Ship Time vs Port Time

scuddles

Ok so I know this can't be this hard but for some reason I have a hard time with Ship Time vs Port Time. We will be on the Breeze next Jan. out of Galveston. I read somewhere that the Western Caribbean time is the same as Galveston and that there is no time difference in January. My biggest fear is that we will end up at a port bar at the end of an excursion and be one of the "Pier Runners!" If we leave port at 6, 5, and 4 pm respectively, what time do we need to be back on the ship?

1/18/2017 Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM

1/19/2017 Belize 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

1/20/2017 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM

Hi Stephanie

5:30, 4:30, and 3:30 p.m. ***ship's time***

make sure you understand if there is a difference (don't ask someone at your port of call what time it is)

don't forget that if there is any schedule change it will usually be noted in the "fun times" you get the night before.

a habit you can get into if you are still not confident is to just ask/confirm the time when they ping your card as you leave the ship

have a great cruise

I looked up the time zones on your cruise... all Central Time Zone. As a rule, we always set our watch to ship time. If it does change during the cruise we reset it before going to sleep. That way we don't get up late. Have fun! Mike

You must be back on board 1/2 hour prior to sailing. As mentioned by ffmikey, bring a watch and set it to ships time. Do not rely on phones or tablets, as time can change on them in different time zones. Then just change the time when you hear an announcement or read it in the fun times. We have wound up at a few port bars also but never had a problem getting back on time.

Buy a Casio waterproof watch from Amazon (or from anywhere); most models cost between $15-$20.

After you board, simply go to Guest Services and ask them for the ship's time, set your watch and don't change it for the duration of the cruise.

No need to try and figure out the port time, though in your case it seems it might be the same.

Edited by hirent

Buy a Casio waterproof watch from Amazon (or from anywhere); most models cost between $15-$20.

After you board, simply go to Guest Services and ask them for the ship's time, set your watch and don't change it for the duration of the cruise.

No need to try and figure out the port time, though in your case it seems it might be the same.

^^ This is a foolproof method ^^

Then you no longer have to worry/stress over this

Sailing out of Galveston on the 5 day to Progresso and Cozumel, ship time and port times match as one other poster stated.

As far as I understand, ship times stays the same as the port you leave from, so that is what you should leave your watch set too.

There are clocks at EVERY exit on the ship. Make sure your WATCH...not your cell phone...shows the same time as the ship's clocks! That is SHIP TIME. That's all that matters!

If you make sure your WATCH is set to ship's time, there is no reason to miss the ship! Local time doesn't matter one bit. Cell phones will show local time...and that can screw you up royally!

Edited by cb at sea

In January, ship time and port time between Galveston and Cozumel WILL BE DIFFERENT. Cozumel stays on Eastern Standard Time throughout the year. So during January, it will be the same time as Washington, DC and one hour ahead of Galveston (which is on Central Time). Ships time between Galveston and Cozumel would be the same during the summer months when we are on DST so "Spring Forward".

In January, ship time and port time between Galveston and Cozumel WILL BE DIFFERENT. Cozumel stays on Eastern Standard Time throughout the year. So during January, it will be the same time as Washington, DC and one hour ahead of Galveston (which is on Central Time). Ships time between Galveston and Cozumel would be the same during the summer months when we are on DST so "Spring Forward".

This is where I got confused but I think the watch idea would be a great idea and I think I will just buy a bunch of colored ones and give them to the teens as well. That way no one can say they didn't know what time it was.

This is where I got confused but I think the watch idea would be a great idea and I think I will just buy a bunch of colored ones and give them to the teens as well. That way no one can say they didn't know what time it was.

denas is correct. Cozumel will be one hour ahead of ship time when you're sailing. If you have an independent excursion, or any kind of program booked there, take note of the time difference. We had a dolphin swim booked for there, and they will not adjust for your ship's time. That is island time, and will always be island time. So when Cozumel is one hour later than ship time, like for you, people will be late for their non-Carnival dolphin swim if they ignore island time. So, some people do need to know the time difference for things like that. That is why it is bad advice to tell everyone that ship's time is all that matters, & everyone should ignore island time. That's not true for everyone. Even some non-Carnival-based tours do not adjust for ship time. Most do, but some don't, so it's not smart to just assume that they will adjust. Some people on your cruise might miss their non-Carnival tour because of this time difference.

But in your case, you didn't bring up anything like that. You just mentioned the concerns about being a pier runner. If that's the only issue you have, then you can totally ignore island time. The watch, set to ship time, is all that you will need to take care of that concern.

Edited by k2excursion