No Tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at Dockyard in 2016

njhorseman

If they want people taking the cab, why don't they lower the cost of that.

It's like protectionism. It's easier to impose higher fees on alternatives rather than lower the price of whatever they're trying to "protect." And it almost never works out. For instance, remember when the US government imposed a tariff on imported steel in 2002 rather then find ways to make domestically-produced steel more competitive? They had to remove the tariff in a year (instead of the planned five) because it nearly destroyed the US steel industry entirely.

It's like protectionism. It's easier to impose higher fees on alternatives rather than lower the price of whatever they're trying to "protect." And it almost never works out. For instance, remember when the US government imposed a tariff on imported steel in 2002 rather then find ways to make domestically-produced steel more competitive? They had to remove the tariff in a year (instead of the planned five) because it nearly destroyed the US steel industry entirely.

Or, it can be highly successful. If you have taken a cruise to Russia you will know that to obtain a Visa to travel independently costs almost the same as hiring a certified Russian tour guide who provides you with a blanket visa.

Are you actually saying that spending a few extra dollars for 3 days transportation is going to crush the Bermuda tourism industry? I doubt it.

In

So you're going to let 50 cents per person in additional cost prevent you from going to Crystal Cave or the Aquarium?

Your trip on the ferry from Dockyard to either St. Georges or Hamilton is going to cost $ 5 in cash rather than $4.50 for a token. Once you're in Hamilton or St. Georges you can easily buy tokens, multi-day passes or a book of tickets...whatever works best for you for all your remaining public transit travel.

Not at all. Give us a break! It's not the money! Your comment to does not consider our plans.

The problem is the timing of the switch. There are many cruisers who planned their shore excursions way in advance. Choice is between ship sponsored excursions or public transport, which has been a big planning component for many years.

No reason this change couldn't have been announced many months ago.

For me its not really the cost, but the added hassle. Buying tokens at the Dockyard would have been ideal, and now we're going to have to bring at least a couple rolls of quarters and/or tweak our schedule so as to head somewhere where we can buy tokens first. Is it a deal breaker? No, of course not. But its an added step/hassle that I'd rather not take.

Exactly! It's the hassle.

Not at all. Give us a break! It's not the money! Your comment to does not consider our plans.

The problem is the timing of the switch. There are many cruisers who planned their shore excursions way in advance. Choice is between ship sponsored excursions or public transport, which has been a big planning component for many years.

The timing does stink. I would call what they have done rude. Personally I will work around it on my trip in June and won't have to change what I had planned using public transportation. Paying cash means I will actually spend less money, for me the pass was for convenience. Their action won't have their desired effect as I will make sure not to take any taxis. Since I have been there many times and know the island so it won't take me any extra effort. But as much as I like Bermuda I am going to have to think hard about booking a Bermuda cruise next year. How can I trust what scheme they will come up with next?

Edited by Charles4515

Give me a break. I've been vacationing in Bermuda for nearly 30 years. What the heck do you know about the country's politics, or the timing of their announcement?

Anyone who says they're going to have to change their plans because you can't buy a token that would save 50 cents for their fare and be a little more convenient is, to put it mildly, full of horse manure.

I'm not defending the government's action, but nor am I buying into the exaggerated drama. And before you say one word more, remember who started this thread...for the purpose of giving Cruise Critic posters as much notice as possible to adjust to the new situation.

It's a minor inconvenience and a minor additional expense, not the end of the world. If the announcement had been made two months ago it wouldn't change one thing related to planning your trip versus announcing it short!ly before the cruise season begins.

Edited by njhorseman

Are you actually saying that spending a few extra dollars for 3 days transportation is going to crush the Bermuda tourism industry? I doubt it.

No, but there will be unintended consequences. There always are. People don't like being inconvenienced for no good reason. Maybe Russians just put up with it better than Americans.

Edited by CavalierX

We'll see how things pan out with the Breakaway and Summit in together.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160427/cruise-arrivals-test-for-transport

The numbers are overstated in that article as they include both passengers and crew. The Breakaway carries about 4,000 passengers. Crew members don't use the transportation system to the extent that passengers do.

Edited by njhorseman

No, but there will be unintended consequences. There always are. People don't like being inconvenienced for no good reason. Maybe Russians just put up with it better than Americans.

You misread my post. Americans have to pay more because the Russians said so. Nothing about inconvenience.

Now Americans pay more because Bermudians say so. Let's not play dumb. Folks don't want to pay more. I get it. But at least admit it.

We'll see how things pan out with the Breakaway and Summit in together.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160427/cruise-arrivals-test-for-transport

Another indication that the taxi companies are behind the change in policy. As far as I am concerned I won't be taking any taxis. They can shove it.

You misread my post. Americans have to pay more because the Russians said so. Nothing about inconvenience.

Now Americans pay more because Bermudians say so. Let's not play dumb. Folks don't want to pay more. I get it. But at least admit it.

There is no analogy to visa policies. The US requires Russians have visas and the Russians require Americans have visas. The policies are tit for tat.

As far as Bermuda, Bermuda has not raised the fares. The fares remain the same. An entity in Bermuda has decided to favor taxi drivers by making it more difficult for cruise passengers to use public transportation. It is more like a mafia type action. And it is directed at cruise passengers, not Americans. Many cruise passengers are not Americans.

the article states that tourism board will have more reps at the dockyard to greet passengers.

I am interested to see what they will be telling people " officially".

will they

a) Direct people to cabs

b) Tell Pax that other transit options are available in Hamilton & St-George

TODAY is the big day.

Another indication that the taxi companies are behind the change in policy. As far as I am concerned I won't be taking any taxis. They can shove it.

I firmly believe the government is behind the change in policy because they know that Bermuda does not have adequate bus and ferry capacity to handle the number of cruise passengers that descend on Dockyard every week. They're enlisting the help of the taxi drivers in an attempt to solve the problem...which I'm willing to bet it won't, because taxis are too expensive and there aren't enough of them. It would take 10 or more taxis to equal the capacity of one bus.

We can agree to disagree on this one, because I'm sure neither one of us will change the other's mind...but at least we agree that the situation stinks. ;)

I firmly believe the government is behind the change in policy because they know that Bermuda does not have adequate bus and ferry capacity to handle the number of cruise passengers that descend on Dockyard every week. They're enlisting the help of the taxi drivers in an attempt to solve the problem...which I'm willing to bet it won't, because taxis are too expensive and there aren't enough of them. It would take 10 or more taxis to equal the capacity of one bus.

We can agree to disagree on this one, because I'm sure neither one of us will change the other's mind...but at least we agree that the situation stinks. ;)

That may be. I came to my conclusion about the taxi drivers from the articles and the comments that were posted in the Royal Gazette. It could very well be the taxi drivers are responding to a government initiative, not the other way around.

Wow that's great. I usually only get the two day pass to begin with because the last day I usually hand close to the dockyard. And you can always get a couple tokens in Hamilton while you are cruising on your two day pass the first two days, save them for the third day....and take a quick ride back and forth to Hamilton on the last day......if you don't want to stay at dockyard.

Two day passes sold at Dockyard today.

Number 11 bus accepted $5 bills.

Bermuda is beautiful.

All is right with the world.

When the new policy was announced, they made the statement that two day passes would still be sold at the Dockyard VICs if there were any remaining in stock, and that could have been the case today...just selling off remaining supplies. Let's wait and see if they will continue to sell them as the season progresses.

Over the years some bus drivers have accepted bills even though for as far back as I can remember the rules have said only coins are permitted on the buses. I wouldn't assume that a bus driver taking a bill is indicative of anything.

Every time I have cruised to Bermuda I have never had a problem getting a bus or getting on a ferry. The buses and ferries have always handled the crowds from the two ships in port. Why is this year such a problem.

It's been a problem since 2013 when the Breakaway started cruising to Bermuda with 4,000+ passengers on the same Wednesday to Friday stay in Bermuda as the Summit, with its 2,000+ passengers. They don't have the bus and ferry capacity to deal with over 6,000 people trying to get somewhere every morning.

This was my thought. Just think how many taxis would have to be lined up.

It's been a problem since 2013 when the Breakaway started cruising to Bermuda with 4,000+ passengers on the same Wednesday to Friday stay in Bermuda as the Summit, with its 2,000+ passengers. They don't have the bus and ferry capacity to deal with over 6,000 people trying to get somewhere every morning.[/quote

I've been on the Breakaway to Bermuda before and we were a family of 9 and we took numerous buses and ferries and never had a problem getting on one. The Summit was also in Port.

I've been on the Breakaway to Bermuda before and we were a family of 9 and we took numerous buses and ferries and never had a problem getting on one. The Summit was also in Port.

I have been on Summit to Bermuda the last two years with the Breakaway also in port. We took the ferry and buses and never had any problem. We did get going early. Off right away Wednesday morning and caught the 9:30 ferry to St. George. Off by nine on Thursday to catch a bus to Horseshoe.

I've gone on the Breakaway twice, and both times the lines for the ferries and buses were much longer and for the ferries formed much earlier than they used to. I also saw people getting left behind at the St. George's ferry terminal because the number of waiting passengers was greater than the ferry's capacity. I never saw anything like that happen in the past. Last year they started limiting the number of cruise ship passengers boarding the local #7 bus at Dockyard to leave space for the Bermudians who take the bus. That put an additional load on the #7 express "specials" to Horseshoe Bay.

Edited by njhorseman

I have been on Summit to Bermuda the last two years with the Breakaway also in port. We took the ferry and buses and never had any problem. We did get going early. Off right away Wednesday morning and caught the 9:30 ferry to St. George. Off by nine on Thursday to catch a bus to Horseshoe.

Seems the log jam is later. We've been to Bermuda enough times that we take our time getting going for the day. Last time, the line for the ferry was crazy so we changed our plans and got on a bus.