New to Princess, info on Diamond Princess

frankie 57

Hi,

We are going on Diamond Princess visiting Japan in August. Please give us some advice as we are new to Princess but get platinum level due to P&O trips.

1, Best bars and places to relax?

2, Is the Japanese Bath and Sanctuary worth the money?

3, Saw somewhere a breakdown of drink costs to decide on Soda and more package and all inclusive?

4, Best pool for a couple?

5, If we are in Japan will there be a kettle in the room?

Too many questions I know but general advice greatly appreciated.

Hi,

We are going on Diamond Princess visiting Japan in August. Please give us some advice as we are new to Princess but get platinum level due to P&O trips.

1, Best bars and places to relax?

2, Is the Japanese Bath and Sanctuary worth the money?

3, Saw somewhere a breakdown of drink costs to decide on Soda and more package and all inclusive?

4, Best pool for a couple?

5, If we are in Japan will there be a kettle in the room?

Too many questions I know but general advice greatly appreciated.

1. Lots of nice bars, Lobby bar very popular (but can also be busy) we loved Explorers when nothing on there. We spent a lot of time sitting in the semi covered area just outside the Buffet

2. We didn't think the baths or sanctuary were worth the money, remember that in Japan the baths with be naked.

3. Not a drinker but always get the soda package, - and my prices would be Aus so not much help sorry

4. Can't remember the name but the undercover pool was nice

5. No idea about the kettle sorry.

Sound advice about drinks,do not drink much, how does the soda package work?

It's around $7 or $8 a day (depends on where you are and what currency is in use)

That includes soft drink (soda) the gun variety. Shakes, if you are on a ship that has them, and Virgin Cocktails.

Without the package they cost (again varies slightly)

Soda $2.50

Cocktail $5

Shakes $2.75

So I have no trouble getting value from it.

You just present your card (which has a sticker on it to show you have the package) and they give you your drink.

If you drink a lot of soda it is worth getting a drink from the bar near the pool (where they give you a large tumbler) before you head to the MDR where the glasses can be a touch small. After a day or two a Goid waiter will catch on and keep a tumbler floating around for you.

Hi 'Frankie'

We are also on this cruise, it will be our 3rd cruise and we have only sailed with Princess. For our first cruise we should have been sailing with NCL as part of a holiday package but were able to switch to Princess after doing all our research on Cruise Critic and we are very happy with them.

We haven't been on the Diamond but we have some U.S. Friends who are elite members. Apparently the ships that sail the Orient are adapted to cater accordingly so this cruise could be a lot different to what we are used to. Our U.S. friends won't do an Oriental voyage for this reason :confused:

It will be interesting......

There are no kettles on Princess ships for h&s reasons. (Or do you mean the hotel in Japan?) Room service is available or you can take a flask with you and fill up with hot drinks or water from the buffet area before retiring for the evening.

We had some travel mugs that we were given with a coffee card and just filled them with hot chocolate for supper and took them back to the cabin.

The second time we took a flask with us and filled it with hot water for in the cabin as there is a good selection of teabags.

If you like your coffee then you may wish to purchase a coffee card for speciality coffees such as lattes and cappuccinos. There's about 15 drinks on a card and there is no expiration date, you can carry them over to your next cruise.

The free coffee in the buffet isn't to everyone's taste as its like a syrup but I drink coffee and I found it ok. Probably because I often drink instant at home ;)

Soda packages are good value if you drink a lot of cold drinks, bear in mind though that you can take on board as much water and soft drinks as you like.

We purchased a soda package each for the kids. It includes a free tumbler as mentioned and quite often you can just use that to refill as the staff don't check the sticker on your card as they get to know you. A bit cheeky I know but we scrounged a couple of free sodas off the kids that way.....

We're not big drinkers so we just purchased alcoholic drinks when we fancied one and the odd bottle of wine at dinner. The prices are reasonable and not really any more than what you would pay in the UK at a decent restaurant.

You are allowed to take 1 bottle of wine each on board to drink in your cabin or you can drink it in the restaurant for a $15 corkage fee, which isn't worth it IMO.

(Check that though as it may be different for Japan cruises)

For relaxing you can't beat your own balcony! Or we liked the teak chairs on the side decks which are usually quiet if you take a good book! ;)

Edited by Mad dogs and Englishmen

2. We didn't think the baths or sanctuary were worth the money, remember that in Japan the baths with be naked.

I remember reading that part of the day is with bathing suits, part of the day naked (one sex at a time)

Soda & More: It's around $7 or $8 a day (depends on where you are and what currency is in use)

That includes soft drink (soda) the gun variety. Shakes, if you are on a ship that has them, and Virgin Cocktails.

Without the package they cost (again varies slightly)

Soda $2.50

Cocktail $5

Shakes $2.75

Also includes juice (not fresh squeezed OJ) at hours other than breakfast during which juice is at no cost for everyone.

Not valid for room service.

Last August there were kettles in staterooms on the Diamond. Whether they remove them for other sectors not sure. The Izumi bath was a fantastic experience. We were very hesitant at first, but thankfully we were the only ones in there and it was very relaxing. The mist shower is wonderful.

I am writing not for post but your last name. It was my maidan name and not seen often. I am originally from northwest Indiana near Chicago and my parents from Poland. Maybe a distant relative down the line somewhere?

Edited by ocaladee
contact right person

Yes, there will be kettles in the cabins when Diamond sails around Japan. A picture of our kettle here somewhere on this page of my blog. We sailed on the Diamond July of last year.

Thank you for posting this, great blog! It's given us a great idea of what to expect and the kettle will be a bonus! :)

Just spotted the fixed soap dispensers in the bathroom. I usually take some toiletries home for our local homeless shelter.

Thank you for posting this, great blog! It's given us a great idea of what to expect and the kettle will be a bonus! :)

Just spotted the fixed soap dispensers in the bathroom. I usually take some toiletries home for our local homeless shelter.

Thank you very much for the kind words! The kettle was a great PLUS on our cruise around Japan. I needed to take medication first thing in the morning with warm water. It saved me a trip up to the buffet to fill my thermos every night before bed time. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

Good info esp TO cruiser, great blog, May ask more questions once I have time to read all your info.

Thank you! Loved our Japan cruise and it was the best cruise we had. Will gladly answer any question you may have. Have a great cruise on the Diamond!

What puzzles me is if kettles are safe around Japan why are they banned everywhere else.

I took one on the royal on a 16day cruise had no problems get it on and gave to the cabin steward after the cruise he seemed happy to keep it

Thank you very much for the kind words! The kettle was a great PLUS on our cruise around Japan. I needed to take medication first thing in the morning with warm water. It saved me a trip up to the buffet to fill my thermos every night before bed time. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you :)

We have booked it for our 25th wedding anniversary, looking forward to it now!

• 2 months later...
I took one on the royal on a 16day cruise had no problems get it on and gave to the cabin steward after the cruise he seemed happy to keep it

It seems to be a case of 'demand' RCCL now have kettles in their Asian cruises as the chinese market demand it due to their high consumption of various types of tea. Some of their ships leave them on for Aust tours, but some don't, their seems to be no understanding why I can have a kettle on the Explorer, but can't on the Brilliance. I believe they now supply them for UK cruises. I would almost book a cruise based on whether I could get hot water easily first thing in the morning for a coffee without waiting for room service. The H & S excuse is just an excuse, they can supply them if they want.

We think the Sanctuary is worth the money but that's because our idea of relaxation is somewhere quiet with a handy pool where we can relax and read all day. On Princess we mostly book inside cabins rather than balconys and spend some of the difference on the Sanctuary. We really loved being up in the Sanctuary when going through Torres Strait on our last cruise. Fantastic views from our very comfortable sunloungers.

I haven't cruised on Diamond so haven't tried the Japanese Bath but have been to Japan and loved the onsen there.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are booked on the DP "Grand Asia" cruise ex Beijing in Nov 2016.

We're intending to take a power board/strip to charge our electronic devices.

How many power sockets will we find in our cabin, and what standard plug style will they accept?

We've been told they will be "North American/US" style wall sockets, so we'll need to bring a converter/adapter that will also accept the Australian 3-pin plugs on our phone, tablet, camera charger, etc.

I'm unsure about the "US" style plugs and sockets -- I've read that the standard US East Coast plug has two vertically-aligned flat pins (i.e. l l), but West Coast plugs sometimes have a third (round) "earth" pin that is located between and below the two flat pins (i.e. l.l).

Which standard power socket are we likely to find onboard ?

(The different 110/240 voltages and need for an earthed circuit are not an issue with our devices -- each charger is universally rated.)

My wife and I are booked on the DP "Grand Asia" cruise ex Beijing in Nov 2016.

We're intending to take a power board/strip to charge our electronic devices.

How many power sockets will we find in our cabin, and what standard plug style will they accept?

We've been told they will be "North American/US" style wall sockets, so we'll need to bring a converter/adapter that will also accept the Australian 3-pin plugs on our phone, tablet, camera charger, etc.

I'm unsure about the "US" style plugs and sockets -- I've read that the standard US East Coast plug has two vertically-aligned flat pins (i.e. l l), but West Coast plugs sometimes have a third (round) "earth" pin that is located between and below the two flat pins (i.e. l.l).

Which standard power socket are we likely to find onboard ?

(The different 110/240 voltages and need for an earthed circuit are not an issue with our devices -- each charger is universally rated.)

Just got off the Diamond today. We were in a mini suite on Dolphin deck. For sure they are two 3-prong outlets by the desk area. You can use either a 2 or 3 prong plug. We use a short power strip in one and a USB power strip in the other outlet. Cabin also had 2 outlets by the door which we have never seen in any balcony or below cabin. One outlet is behind the tv which we use an 2 outlet adapter so DH can plug in his CPAP as well as the tv. Had no problems using our regular US plugs