How to find if cruiseline will take your passport from you

LottaWata

From a risk perspective, I'd be more concerned with giving up my credit card at a restaurant or bar and having it out of my sight than I would be giving up my passport.

With all of the new underhanded technology available, they don't even have to take your card out of your sight to have the number and counterfeit a whole new card.

Celebrity has done the wait in line thing a few times for US immigration. Once we had to wait in line, and the end of the line was a the theatre, and of course the beginning was in the MDR. They gave us a sticker we needed for our seapass card before they'd let us ashore.

I always feel somewhat relieved when I get to the ship and my passport is either in the room safe or held by the ship. But I'm known for putting things in a safe place that I'm sure to remember... still looking for my copy of our bank lockbox key.

On a Miami to San Francisco Panama Canal cruise in January 2016 we had to give our passport to the ship to hold until we got to L.A.

Dang!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakrewser viewpost.gif

Could you give us a hint as to why you wish to hold on to your passport at all costs?

OP could you please tell us why you wish to hold onto your passport. Please don't limit the marvellous experience of travel because of an unnecessary fear.

end Quote.

All right you people who think if I can explain why I want to keep my passport, my ID, with me in a foreign country so you can try to convince me I'm silly.

I've been doing some more research on this and I'm not the only one who finds it uncomfortable to be without your passport.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=58518

Here is what Knighton says the State Department told her:

"If you plan on leaving the ship at ports of call, you need to have your passport with you. You cannot travel in a foreign country, such as Italy, without a valid passport. We would recommend discussing this further with the cruise line. There is no reason for them to retain your valid passport."

Your passport is your ID in a foreign country. If you get picked up by the police or miss the ship and need to leave the country by other means - you should have your passport with you. I understand that many of you more adept at travel than I are fine with leaving your passport with the ship and don't even want it with you. That's fine with me if that's what you want to do. I would rather not.

I still think I'll be just as happy exploring the northwestern hemisphere only, and even just this country.

All right you people who think if I can explain why I want to keep my passport, my ID, with me in a foreign country so you can try to convince me I'm silly.

I've been doing some more research on this and I'm not the only one who finds it uncomfortable to be without your passport.

"If you plan on leaving the ship at ports of call, you need to have your passport with you. You cannot travel in a foreign country, such as Italy, without a valid passport. We would recommend discussing this further with the cruise line. There is no reason for them to retain your valid passport."

Your passport is your ID in a foreign country. If you get picked up by the police or miss the ship and need to leave the country by other means - you should have your passport with you. I understand that many of you more adept at travel than I are fine with leaving your passport with the ship and don't even want it with you. That's fine with me if that's what you want to do. I would rather not.

I still think I'll be just as happy exploring the northwestern hemisphere only, and even just this country.

If you miss the ship, they know you aren't on board and have quick access to your passport if they are holding it. We read often about how passengers' passports are left with the port agents in such cases.

It would be unfortunate that this issue would prevent you from traveling outside the USA. Millions and millions of people travel internationally and manage OK.

Edited by Boytjie

A couple of suggestions for the OP:

I believe you can apply for a passport card in addition to the passport book, so you could always carry the card with you for identification.

And if you ask the front desk for your passport before you leave the ship at a port they'll give it to you, or that is what is reported by passengers on the world cruise who leave the ship for overland tours. Wouldn't the ship return it to you at your request? And then you return it back to the ship when you come back on board so that it is available for inspection by authorities when needed. Anybody have any experience with that approach?

I believe you can apply for a passport card in addition to the passport book, so you could always carry the card with you for identification.

And if you ask the front desk for your passport before you leave the ship at a port they'll give it to you, or that is what is reported by passengers on the world cruise who leave the ship for overland tours. Wouldn't the ship return it to you at your request? And then you return it back to the ship when you come back on board so that it is available for inspection by authorities when needed. Anybody have any experience with that approach?

I had a problem with this a year ago when we boarded the Volendam at Singapore. There was a table right where we went aboard where they collected our passports and gave us a receipt for them. After getting settled we had a couple of hours before "all aboard" and I wanted to walk off and do a little shopping before getting underway. They wouldn't give me back the passport stating that they were no longer at the table where we surrendered them and they couldn't retrieve them from the purser's office at that time. So I stayed aboard until the next port. That was the only time surrendering the passport on board was an inconvenience. However, I do remember an incident a few years ago when we were in a line to the front desk to turn in our passports prior to entering some port. A man came to the line and started shouting People, They are taking your passport - Don't let them take your passport!!"

Do whatever makes you comfortable, LottaWata. For anyone else reading this thread: Your passport is not your firstborn son. Let the cruise line hold your passport when they want to. You will not be sold into white slavery.

Don't count on getting an accurate verbal verification of this from any cruise company.. :)

Many times Immigrations officials change their rules while the ship is underway.. Even those countries in the northwestern hemisphere could change their minds about holding passports & clearing arrival ships, especially if there has been political unrest or terrorist attacks..

(bold is mine) Good point. Changes in rules do happen, especially on world cruises where there are so many different ports, each with its own rules. I've talked to purser's staff about this and they HATE it. They take holding your passport seriously. They have to account for the passports and keep them safe. Then give them all back for the next port. Then a few ports later, collect them again.

Celebrity has done the wait in line thing a few times for US immigration. Once we had to wait in line, and the end of the line was a the theatre, and of course the beginning was in the MDR. They gave us a sticker we needed for our seapass card before they'd let us ashore.

I've done onboard US Immigration inspection lots of times. It's rarely easy. Except on HAL. Maybe it's the smaller ships, maybe it's the inspectors at Bar Harbor. But I've done Immigration onboard in Bar Harbor twice with HAL. Smooth and easy! Cunard, on the other hand, always makes a total hash of it, with the line stretching the length of the ship. This goes back to the days of QE2. I dread Immigration inspection when I'm on Cunard. Several times, it has been the only bad thing in an otherwise perfect trip. (They always tell passengers not enough inspectors showed up--really, EVERY TIME?????)

Yes, there are countries where you are required to carry your passport with you. (The Prinsendam in Germany comes to mind). In those cases, the cruise line will either wait until you've left those countries to collect your passport or give it back to you for the duration of your visit to that country. I've never had a cruise line hold my passport when I needed it.

Roy

LottaWata,

I certainly support your personal decision to not travel outside the US if that is your decision. There are many wonderful places to visit in our beautiful country. Have fun!

One comment though - I would NOT automatically take the word of the average State Department phone answering employee on such questions, just as I would not take the answer from a HAL employee as gospel in terms of onboard realities.

Now 50 years ago when I first started international travel it was true. Except that hotels in most countries kept your passports from the moment you checked in until you checked out , you were always required to carry your passports - and there were random checks. Now even when stopped for traffic violations in may countries - you may not even asked for your passport - just a drivers license.

At the end of the day the decision at any port will be made by the requirements of the ship. The ship must carry the documents, passport etc that are demanded by the Immigration Officials at THAT PORT.

If the ship wants it then you will give it to them. If they need it they will keep it. If you want to take it ashore and they tell you it is OK, then they will give it to you.

This is implied when you join the ship at the beginning of the cruise. One of the reasons they want you have it and will have it valid at least for 6 months by the end of the cruise. If you fail to comply then you will be deny boarding or your WILL cause the ship will not be cleared at the port before ANY passenger or crewmember will be allowed to get off the ship. The Immigration Officials set the rules at any port in the world.

LottaWata,

Now 50 years ago when I first started international travel it was true. Except that hotels in most countries kept your passports from the moment you checked in until you checked out , you were always required to carry your passports - and there were random checks. Now even when stopped for traffic violations in may countries - you may not even asked for your passport - just a drivers license.

Up until about 10-15 years ago, at least in Italy, the hotel was required to take your passport when you checked in then had to present it to the local police station for registration (and, presumably, a background check) that same day.

If driving in Europe you are best advised to get an International Driver's License (obtainable through AAA) which has all the necessary info in a multitude of languages. Don't count on the constable in Poggibonsi to be able to read English!

Edited by dakrewser

Up until about 10-15 years ago, at least in Italy, the hotel was required to take your passport when you checked in then had to present it to the local police station for registration (and, presumably, a background check) that same day.

QUOTE]

Yes, if you are cruising and intend to stay ( max two hours) in a hotel for short purposes it is definitely NOT the best idea to use your passport. Use any ID will work... usually with any name like... John Smith or better sr Giovanni Fabbro!!!!!:D

If the ship wants it then you will give it to them. If they need it they will keep it. If you want to take it ashore and they tell you it is OK, then they will give it to you.

I like it! Succinct, direct and to the point! :)

We cruised extensively in Europe over the last couple of years.

HAL didn't take our passports in the Mediterranean until just befor arriving in Turkey as they were required to be sighted by the Turkish Authorities.

They gave us a receipt and we went and got our passports back by handing in the receipts.

If it is a requirement by a country that you are visiting that you carry your passport HAL will not be holding it and they will remind you to make sure you carry it.

If you get somehow get left behind - HAL will remove your passport from your safe and hand it to the port agent.

I think you are over worrying about this. No need to ring the Authorities to tell you what to do. HAL will tell you in each port what the requirements are.

Edited by Stratheden

Hi,

I've read on Cruise Critic that for certain countries/ports, that the cruise ship takes possession of your passport. This is to either expedite the entry into the country/port process, or to keep your passport safe from thieves.

I don't want the cruise ship to take possession of my passport for any reason. Therefore, I'm trying to find out, before I get to a lot of planning, which countries/ports I should avoid. Is there somewhere I can look this info up online? Or do y'all have personal observations to help with this?

It would be nice to learn of an easy way to look at all countries/ports for this info, but I am specifically looking at doing a Panama Canal cruise just now.

Thank you.

What is your big issue with surrendering your passport especially as everyone else on the ship does not have a problem with it.

DON

If you get somehow get left behind - HAL will remove your passport from your safe and hand it to the port agent.

'IF' you have the passport with you. No problem.

'IF' you have left the passport with care of the Purser. No problem.

'IF' you left your passport in your cabin safe. No problem.

'IF' you have left it hidden I some other place in your cabin as in a drawer, or a locked suitcase under your bed.... BIG PROBLEM!!!!

If your passport is needed then no one will know where to look for it.

More passports are probably lost or stolen when ashore than other reason and then you will need it to get home. Unless you are told by Officals to take it ashore, best is to take a photocopy with you... or one of those 'passport cards'.

Passport cards have been mentioned but they have limited use.

You can use it to enter the USA by land or sea (on a closed loop cruise). You can't fly home from a foreign territory with it. It may be useful in identifying you in getting a replacement passport in a foreign country. Other than Canada and Mexico I don't think any country accepts it as valid ID for international travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name=Bowie MeMe;49672006)The usual process on a ship is that your cabin steward collects them and returns them

We have had to turn in our passports on cruises' date=' quite a few times, but never to our cabin steward. I don't think I would be comfortable with that ... usually there has been a desk set up and security & GR staff take the passports & give out receipts ... [/color']

Dang!

LottaWata You guoted a post which was started 12 years ago!! In post No. 3 of that thread it was stated "NEVER carry your original passport ashore with you" .. Knighton, who started that thread in 2004 was very naïve & the State Department Clerk who told her Never let the Cruise Line hold your passport is totally incorrect..

Carrying your original passport in ports is more dangerous than having the ship hold it or leaving it in the safe..As others have mentioned if any country requires the original passport HAL will give it back to you for the day..

Please relax & don't be overly paranoid about not giving up your passport.. By limiting yourself to the Western Hemph.. you will miss out on many wonderful cruises & areas of the world..

Carry a photocopy of your passport & you will be fine.. :) If you don't listen to us at least listen to Topsham (AKA Capt. Card) .. He knows more about ships & cruise travel than anyone I know.. He also

is a retired Officer in the shipping industry & an accomplished artist!

Please forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse! Cheers

Edited by serendipity1499

Hi,

I've read on Cruise Critic that for certain countries/ports, that the cruise ship takes possession of your passport. This is to either expedite the entry into the country/port process, or to keep your passport safe from thieves.

I don't want the cruise ship to take possession of my passport for any reason. Therefore, I'm trying to find out, before I get to a lot of planning, which countries/ports I should avoid. Is there somewhere I can look this info up online? Or do y'all have personal observations to help with this?

It would be nice to learn of an easy way to look at all countries/ports for this info, but I am specifically looking at doing a Panama Canal cruise just now.

Thank you.

I guess that you have to miss the rest of the world - your loss.

DON

Hotels in Spain held our passports for a few hours in just the past two weeks. Our tour leader told us it was a new procedure, based on the Brussels attacks.

Coming home, we were required to go through two additional screening stations at Madrid airport before entering the gate areas served by American Airlines - quick questions confirming our zip code/purpose of visit, etc. This was after the usual initial security screening of carryons, etc. that follows initial check-in.

These stations were obviously set up fairly quickly with podiums, and movable barriers, so things can change on short notice.

In Spain, we left passports in hotel safe, carried photocopies, with no problems. Would have needed passports for bank transactions.