Crushing with 3 year old

Kynance103

This coming May we are cruising on Independence of the seas with our 3 year old. We have booked a balcony cabin. I have a few questions if anyone could please help.

We have asked for the main bed to be split into singles so the little one will sleep in one of those. We want to buy some portable bed rails so she doesn't fall out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be best to buy which would fit the bed and we could pack with us?

We are sailing to a number of different ports including Gibraltar, Barcelona, Nice, Rome, Valencia, Malaga, Cadiz We will be looking for local beaches at most of these ports can anyone help with locations and best way to get to the beaches.

We were also thinking about buying magnetic hooks to hang a shower curtain so the little one has her own little bedroom. Has anyone ever done this.

Thank you for all the help.

I wouldn't bother with rails...one side of the bed is against the wall...you can bring a "pool noodle" and put it under the outside edge of the bottom sheet. That provides an effective barrier. If your child is small enough, a P&P might work, too, so that both adults get a REAL bed! I don't know what category of cabin you'll have, but the cabins are so small...there is not going to be "her own room" feel..it will simply be in the way!

As far as ports, get a guidebook on the Med.....it will tell you ALL you need to know about each place! Libraries have guidebooks!!

Whether or not a bed is by a wall, depends on the cabin layout and cruise line. I have had many cruises where the bed is near a wall (mostly insides) and many where it has been near a closet (so you need access around the bed).

I would ask the cabin steward if they have bed rails. I can't be certain, but one sailing (might have been HAL) we asked and it was provided.

How many people are in the cabin and what are the sleeping arrangements? Your little one may prefer the bunk (if available) which would have a bed rail and leave the beds for the adults.

The bed rail we used is the "swing down" style. On ours, the feet that slide under the mattress fold up flat against the rail. The rail can be adjusted longer and shorter also. So we shrunk it as small as it went and folded the feet flat. It got packed on the top of our luggage.

Might consider co-sleeping with your little, that way you are on one side and you only need to pack 1 rail.

We've never hung anything from the ceiling but I suppose in theory it would work. If nothing else you could always use the magnets to put up paperwork or hang wet swimsuits to dry. Just do a test run to make sure your magnets are strong enough to support whatever curtain you want to hang. I'd maybe do something cotton or some other breathable fabric rather than a plastic shower curtain, just so the air keeps flowing, but to each their own.

Other random advice:

Consider a white noise machine. Their are lots of bumps of doors, people going passed your room, elevators, depending on where your room is, furniture moving above you, people on balconies nearby talking. You get the idea. Some nice white noise will help smooth all that out and keep your little from waking up every 10 minutes to ask "What's that?" Trust me, we brought one and it really helped!!

Consider a night light also. It gets very dark in those rooms and if you need to move around you'll be glad for a touch of light. Also might help your little one if they wake up and can't see anything! A bit of light will keep them from getting upset.

Have fun!

Thank you for the answers.

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean and staying in a balcony cabin. Any extra help with regards to being on a ship with a 3 year old will be greatly appreciated.

I've sailed four times with dd, twice as a three year old, I survived. :D We did Rcl when she was three. They had a pull out sofa bed for her, (balcony room) she's used to a queen size bed. I simply used the couch cushions as 'rails'. Note. The sofa bed was NOT comfortable. There was a curtain that separated the soda bed from the main bed.

room service is your friend.

Know your child, be open. Eating and sleeping habits may change. Mine lived on bread, yogurt and escargot (offered nightly!) on Rcl, and she's not a pickle eater. She wasn't impressed with the food. On our first cruise she needed two naps a day, even though she took one nap at home.

She needed more down time. Her behavior was crap because she was tired and over stimulated. Quiet time is a must! Once I figured that out, it was great! There's lots to do, but she had fun watching cartoons and playing magnet dolls in the room. my goal was to do nothing on our last cruise (I do nothing pretty well! Room service please!) so I didn't mind staying in the room.

Rcl has toy lending in the nursery. You can exchange however often. It was good for 'new' toys in the room. The nursary has open hours as well.

We do mdr for dinner nightly, early/main. I pack a bag of fun stuff (no iPad at dinner)- magnet dolls, magic marker, sticker book-dollar spot or clearance finds. This keeps her busy during dinner. After dinner, Dh leave with her while I enjoy dessert and coffee.

We bring a speaker and MP3 player for lullaby music. She brings her blanket, pillow case (not pillow), and can pack her bag of 'friends', plus a few books.

We used the umbrella stroller to board and leave.

We don't do shows and we haven't left her in the kid's club, so no suggestions there.

• 3 weeks later...

Bed-wise, check this out. We've had one for our son since he was under a year. He's almost 5 now and still uses the large one. Our daughter uses his old smaller version and it makes sharing cramped staterooms/hotel rooms a dream! Because the flaps close, they have their own space and we're free to move quietly around without disturbing them. They fall asleep fast and with our sound machines from home, we have a lot more freedom to relax during naps/early bedtimes. Best part? It's a pop-up tent so they close in seconds. Easy to put away so your cramped stateroom doesn't get more cramped.

We bring some snacks too, empty out our fridge and fill with stuff from the buffet. Milk cartons, fruit, yogurt, etc. Bring some ziploc baggies for leftover room service (sandwiches, chips, etc).

Have fun! We loved cruising pre-babies and still love it with them. Different feel, but amazing to bond and see the world together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app3be6766484271873fbb6721ad1fec2cd.jpg

Edited by cruiselovincouple

We will be taking some of the little ones snacks like biscuits, sweets, crisps etc. Also be taking some bottled water and cordial. Is it best to pack these items in hand luggage or just put them in the main cases?

Carry on for all drinks. But you don't really need bottle water, the ship water is fine, I'm not sure why cordial is, or the other stuff, Sorry, American. I normally have stuff in my bag so easy to get to.

Any food taken off ship, must be prepackaged. Yes, bring baggies. We also keep milk,yogurt, boxes of cereal, fruit in room, cranky three year olds aren't fun, I'm not a fan of making them wait. Here, have yogurt. Sure, have a banana. Cheese tray is also great with crackers, veggie sticks.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

• 1 month later...

Have you considered turning the sofa around so the seat part is against the wall? The back part then is a barrier so she can't fall out and it would be plenty big enough for a toddler. The cabin steward will provide linen and make it up for you. That would also free up the proper beds for the adults.