What ever happened to the captain....

As far as I know, he never left the ship

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I thought the last I had read on that HUGE thread was that he was down in Miami for questioning.

I could be wrong.

Glad to hear that if that's the case.

Thanks!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I thought the last I had read on that HUGE thread was that he was down in Miami for questioning.

I could be wrong.

Thanks!!!

Not sure where article is but included: USCG cleared him of any wrongdoing, in fact, commended him for a job well done in the storm

Heinrick Sorensen was the captain on the March 27th Anthem sailing. Not sure if he was on during the storm.

Captain Claus Andersen was the Captain during the storm.

According to what crusenfever post a couple weeks ago, Capt Claus "is on vacation". Even though a Rep from Bayleys office reassured us Capt Claus would be returning, I have a feeling vacation in this case means the same thing Forrest Gump's mom thought it did.

"Where you go somewhere and you dont ever come back"

Edited by ryano

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I could be wrong.

Thanks!!!

As per company policy, he was taken off the ship to aid in the investigation as to whether the company's policies needed revision, not really "for questioning". He was part of the decision to expand the shore staff storm monitoring system. As stated, the USCG has commended him for his actions during the storm, and had no jurisdiction to question the decision to sail. That belongs to the Bahamas Maritime Authority, which has asked for assistance from the USCG, but their report on whether either RCI's passage planning procedures needed revision, or whether the IMO's ISM best practices requirements need revision has not been submitted yet. The BMA has not brought any investigation into the Captain's actions, either in the decision to sail, or in his actions during the storm.

Last I heard he had returned to the ship a couple to three weeks after the storm.

As per company policy, he was taken off the ship to aid in the investigation as to whether the company's policies needed revision, not really "for questioning". He was part of the decision to expand the shore staff storm monitoring system. As stated, the USCG has commended him for his actions during the storm, and had no jurisdiction to question the decision to sail. That belongs to the Bahamas Maritime Authority, which has asked for assistance from the USCG, but their report on whether either RCI's passage planning procedures needed revision, or whether the IMO's ISM best practices requirements need revision has not been submitted yet. The BMA has not brought any investigation into the Captain's actions, either in the decision to sail, or in his actions during the storm.

Last I heard he had returned to the ship a couple to three weeks after the storm.

He did not.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I could be wrong.

Thanks!!!

He did go to Miami. Then flew right back and was on next sailing

Then flew right back and was on next sailing

That is not correct. Not only is he NOT on Anthem, he is not even listed to relieve the Captain that is currently on there.

Im guessing that Captain Claus will quietly "disappear" just as Captain Tengelsen did after the Brilliance accident.

That is not correct. Not only is he NOT on Anthem, he is not even listed to relieve the Captain that is currently on there.

Im guessing that Captain Claus will quietly "disappear" just as Captain Tengelsen did after the Brilliance accident.

I would really hate to see this Captain thrown on the altar of PR. Given that NO regulatory agency has even once questioned the decision to sail, that even RCI has never said that he did wrong, but that THEIR procedures, which he followed, were in need of revision (which has still not been called for by any regulatory agency, it is the company's voluntary action), to throw this 17 year career with RCI down the drain is a shame.

While there is spin to everything, I recall seeing that the Brilliance's Captain was older and closer to retirement, and that he publicly stated that he felt bad for the experience the passengers had, and decided he didn't want to possibly have to do that again, so retired.

I would really hate to see this Captain thrown on the altar of PR. Given that NO regulatory agency has even once questioned the decision to sail, that even RCI has never said that he did wrong, but that THEIR procedures, which he followed, were in need of revision (which has still not been called for by any regulatory agency, it is the company's voluntary action), to throw this 17 year career with RCI down the drain is a shame.

While there is spin to everything, I recall seeing that the Brilliance's Captain was older and closer to retirement, and that he publicly stated that he felt bad for the experience the passengers had, and decided he didn't want to possibly have to do that again, so retired.

I would hate to see it too. Captain Claus is my favorite Captain so far. His Q&A session on Radiance was the most infomative Ive been to and I felt that guests safety is VERY important to him. Ive never, for even a second, believed that was his solely his fault. I think he did a wonderful job keeping his guests safe and damage to a minimum on that voyage.

Bayleys office has reassured many of us that Captain Claus would be back. Maybe they are just letting things settle down longer. I guess we will wait and see.

Thanks for the information about Captain Erik. Ive heard so many stories.

Edited by ryano

I truly believe that if Mr. Bayley's office said that he is still around, he is. It was my understanding that he was temporarily re assigned to the Ovation team. Having sailed with Claus for many years, it would be a shame if they just quietly swept him under the bus.

Only time will tell.

Rick

Very likely that he would not be back to Anthem, just for PR reasons, but a transfer to another Quantum or an Oasis class ship would be understandable.

The incident was only two months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's still involved with an investigation team reviewing procedures and policies, etc. Nothing from the company, during the time it was making news, seemed to indicate that they were pointing fingers at the Captain.

The incident was only two months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's still involved with an investigation team reviewing procedures and policies, etc. Nothing from the company, during the time it was making news, seemed to indicate that they were pointing fingers at the Captain.

Knowing how these ISM "management of change" procedures work, the announced "weather center" and its role, responsibility, and procedures were already determined when it was announced. I believe they have moved on to the next area, since the ISM compliance department of any shipping line is constantly working on items large and small that require attention or addition to the ISM.

As I said, no, nothing indicated that he didn't follow established procedures, nor have the Bahamas Maritime Authority (the regulatory agency that would determine his wrong-doing), nor the country of his license (if different from the Bahamas), so any firing or demotion would simply be a PR exercise.

Very likely that he would not be back to Anthem, just for PR reasons, but a transfer to another Quantum or an Oasis class ship would be understandable.

I realize this was a canned response sent to many of us who wrote in support of Captain Claus and Brittany likely doesnt know much more than we do but here is what was said as far as Captain Claus returning. I got this back on February 18.

Dear Mr. L...........

Thank you for contacting the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. It is my pleasure to respond on behalf of Mr. Bayley.

Mr. Bayley cannot thank you enough for sharing your kind words regarding Captain Claus. He has the utmost respect for the Captain and his decades of experience serving our brand. Captain Claus is currently assisting us in Miami with our investigation and will be returning to the Anthem of the Seas shortly.

Mr. Bayley greatly appreciates you taking the time to write to him. Thank you for your continued loyalty and support for your brand.

Best regards,

Brittany Yochum

Executive Guest Relations for

Michael Bayley, President & CEO

305-539-6455 | BYochum@rccl.com

I agree with you. I very much hope RCI is above forcing out a career captain, who appears to have done an exemplary job in a tough situation, over some PR.

Some congressmen were pushing for a NTSB investigation. Do they have jurisdiction on this?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ntsb-investigation-royal-caribbean-cruises-weather-troubles/story?id=36835883

Some congressmen were pushing for a NTSB investigation. Do they have jurisdiction on this?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ntsb-investigation-royal-caribbean-cruises-weather-troubles/story?id=36835883

This is simple headline grabbing by this Senator. No, they do not, for three reasons:

There was no damage to the ship or substantial injury to any passengers, therefore, no NTSB investigation

The ship is foreign territory. What the Senator was calling for was to investigate the Captain's decision in sailing. This decision was based on RCI's ISM (International Safety Management) system, which is required by SOLAS, and can be inspected by the USCG when the ship is in the US, but it is not approved by any agency in the US, nor can it be investigated by any agency in the US. This is the province of the "flag state" (the Bahamas) and the classification society (insurance underwriter).

The NTSB only joins a maritime incident investigation as advisors, if requested by the USCG. Since the USCG had no jurisdiction in an investigation of the decision process, neither does NTSB.

I really shake my head that lawmakers are not law "knowers".