Sun...Buenos Aires to Valparaiso

forevertravel

We did Around the Horn with Celebrity Infinity in 2014 and it was super.

Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

We are booked on the Sun for Alaska 5 September. Hopefully, the sewer odor problem is no longer an issue. We will find out and report back.

Hi Stephen,

I know this is an older post, but I am looking around for posts about the frw and aft suites.

We are in suite 9201 for B2B South America in November - San Diego to Buenos Aires. (Fwd suite)

Did you find the aft balcony small? Were you able to use the balcony often?

Would you have preferred a forward suite?

We've had both & find that the aft are usually smaller.

Thanks for any information.

Judy

We were in 9201 for our BA-Valpo sailing in January. I won't lie, the balcony is small. Our friends had the suite '02' suite beside us and down one deck. The balcony on that one is absolutely massive.

Having said that, did it detract from our enjoyment at all? Nope. It was still big enough for the two of us and our 4 yr old. We were out there quite a bit and never really felt cramped.

The nice thing about the 9201 cabin is that it feels like a one-bedroom suite due to the separation wall. Great cabin. As with aft balconies, there is something special about the view - looking forward. Many posts above this one is a video that I shot from the balcony - amazing view.

We were in 8003 in February. The price was great. I think it was $7300 for the two of us with all the perks. Considering what we paid, we enjoyed ourself. I just checked and for the same category the price is basically double at $13,400 and change. The perks are not even the same. For that much money you could go on Celebrity. Do shop around.

We were in 8003 in February. The price was great. I think it was $7300 for the two of us with all the perks. Considering what we paid, we enjoyed ourself. I just checked and for the same category the price is basically double at $13,400 and change. The perks are not even the same. For that much money you could go on Celebrity. Do shop around.

What kind of cabin is 8003? We did Infinity in Jan 2014 in an angled balcony for about $5200.

What kind of cabin is 8003? We did Infinity in Jan 2014 in an angled balcony for about $5200.

It was a forward facing suite. Called the romance suite...too funny had a giant jacuzzi in the bathroom and a shower that was minuscule . Nice closet and was quiet

So, right now, I am booked in the SUN

Forward Suite # 9201

It has a very tiny balcony from what I can see.

I can change to 8002 which has a larger balcony, but is lower.

Does anyone know how these 2 cabins compare?

Thanks,

Judy

Judy see my post up a couple of replies. We were in 9201, our friends were in 8202 - mirror image of 8002. Balcony is MUCH bigger in the '02' cabins, but personally I liked the layout of the '01' cabins much better - more like a 1 bedroom. Just a person thing. There are some videos on youtube of these layouts..

Judy see my post up a couple of replies. We were in 9201, our friends were in 8202 - mirror image of 8002. Balcony is MUCH bigger in the '02' cabins, but personally I liked the layout of the '01' cabins much better - more like a 1 bedroom. Just a person thing. There are some videos on youtube of these layouts..

Great!

I saw the videos.

I guess I can’t decide which is more important.

We are on the SUN for a B2B - from San Diego to Buenos Aires - 31 days in all!

I booked deck 9 because it was higher & I figured we’d see less of the ship when on the balcony.

At that time, I didn’t realize how small it is.

With our itinerary taking us through channels and around the cape, view is important.

Did 9201 seem small because of the lay out?

Thanks,

Judy

Great!

I saw the videos.

I guess I can’t decide which is more important.

We are on the SUN for a B2B - from San Diego to Buenos Aires - 31 days in all!

I booked deck 9 because it was higher & I figured we’d see less of the ship when on the balcony.

At that time, I didn’t realize how small it is.

With our itinerary taking us through channels and around the cape, view is important.

Did 9201 seem small because of the lay out?

Thanks,

Judy

I think 9201 is slightly smaller inside the room - but the space just seemed more functional to me because of the dividing wall in the 'hallway'. Made it seem like there was a bedroom, and a sitting room. The '02' is just a big room with the bed in the middle. The layout was important to us because we were traveling with our 4 year old - so we could curtain off half the room at night.

The balcony is tight, no question. The thing about these balconies is that you have to stand up to see anything because the railing is solid. You can certainly sit and enjoy the outside, but if you want to actually see anything, you really need to stand up.

Truth be told, the weather was bad enough for about half the cruise that being outside was a losing proposition anyway. You're on her for 31 days - that might be a deciding factor, I'm not sure. I wouldn't hesitate to book 9201 again for any length. Guess it just depends what's important to you.

Having sailed on Sun a number of times but never in a suite (DMH15 never invites me to join her) but having visited both of the forward suites you are considering, I have to say that if you can possibly snag one of the aft ones, you should. Our experience round the horn was that on the most scenic days when you wanted the big balcony to have friends over (thanks Les and Ruth) such as cruising the Beagle Channel that it was too darn cold...and everyone hightailed it aft where the wind was cut and therefore you could enjoy being outside. While no one in our rollcall was in 9076 (DMH15's stateroom) DH and I were next door in the lowly balcony 9077 and another couple were in the (HUGE) mini 9078? so between the two balconies we had plenty of room....much warmer and like those forward, a 180 degree view.

But even if you ended up in an inside, it is a GREAT cruise...our favorite to date. Have fun!

Edited by Clay Clayton

Thanks for all of the advice.

All of the aft suites are gone and probably will not appear again.

I will check when final payment is due.

Next bet is an upgrade (upsell) to the owner’s suite. Both are available and they have a hot tub on their balcony!

We’ll see once final payment is made.....

Since there are just 2 of us, I don’t think it will matter if we are in 9201 - sectioned off cabin

or 8002 - one big room.

Like you mentioned, to view the scenery, you must stand up, so the size of the balcony may not be an issue.

Why in the world have a solid balcony???

Oh well, no complaints here.

Any cruise - in any cabin - is better than no cruise!!!

AND, the people on the cruise, including the staff - make it even better.

Judy

Having sailed on Sun a number of times but never in a suite (DMH15 never invites me to join her) but having visited both of the forward suites you are considering, I have to say that if you can possibly snag one of the aft ones, you should. Our experience round the horn was that on the most scenic days when you wanted the big balcony to have friends over (thanks Les and Ruth) such as cruising the Beagle Channel that it was too darn cold...and everyone hightailed it aft where the wind was cut and therefore you could enjoy being outside. While no one in our rollcall was in 9076 (DMH15's stateroom) DH and I were next door in the lowly balcony 9077 and another couple were in the (HUGE) mini 9078? so between the two balconies we had plenty of room....much warmer and like those forward, a 180 degree view.

But even if you ended up in an inside, it is a GREAT cruise...our favorite to date. Have fun!

Clay, you continue to crack me up. One of these days we will be on the same cruise and then... Look out!

Thanks for all of the advice.

All of the aft suites are gone and probably will not appear again.

I will check when final payment is due.

Next bet is an upgrade (upsell) to the owner’s suite. Both are available and they have a hot tub on their balcony!

We’ll see once final payment is made.....

Since there are just 2 of us, I don’t think it will matter if we are in 9201 - sectioned off cabin

or 8002 - one big room.

Like you mentioned, to view the scenery, you must stand up, so the size of the balcony may not be an issue.

Why in the world have a solid balcony???

Oh well, no complaints here.

Any cruise - in any cabin - is better than no cruise!!!

AND, the people on the cruise, including the staff - make it even better.

Judy

Judy, don't forget that "final payment date" for suites is earlier. Check "that" date or a few days prior.

• 2 months later...
My only regret is I didn't book the cruise for February or March. We are traveling in April and I understand the penguins will be gone from Magdalena Island.

Forevertravel:o

Hi forevertravel

My DH & I are also sailing SA in April(Gizmosmum & Skittysdad on the rollcall). I also want to see penguins. I have been in contact with tour operators in Stanley and Punta Arenas. I contacted two companies in Stanley

penguintravel-falklands.com -they said

This is quite late in the season to be going to Volunteer Point. Depending on how wet the ground is at that time of year, the track can be closed and if the track is open, the penguins have already started leaving so you won’t see as many as you would if you came in January for example. Tours can be booked independently to Volunteer Point.

and

http://www.Falklandpenguins.com -they said

We have three species of penguins on our farm. Only the Magellanic penguins migrate. The Gentoo penguins and the King penguins do not leave. If you join us you will see thousands of penguins. Visiting Bluff Cove can only be booked through the cruise ship.

Of course there is a risk on not being able to tender.

In Punta Arenas I contacted

http://www.gvtours.com/tours_puntarenas.html#pat4 -they said

the penguins of Otway Sound did not show up last year during the 2015-2016 cruise season.

Every year it varies,(if there will be penguins) however, I can let you know by the beginning of April (first week) what the status is!

we have a new excursion in Punta Arenas to Magdalena and Marta Islands, penguin and sea lion islands, respectively. This excursion includes a 4.5-hour excursion to two islands, a snack, and bilingual guide. You will not be stuck on ferry boat for two hours, but rather in a comfortably seated leather seat on a powerboat that only takes 45 minutes allowing us to reach two islands rather than just one. We only have 16 spots available total for this excursion! The cost is $170 USD p/p, but if you book in both ports the price is $140 USD p/p.

Julie

Hi forevertravel

My DH & I are also sailing SA in April(Gizmosmum & Skittysdad on the rollcall). I also want to see penguins. I have been in contact with tour operators in Stanley and Punta Arenas. I contacted two companies in Stanley

penguintravel-falklands.com -they said

This is quite late in the season to be going to Volunteer Point. Depending on how wet the ground is at that time of year, the track can be closed and if the track is open, the penguins have already started leaving so you won’t see as many as you would if you came in January for example. Tours can be booked independently to Volunteer Point.

and

http://www.Falklandpenguins.com -they said

We have three species of penguins on our farm. Only the Magellanic penguins migrate. The Gentoo penguins and the King penguins do not leave. If you join us you will see thousands of penguins. Visiting Bluff Cove can only be booked through the cruise ship.

Of course there is a risk on not being able to tender.

In Punta Arenas I contacted

http://www.gvtours.com/tours_puntarenas.html#pat4 -they said

the penguins of Otway Sound did not show up last year during the 2015-2016 cruise season.

Every year it varies,(if there will be penguins) however, I can let you know by the beginning of April (first week) what the status is!

we have a new excursion in Punta Arenas to Magdalena and Marta Islands, penguin and sea lion islands, respectively. This excursion includes a 4.5-hour excursion to two islands, a snack, and bilingual guide. You will not be stuck on ferry boat for two hours, but rather in a comfortably seated leather seat on a powerboat that only takes 45 minutes allowing us to reach two islands rather than just one. We only have 16 spots available total for this excursion! The cost is $170 USD p/p, but if you book in both ports the price is $140 USD p/p.

Julie

FWIW, when we went 'round the horn in 2010, Sun was literally the last ship for the season - as I recall we sailed from BA on April 18th or later (I know I celebrated my birthday on May 2nd and I think it was the last sea day) and while we didn't see hordes of peguins, we did see a few (along with seals and elephant seals) during our stop in Puerto Madryn...we went to the park that is north of the port.

In the Falklands, we did the Bluff Cove through the cruise ship (one of only two excursions I have ever done through the ship) and it was GREAT! Again not hordes of penguins but several different types and probably 200 or so....in the fields with cattle. That excursion includes a 15-20 minute ride on a 4 wheel vehicle through rutty fields...it was quite a ride. Part of what made the experience so memorable, since we were the last ship of the season (and the only one still cruising), the folks at the cove were having an appreciation party for the drivers (all of whom have day jobs on non cruise ship days - our driver was the engineer charged with keeping the wind turbine working) so we got to have much more than the "tea and cakes" that was listed in the excursion description. We had grilled fish, grilled bird (the one that is only found in the Falklands) and cakes, cookies, and a warm alcoholic punch. I highly recommend the excursion even at the exorbitant prices.

Keep in mind that YMMV.

We're going on the Sun on November 2nd for 41 days from Sand Diego to Rio. We've been on the Sun before so are familiar with the ship, we where can we find info for off-ship, specific to our cruise dates. And interact with others who are on the same sailings? New to Cruise Critic and it's not easy to navigate.

We're going on the Sun on November 2nd for 41 days from Sand Diego to Rio. We've been on the Sun before so are familiar with the ship, we where can we find info for off-ship, specific to our cruise dates. And interact with others who are on the same sailings? New to Cruise Critic and it's not easy to navigate.

From the CC Home Page, click on BOARDS, then scroll down to ROLL CALLS and click on NORWEGIAN. Scroll down again and click on SUN ROLL CALLS, then look for your sailing. It will probably be near the top because it's a very active roll call with over 1,000 posts. Here's the direct link in case you have problems. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143627

[quote name=Clay Clayton; we didn't see hordes of penguins' date=' we did see a few (along with seals and elephant seals) during our stop in Puerto Madryn...we went to the park that is north of the port.

In the Falklands, we did the Bluff Cove through the cruise ship (one of only two excursions I have ever done through the ship) and it was GREAT! Again not hordes of penguins but several different types and probably 200 or so....in the fields with cattle. That excursion includes a 15-20 minute ride on a 4 wheel vehicle through rutty fields...it was quite a ride. Part of what made the experience so memorable, since we were the last ship of the season (and the only one still cruising), the folks at the cove were having an appreciation party for the drivers (all of whom have day jobs on non cruise ship days - our driver was the engineer charged with keeping the wind turbine working) so we got to have much more than the "tea and cakes" that was listed in the excursion description. We had grilled fish, grilled bird (the one that is only found in the Falklands) and cakes, cookies, and a warm alcoholic punch. I highly recommend the excursion even at the exorbitant prices.[/quote]

Clay did you book the tour to the Valdes peninsula through the cruise ship? If you did it independently did you go to Estanzia San Lorenzo for lunch and how long did you take to drive out there?

Julie

Hi,

Have you gone to the Cruise Critic Roll Call for the Nov 2 SUN - San Diego to Santiago?

You can join the Meet & Greet and there are other sea day activities listed on our spreadsheet.

It is a group that is growing - 77 on there right now.

Hope to see you.

If you have trouble finding the spread sheet (it’s at the bottom of my page) you can mention this and we’ll help you get to it.

Judy

Clay did you book the tour to the Valdes peninsula through the cruise ship? If you did it independently did you go to Estanzia San Lorenzo for lunch and how long did you take to drive out there?

Julie

I booked it independently and due to computer changes since 2010 I don't have my usual spreadsheet where I could look up the information. But here is a link to where I posted about the excursion on our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22968161&highlight=valdes#post22968161

I discovered I was all washed up on my dates...we left on March 29th....so we were about a month earlier than I remembered.:eek::confused::)

I booked it independently and due to computer changes since 2010 I don't have my usual spreadsheet where I could look up the information. But here is a link to where I posted about the excursion on our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22968161&highlight=valdes#post22968161

I discovered I was all washed up on my dates...we left on March 29th....so we were about a month earlier than I remembered.:eek::confused::)

Clay, did I already know that you are from Houston?

We live on west side - near Beltway 8 and I - 10

Judy

Thanks Clay. Picked up some extra information from your link.

Julie