Getting off ship?

Winemyst

I'm thinking of booking an independent shore excursion that strongly encourages you to be first off the ship when it docks at 8am. How easy is this to do? Do you need to line up early? In the past I've done ship excursions or just grabbed a taxi and never given it a second thought. I've also never sailed celebrity.

If you are docked departing the ship will be far quicker than if you have to tender. Also, if you have to go through immigration, either US or another country, that could slow you down. We book a lot of private tours and tour companies will wait a reasonable amount of time for you after you dock.

If you are tendering, those on ship's excursions will be able to depart first. If you are elite, you get priority tendering.

I'm thinking of booking an independent shore excursion that strongly encourages you to be first off the ship when it docks at 8am. How easy is this to do? Do you need to line up early? In the past I've done ship excursions or just grabbed a taxi and never given it a second thought. I've also never sailed celebrity.

Am assuming from your post the ship is docking and not tendering. Thus they can get about 100 people off in just 5 minutes. It goes really fast.

Also every independent excursion suggests you get off first - actually they mean as quickly as possible - but the issue is if you have a group you always end up waiting for someone. If there is not an immigration issue at your port everyone who is in line when you dock should be off in 10-15 minutes at most.

If you are docked departing the ship will be far quicker than if you have to tender. Also, if you have to go through immigration, either US or another country, that could slow you down. We book a lot of private tours and tour companies will wait a reasonable amount of time for you after you dock.

If you are tendering, those on ship's excursions will be able to depart first. If you are elite, you get priority tendering.

I'm not sure that is accurate any longer. Many have reported that there is no longer priority tendering, but I have not experienced it for myself.

Tendering is slow for everyone. They can only load two boats at a time and depending on the distance it is a 15-30 minute turn around.

If it is a docked port then the OP has no issue. he can line up and everyone will be off within minutes unless it is a port overseas that has an immigration station.

The OP needs to give us the complete picture.

Its Barbados so we are docked I believe. The reason I asked is people who did this private excursion on other cruise lines lined up almost an hour before the port arrival time. For example they lined up at 7am even though they couldn't get off till 8am. Didn't know if that was really necessary or they were being extra cautious.

Its Barbados so we are docked I believe. The reason I asked is people who did this private excursion on other cruise lines lined up almost an hour before the port arrival time. For example they lined up at 7am even though they couldn't get off till 8am. Didn't know if that was really necessary or they were being extra cautious.
Lining up early should not be necessary. Once the ship has been cleared, everyone who wants to get off early should be able to walk off the ship within about 15 minutes.

Not everyone on the ship will want to get off so early in Barbados. Many like to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast. Some passengers book later excursions or go off on their own. Some even stay on the ship and do not get off at all.

If you have a cell phone with you, you can call your tour operator to let them know you are there in case there is a delay and they need to wait for you. As long as you let them know you are there and trying to get off the ship, most tour operators will do their best to try to accommodate you.

Edited by fleckle

You won't have a problem at the pier in Barbados. Depending on your docking area you could have a hike to the port. That's probably why the tour operator has encouraged you to exit the ship so swiftly.

You do have to go through the port and shops area. The tour busses are generally to your left as you exit the arcade. FYI the shops to your right as you enter the arcade have doors to both sides and passing through the shops is a shortcut. Once on the other side of the shops the exits are clearly marked with port police and local aides available to assist you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Don't worry, Winemyst. Barbados is a very easy port to disembark at and I'm sure you'll have no problems getting off about 15 mins. after the ship docks. Even if there are 200 people in line, it'd take maybe 15 mins. to get them off and the only reason it'd take that long is because some people are idiots and don't have their seapass card ready to be zapped by the machine when they walk off. :rolleyes: