wanted to introduce his girlfriend to it.

I think in most of the world outside of the US, 18 year olds are treated as adults in every sense,

Julie

I stand corrected, it does say "connecting cabins", but it also says the policy can be waived. So I guess my grandsons got the waiver. Again, a good reason to have a long term relationship with your TA who has a long term relationship with her cruise rep.

You found that policy where? Teenagers can and have been booked together across the hall from the parents.

This is exactly why I use a TA who I have used for the last 25 years. She takes care of all that "fine print" stuff.

The policy does specify connecting staterooms, but perhaps they're not too strict with that, in practice.

Edit: Sorry - just see that you found this yourself and posted about it. :cool:

Edited by Paul65

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

So here's a link. I think you would be able to go. Just book the 30-30-21 year olds in separate cabins then put the two unrelated minors in separate rooms (so one 21+ adult isn't responsible for two unrelated underaged cruisers). I think this would work. At Guest Services onboard you can change around the room assignments or get duplicate card keys so everyone winds up sleeping however you want.

Example:

Cabin 1: 30yo sister, 20yo brother, 19yo friend

Cabin 2: 30yo friend, 20yo friend

Cabin 3: 21yo sister, 19yo sister

Not positive this works since it is still one 21+ responsible for two underage passengers but I'm thinking it might work since one of the underage is a relative. The extra person is throwing you off. If it was one-to-one you should be fine. Keep in mind they go by the age you are on the FIRST day of the cruise (not the day you book) so if either of the 20 year olds would turn 21 before your cruise they would be good. You would just need to book the new 21yo in the cabin with 3.

Edited by YadaYadaJodi