Verizon Wifi Calling

Verizon and other carriers have "advanced calling" features that allow you to call over wifi instead of your voice data. Your phone can be in airplane mode connected to a hotspot and your call goes right through.

Latency issues would likely make calling difficult on the ship. I'm more so curious about using a local hotspot. (Heading to the bahamas) Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Have any of you already done this?

Internet ("Wifi") access on the ship would still be through the ship's system, which means you would be paying for those minutes based on whatever rate the ship charged. It is not free.

We have the unlimited wifi package for our cruise. The idea is that we'll avoid using the ship and port cell networks. We'll be in airplane mode the entire time. Instead it's voice over IP (VOIP) which means connecting over wifi. (Whether it be the ship or McDonalds)

For Verizon, this feature is only 5 months old. While it really should not matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon still considers this international usage. I'll give them a call.

While it really should not matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon still considers this international usage. I'll give them a call.

They wouldn't be a very good phone company if they didn't charge you :p:D

Edited by Philob

So the first rep I spoke to stated that minutes are not used whether internationally or locally if the call is made over wifi. I'll keep digging though...

Here's the dialogue. In case you're wondering, "HD Voice & Video" and "wifi calling" are intertwined. Verizon would rather your HD call be over wifi than their network.

JOSHUA: I do see you have HD Voice turned on with the account side. That means you just need to make sure Wifi calling is turned on in the phone.

JOSHUA: You have done that before? You aren't interested in any special rates to use the phone away from Wifi?

You: I have used HD voice before. That's why I was wondering if I could make calls over wifi from another country. I'm not sure if Verizon considers that regular minutes or international minutes.

JOSHUA: When you use Wifi calling connected to Wifi it doesn't count as minutes in the US or outside of the US.

JOSHUA: That is free as far as Verizon is concerned.

You won't be in airplane mode if you want to connect to the Internet.

Sure you can be in Airplane mode. When you first go into Ariplane mode, WiFi gets turned off. However, you can turn on WiFi and still stay in Airplane mode.

Sure you can be in Airplane mode. When you first go into Ariplane mode, WiFi gets turned off. However, you can turn on WiFi and still stay in Airplane mode.

I won't argue the definition of airplane mode wioth you except to say that true airplane mode turns off all the external phone connections including wi-fi. You cannot be in airplane mode and connect to wi-fi. You can turn off your cellular connection or turn on your wi-fi connection, but neither of those options is true airplane mode.

I won't argue the definition of airplane mode wioth you except to say that true airplane mode turns off all the external phone connections including wi-fi. You cannot be in airplane mode and connect to wi-fi. You can turn off your cellular connection or turn on your wi-fi connection, but neither of those options is true airplane mode.

I understand what you are saying, but to most people, the phone is in airplane mode when the airplane icon is displayed.

Thank you Clarea. I was referring to the "Airplane mode" icon which simply disables all data transmissions. You can turn those services back on individually. Rather than saying airplane mode, I should have stated turning off data services, voice services and only utilizing your phone for wifi capabilities. (Similar to most tablets)

When you enter airplane mode, everything is turned off. Go back in and turn wifi back on. Your are now in airplane mode WITH wifi on (and regular cellular wireless is still in airplane mode.

I understand what you are saying, but to most people, the phone is in airplane mode when the airplane icon is displayed.

Hello, I see your dialogue about the WIFI/Verizon, etc. I am a first time cruiser & very confused on the options, ect. we do have verizon, family of 4 traveling on RCI Anthem in May.. I only want to be able to text each other on the ship if needed. Do I need the ships WIFI AND The Verizon International package.. or just the WIFI on the ship or Just the Verizon package. thanks for any clarification on this

Hello, I see your dialogue about the WIFI/Verizon, etc. I am a first time cruiser & very confused on the options, ect. we do have verizon, family of 4 traveling on RCI Anthem in May.. I only want to be able to text each other on the ship if needed. Do I need the ships WIFI AND The Verizon International package.. or just the WIFI on the ship or Just the Verizon package. thanks for any clarification on this

We have Verizon and we text all the time on cruises. We just make sure that our data is turned off on our phones. We don't pay for any international plan or ship internet.

Edited by Steve and Sharon

We have Verizon and we text all the time on cruises. We just make sure that our data is turned off on our phones. We don't pay for any international plan or ship internet.

Hello, thank you your response , sound simple, not sure why I am making this seem difficult ( my kids are telling me they want to use snapchat/instagram and advise there wouldn't be any charges.. think they're not correct)