Evening Chic

Woobstr112G

I will be returning to Celebrity (when I finally sail in 2018) after a 12 year absence. I know they have gone to Evening Chic from Formal Nights, but I was curious about the observations from more experienced Celebrity cruisers. Since the inception of Evening are there still a number of men who dress up in Tux's or suits?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

You now see exactly the same thing you saw before. EVERYTHING from evening gowns and tux to collared shirts and nice pair of slacks. More casual on Caribbean runs and more formal out of the Med and longer cruises.

You now see exactly the same thing you saw before. EVERYTHING from evening gowns and tux to collared shirts and nice pair of slacks. More casual on Caribbean runs and more formal out of the Med and longer cruises.

Thanks for your reply.....:):):)

Bob

Recently off a B2B of 35 nights. For the most part the people we spoke to who were in Long gowns and tuxes were not aware that Celebrity had moved away from "formal" nights. Lots of sports jackets & ties on men ( some with jeans), ladies dresses ( not cocktail) or pants & top with a bit of bling.

IMHO as people learn that there are no longer " formal" nights the tux & gown will be a rare sight😢.

Nice mix in southern Caribbean out of San Juan in February. My husband wore a suit and I wore a cocktail dress (we did a carryon each) and we felt perfectly fine. There were some tuxes, a lot of suits and some more casual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There haven't been any Med cruises since the dress code changed. It remains to be seen what happened. We sailed right after the change and there was a mix as you say, but more jeans than before. I do think that many people who do not read these boards have been unaware of the change.

My recent experience was pretty much the opposite from the other posters. A couple of weeks ago I was on a short 4 day cruise in the Caribbean, maybe because it was at the end if March break, or msybe not but I saw everything from a few t-shirts and shorts to full suits. It was mostly collared shirts, some dress shirts, other polo type. I wore a shirt and tie and dress pants and almost felt over dressed.

Just off two weeks on Eclipse - yup, dress ran the gamut from tux to suits to slacks and dress shirt to more casual for men and ladies from gowns to cocktail dresses to slacks and sparkly tops, etc. Not any real change from what it was when it was officially "formal".

Given the two other dining rooms - Luminae for Suite Class and Blu for Aqua Class are always smart casual, and have been since their inception, it's great the Celebrity caught the main dining room dress code up to those two and made the e items ship more cohesive as far as dress guidelines..... All in all, no major change in what folks actuakky wore though...

There haven't been any Med cruises since the dress code changed. It remains to be seen what happened. We sailed right after the change and there was a mix as you say, but more jeans than before. I do think that many people who do not read these boards have been unaware of the change.

Disagree as when we have cruised in the Med it was about 30-40% really formal compared to under 20% in the Caribbean. also the short 3 or 4 day cruises have always been pretty casual. Years ago Celebrity did 5 day runs out of Long Beach to Mexico and formal night was not really formal. Americans tend to be casual and Europeans much more formal is their dress both on cruises and for business. American culture (except a few cities) is not a 3 piece suit and tie any longer. We have a 4 star restaurant in Phoenix and a sports coat is no longer required.

I agree, this dress code is barely 4 months in and most people don't read CC nor do they pay much attention to dress code listings in paperwork......once most figure this out tuxes will be a rare sight......in a year or so this will be the case I'm sure...

I agree, this dress code is barely 4 months in and most people don't read CC nor do they pay much attention to dress code listings in paperwork......once most figure this out tuxes will be a rare sight......in a year or so this will be the case I'm sure...

IMHO as people learn that there are no longer "formal" nights the tux & gown will be a rare sight😢.

Great points, SheriffJoe and jelayne! In addition to eliminating formal nights, Celebrity has reduced the maximum number of evening chic nights as well. Celebrity's website verbiage has also been relaxed further since the initial elimination of formal nights.

Disagree as when we have cruised in the Med it was about 30-40% really formal compared to under 20% in the Caribbean. also the short 3 or 4 day cruises have always been pretty casual. Years ago Celebrity did 5 day runs out of Long Beach to Mexico and formal night was not really formal. Americans tend to be casual and Europeans much more formal is their dress both on cruises and for business. American culture (except a few cities) is not a 3 piece suit and tie any longer. We have a 4 star restaurant in Phoenix and a sports coat is no longer required.

How can you disagree with Peteymil on this? If there haven't been Mediterranean cruises since the change, you have no idea how it will affect this sailing season.

My impression on the two-week Eclipse Southern Caribbean cruise starting March 20, was that about one third of passengers wore formal gowns and tuxes on elegant chic night, one third wore cocktail attire and about one-third were much more casual clothing (jeans, chinos, even shorts.)

Hubby and I disagree on my assessment. He says even more than a third were casual, but I don't think he was looking hard enough. Anyway, we both felt the women tended to be dressier than the men.

My observations are based on watching folks enter the theater before a show. Where we sat almost everyone had to walk past us, so we had a good look.

One last observation. On almost any night of the cruise you could find at least a few random people, especially women, in formal or very dressy outfits.

Edited by Gangway Style

I was on the March 20 Silhouette 7-night Western Caribbean sailing...

I would say there was a very few tuxes, a fair number of suits or jackets and ties...

...and everything else down from there...

I wore what I consider the dress code to be describing--black slacks, black/white long sleeve dress shirt, no jacket, no tie...Many others dressed accordingly...

My Brother-in-law cruised with us and he pretty much wore the same stuff he wears on casual nights--slacks and a short sleeve buttoned sports shirt--and he actually did not look out of place--many dressed the same way...

As to the women, I saw very few long, formal gowns...A lot of younger women were dressed like they were going to a night club...My wife and sister both wore the types of clothes they wear to work...

I really do think, though, that of the folks wearing suits and ties or formal wear, only some were doing it because they preferred to dress up...Many, I believe, just never read about the dress code change...I believe, that, over time, fewer and fewer will wear formal wear as "Evening Chic" catches on...

When we cruise Oceania--where there has never been formal nights, I've always noticed that some--usually older folks--still wear dinner jackets, suits or coats and ties to dinner...Even though it's NEVER been the dress code...I think it's just some people's nature or background to do that...

We'll be doing Europe on the Constellation in a couple of months...It will be interesting to see if that is different...For the record, I plan on dressing the same as I did in the Caribbean...because, 1) I think that is what the dress code calls for...and 2) because no way I'm packing all that extra formal stuff when I'll be in Europe for 25 days and limited to one 50 pound suitcase! At least with my "Evening Chic wear", I can pair the black slacks with a black/gray golf shirt and wear them on casual nights as well.

Definitely more and more T shirts - jeans and shorts can be seen. Probably within the next couple of years - Tux/evening gowns, ties and jackets will be virtually eliminated. There will still be a small percentage that get dressed up but most Generation X and Millennials don't care about jackets, ties, tux or anything that ties them to their parents from the past - another good thing being eliminated from Celebrity - just like the brunch on the last day of the cruise and may other things over the years

Definitely more and more T shirts - jeans and shorts can be seen.

Definitely NO T-Shirts and shorts were seen in the Dining Room for dinner...on Casual nights OR Evening Chic nights.

In fact, Celebrity still enforces its dress code to that extent. On our cruise, in particular, there was one family I met on our flight home that said they left the cruise in Jamaica and flew back to Miami. Said they felt "disrespected". When I asked why, they said the dad was turned away from the Dining Room for being improperly dressed...He said it was because he was wearing "flip-flops" but I suspect it was more than that. They said it was their vacation and they "should be allowed to dress however they want". It was their first cruise...

All cruise lines have rarely STRICTLY enforced "Formal" night...But, Celebrity has always enforced those no shorts, no swim wear, no tank tops rules...I have also witnessed them kicking a young man out of the Dining Room wearing a tank-top Lakers jersey (Maybe they just weren't Laker fans). I also once saw a woman kicked out of Michael's Club when they used it for Elite Drinking Hours for wearing what they considered "shorts"--even though she looked very nicely and appropriately dressed to me...

I will be returning to Celebrity (when I finally sail in 2018) after a 12 year absence. I know they have gone to Evening Chic from Formal Nights, but I was curious about the observations from more experienced Celebrity cruisers. Since the inception of Evening are there still a number of men who dress up in Tux's or suits?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

I think your question may be premature.

The way things are going with Celebrity (and other lines as well) there can be many many more changes to not only dress code but other things too :)

The OP was asking about our observation. There have not been any med cruises yet to observe. We all have our opinions on how people are and will be dressing, but that is not what the poster asked.