Celebrity Cruise African Safari

jweb1231

Has anyone taken the Celebrity Cruise African Safari vacation before a Celebrity Cruise? Thoughts? Reviews?

:confused:

Which cruise is this?

I have done many African Safaris - but never seen a cruisetour with this?

Details?:)

Are you sure this is still offered? Not sure you can plan on Istanbul and Black Sea cruise anymore.

I have priced African Safaris and they are very expensive. I suggest that you compare with others prior to booking.

I did extensive research on safaris before booking ours for this coming summer. Based on what I researched, the price listed here seems high for the length of the trip, given that two+ of the days are little more than travel days. I found much longer safari trips for not much more than what was listed. If all you are looking for is an add-on to another trip, go for it. If you really want a bonafide safari experience, you can probably do much better planning it as a separate trip. Just my .02. YMMV

If I was looking at Safari's I would be heading to Southern Africa and avoiding Kenya. Lots of travel advisories for Kenya, including Nairobi.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kenya

South Africa is a great country for a holiday, but as a late colleague of mine who lived in South Africa used to say "Africa isn't for cissies" - you do need your wits about you. Food and lodging outside the game reserves is very cheap and excellent quality

Edited by DYKWIA

If I was looking at Safari's I would be heading to Southern Africa and avoiding Kenya. Lots of travel advisories for Kenya, including Nairobi. South Africa is a great country for a holiday, but as a late colleague of mine who lived in South Africa used to say "Africa isn't for cissies" - you do need your wits about you. Food and lodging outside the game reserves is very cheap and excellent quality

Appreciate these good questions, comments and information about Africa and safari options/potentials. Yes, on paper, that "fly down from the Med" option with Celebrity gets you there. You can say you did some safari experiences. BUT, as noted, there are some serious challenges and questions about Kenya, plus the "net timing" you could get out in safari's being rather narrow and limited. Is it worth the time and money to do just a short trip down and back?

Agree that much in and around South Africa has many pluses to consider. Check out my live/blog below with lots of pictures and details. Below are just a few quick visual samples for what we saw and did as we sailed along that coast of South Africa earlier this year.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 11,622 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area.

From South Africa's iSimangaliso Wetland Park near Richards Bay during our two-day, overnight adventure, we saw lots of hippos!! It was late in the afternoon, providing perfect light, as we sailed on a waterway near St. Lucia. Here is one example below for these fast and deadly hippos. They kill the most of all creatures in Africa. More to worry about hippos than lions, etc. This park is home to about 1,200 Nile Crocodiles and almost 800 Hippopotami per Wikipedia, plus lots of birds, etc.:

Africa2016PixsC12%201_zps6mbm1gni.jpg

When the park is called an “elephant park”, what would you expect there? Yes, elephants!! Here is one sample elephant visual to share from Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth (or PE) along the South Africa Coast. Don’t you just love these baby elephants that are so super cute?:

Africa2016PixsC16_zpsrifjmtgz.jpg

While at Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth, we saw several ostriches, including the adult male and female, both with very different colorations/coats. But, I also managed to get several shots of just of their three “babies”. This one view is a top favorite as the three heads are aligned in a special and very interesting angle. Agree that this one picture is a “super keeper”?:

Africa2016PixsC18_zpsppgigvnd.jpg

Here is a sampling from Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve near Richards Bay, South Africa, during our two-day, overnight adventure at this location. First shows a dramatic and wind-blown example of a male Kudu right after sunrise. Second shows what it is like being surrounded by a herd of Cape Buffalo. Is this being close enough to get that "stare"? At this park location, we found out what was so “personal” for being with a large White Rhino and to see this male ring both spraying (peeing) over and over, plus pooping right near us. I will spare showing those details here. This park has been a world leader in saving the White Rhino.:

Africa2016PixsC14_zpspqexjnaz.jpg

Africa2016PixsC13_zps0qvz4x58.jpg

This is the Africian Safari add on we are thinking about booking before a Norwegian fjords cruise. Know how Celebrity is as a cruise line but don't know how they are as a land tour operator. Just wondering if anyone has ever gone on this tour and what they thought?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/celebrity-exploration-africa-europe?allowMobile=y&ecid=em_21085641&rid=142871944&mes=Celebrity%20Explorations%20DM%20T2%20W2%20EM&emsc=CPGXPLORATIONDM&empf=Y&emct=E&lnkid=EXP_AFRICA2

The Zambezi Queen portion of the Celebrity Safari Package can be booked seperately, therefore you can customize your safari experience to your own needs. We are doing Cape Town, South Africa safaris, Victoria Falls and the Zambezi Queen next month. Celebrity only charters the boat for specific dates, then adds on their own arranged land portions. Much more cost effective to book the cruise portion by itself. Ask you travel agent, or google Zambezi Queen, you don't need to book thru Celebrity. The cruise is the same without the high price tag.

Thank you OP was asking this and for the informed replies. Our friends have booked the X package with the Norway cruise. Compared to others I've checked, the price is pretty reasonable IMO. However, we've already done Norway and won't be going with them. I do agree it's not much time in Africa and we're continuing to look for other options. All the other options I've seen so far do not include air and are much more expensive. It's a lot of flying from North America to Africa just for a few days. The one linked is not the one that our friends are on as theirs goes to Victoria Falls. I'm looking at trips that include that.

Edited by HokiePoq

If I was looking at Safari's I would be heading to Southern Africa and avoiding Kenya. Lots of travel advisories for Kenya, including Nairobi.

Tanzania (eastern Afica) is another wonderful option to consider for safaris!

This is the Africian Safari add on we are thinking about booking before a Norwegian fjords cruise. Know how Celebrity is as a cruise line but don't know how they are as a land tour operator.

Celebrity is not a land tour operator. In this case they are simply acting as a travel agent. They would be sub-contracting out the actual tour (safari) services.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kenya

Important to note: The advisory listed specifically states that it does NOT include safari areas, such as the Serengeti region, which is in southern Kenya along the Tanzanian border. The main area of concern appears to be far eastern Kenya, along and in close proximity to the border with Somalia.... an area that is not going to be on a typical safari itinerary.

The Zambezi Queen portion of the Celebrity Safari Package can be booked seperately, therefore you can customize your safari experience to your own needs. We are doing Cape Town, South Africa safaris, Victoria Falls and the Zambezi Queen next month. Celebrity only charters the boat for specific dates, then adds on their own arranged land portions. Much more cost effective to book the cruise portion by itself. Ask you travel agent, or google Zambezi Queen, you don't need to book thru Celebrity. The cruise is the same without the high price tag.

ptrpanpens: Terry' date=' Thank you for the[b'] fantastic photos[/b]. I would love to go to South Africa but not sure I will ever get there...in the meantime, really enjoying your blog.

Appreciate this kind comment on my photos and that you are enjoying my blog. For Poconolady, glad that you are having an upcoming trip that includes South Africa, Cape Town, Victoria Falls and riding on the Zambezi Queen. Good luck with this exciting adventure!!

That ride on the Zambezi Queen worked much better than we expected. As I detailed on my blog, we got to see lots of interesting animals and birds during that sailing. PLUS, a great, scenic sunset!!! Below is one picture below that I had not posted previously that illustrates the view from the back of the Zambezi Queen as we were sailing back and enjoying the sunset. If any added questions, just post on my live/blog and I will respond.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 196,617 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a view from the back of the Zambezi Queen as we sailed that famous river and enjoyed the setting sun. Very scenic and interesting!!:

April2016Pis1%201_zpsne1dnflc.jpg

Important to note: The advisory listed specifically states that it does NOT include safari areas, such as the Serengeti region, which is in southern Kenya along the Tanzanian border. The main area of concern appears to be far eastern Kenya, along and in close proximity to the border with Somalia.... an area that is not going to be on a typical safari itinerary.

There is a specific threat for part of Nairobi, this tour indicates you will be staying in Nairobi for part of the time

This is an amazing tour - and most likely operated by Somak -

I have been to all of these places many times - Kenya is just my favourite country in the world - I love it - and the people.

Personally South Africa is not for me -

Kenya all the way

Nairobi hotels are palatial - I don't know I would do this as part of a cruise though - Mombasa Beach - Tanzania, Tsavo East and West are too good to miss!

Thank you OP was asking this and for the informed replies. Our friends have booked the X package with the Norway cruise. Compared to others I've checked, the price is pretty reasonable IMO. However, we've already done Norway and won't be going with them. I do agree it's not much time in Africa and we're continuing to look for other options. All the other options I've seen so far do not include air and are much more expensive. It's a lot of flying from North America to Africa just for a few days. The one linked is not the one that our friends are on as theirs goes to Victoria Falls. I'm looking at trips that include that.

We are booked for a 15 day trip including safari, Victoria Falls, Cape Town.

http://kanyezisafari.org/

There is a specific threat for part of Nairobi, this tour indicates you will be staying in Nairobi for part of the time

I'm not the one going, that was another poster. I didn't look at the itinerary in detail; assumed the Nairobi portion of the trip was simply due to flying in and out of the airport there before heading out on safari. Whoever the poster in question was will need to decide their comfort level with doing so, but can at least rest easier knowing the safari areas where they will presumably spend the majority of their time in Kenya are not under any particular threat. :)

Thank you for all your responses but it looks like we wont be booking the Africa add on. We had asked some questions about a statement that was newly posted to their explorations website and come to find out the airfare is now NOT included. It still states that it is included in the terms and conditions and on all the explorations website. All Celebrity has to say is that there website is confusing even though I pointed out to them it still clearly states that airfare is included!! Thank goodness that we only had a deposit made and not the last payment. I would still be waiting for an airline ticket!! Has anyone else experience Celebrity changing things in the middle of your booking? If so how was it resolved? Thanks again.

Thank you for all your responses but it looks like we wont be booking the Africa add on. We had asked some questions about a statement that was newly posted to their explorations website and come to find out the airfare is now NOT included. It still states that it is included in the terms and conditions and on all the explorations website. All Celebrity has to say is that there website is confusing even though I pointed out to them it still clearly states that airfare is included!! Thank goodness that we only had a deposit made and not the last payment. I would still be waiting for an airline ticket!! Has anyone else experience Celebrity changing things in the middle of your booking? If so how was it resolved? Thanks again.

I wonder if people who have already booked will have their airfare included? When our friend showed us that, the price seemed too good to be true. None of the other companies I'm pricing have included the airfare. He's already booked so this will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Just went and read the Explorations website. That statement says "airfare credit" but, as you said, the terms and conditions explicitly say air is included. I wonder how many have booked under these terms and conditions. And the "from" costs listed...wonder if they have included air or whatever credit they are talking about. Very confusing.

We looked at this when we were on the Solstice and decided there was too much travel time and too little time in Africa and too fly all night & immediately board a ship isn't for us.

That's why we didn't book this as well. Our friends we normally travel with have, seemingly at a low price compared to others I've been pricing. I am looking at spending at least two weeks in Africa to justify the long flight.