First time cruiser question: Will we be okay flying in on embarkation day?

Hello all,

My fiancée and I are celebrating our honeymoon on the Majesty of the Seas departing on May 16. It will be our first cruise, so we are pretty excited!

As it is, our wedding is on May 15 and we will unfortunately have to fly out on May 16th. We are flying non-stop from Chicago to Orlando on American with an arrival of 10:50 am. We don't really have an option to change anything about the itinerary at this point, so mostly I am just looking for some peace of mind.

Do you think we'll alright arriving at MCO at 10:50 am if the departure time for the Majesty is 4 pm? We already have a shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral booked.

Thank you!

Edited by DChambers

You must be checked-in by 2:30PM, so figuring time to get bags and transportation, you only have about 2 hours leeway for any delay. If you can do the trip with carry-on bags, that would help.

I would not use a shared shuttle, I would engage a private car service from someone like Executive VIP.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As you read more on the boards, you'll see that the majority of frequent cruisers (and even some non-frequent) will fly in the day before, mostly because we understand the risks of flying in the day of. Too many things can go wrong, unexpectedly, to cause you to miss the ship.

However, since you are unable to fly in the day before, (Congratulations!), you guys have no time to waste. Do not wait for a shuttle. Either book a private ride like Bob mentioned or grab a taxi outside the airport. There will be hundreds of them waiting.

Good luck and have a wonderful honeymoon!

If it's not too late, you may want to consider purchasing trip insurance for one or both of you so that if a plane trip gets canceled or delayed and you miss the ship you will, at least, get compensated for your costs.

Even if the plane is a couple hours late you should still have enough time to get to the ship. The carry on bag idea is good since that could save you a lot of time waiting.

Also, having a car pre-hired would be a good idea since you won't have to wait in a taxi line if there are other people trying to get in at the last minute. It's about an hour's ride from Orlanda to Port Canaveral.

Tom

You can also check the flight records for your flight - get an idea if its usually on time. That might give you a little peace of mind (or not:rolleyes:).

I'd worry more if you were travelling in the winter months, but May should be safe.

Maybe rent a car? A cab at the terminal might be very expensive

I think expense is the least concern at this point. A rental car will take time to pick up and drop off and then wait for a shuttle to take them to the cruise terminal. Not good to add more time to the equation.

I think expense is the least concern at this point. A rental car will take time to pick up and drop off and then wait for a shuttle to take them to the cruise terminal. Not good to add more time to the equation.

I completely agree with you Bob.....

The fact that you appear to have a pretty early flight should be in your favor. The airplane should be at your airport over night so it's only delays of your own flight and not the arrival of the plane at your city that would cause a problem.

If you cannot do everything with carryon bags there are services like Luggage Forward and Luggage Free that will pick up your bags at your home (several days before departure) and deliver them to the ship. That would eliminate one possible delay.

What's done is done and you should be all right, but I almost never travel to a ship the day of departure any more. Have a wonderful wedding and trip.

Roy

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was originally booked with Cortrans Shuttle but I am looking into a private car to be safe. I totally agree that cost is less of a concern when compared with making it to the cruise, but we are relatively young and a lot of our money went into the wedding so it's still a moderate area of concern for us.

We'll plan on not checking bags and in the future we will know to arrive a day early!

Any advice on where to purchase travel insurance from? We didn't purchase it when booking with RC, but maybe trying to book through RC is still the best bet?

Edited by DChambers

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was originally booked with Cortrans Shuttle but I am looking into a private car to be safe. I totally agree that cost is less of a concern when compared with making it to the cruise, but we are relatively young and a lot of our money went into the wedding so it's still a moderate area of concern for us.

We'll plan on not checking bags and in the future we will know to arrive a day early!

Any advice on where to purchase travel insurance from? We didn't purchase it when booking with RC, but maybe trying to book through RC is still the best bet?

https://www.insuremytrip.com/

We always use Travel Guard, for years no problems with getting reimbursed. They are very competitively priced.

Congrats and enjoy your Honeymoon!

CT

Do you think we'll alright arriving at MCO at 10:50 am if the departure time for the Majesty is 4 pm? We already have a shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral booked.

If your flight arrives on time, sure, you'll be fine! If it's delayed more than a couple of hours... ;)

I wouldn't. I've flown in the day of before and all was OK. Other flights I've been on, just about anything can delay your departure enough to miss a connection, and then you're boned. Everyone involved, both the airline and RCI, will shrug their shoulders.

Come in the day before.

How about using RCCL's ground transfer program: The following is a copy from the RCCL web site

Transfers

Ease into your cruise adventure by letting Royal Caribbean safely get you to and from the ship with one of our easy-to-purchase ground transfers.

Transfer Program

If you choose to make your own air arrangements or book air through our online ChoiceAir Travel Program you may wish to purchase ground transportation to the ship. Transfers are available for pre-purchase from the arrival airport to the pier on day of sailing and from the pier to the departure airport on debarkation day only.

It is recommended that transfers are purchased two weeks prior to sailing. Please remember we require your flight information in order to promptly meet all guests.

To purchase your Royal Caribbean Guest Transfer or for additional information consult your travel agent or our Reservations Department at 1-800-327-6700.

Edited by retiredgram

We flew to Orlando the same day as our last (only) cruise. It was 7 of us. My parents, my DH and I, and our kids. It was a direct flight (which generally means less likelihood of losing luggage) and we had a private car service that met us at baggage claim and took us right to the port (it's a bit of a drive. 45 mins maybe? I can't remember). We even stopped at a liquor store (at the time DCL allowed us to carry on alcohol). We got right on the ship around noon, without issues. We are contemplating doing the same with our next one because we leave from Ft Lauderdale which is very close to the airport. IDK though. Not sure we want to tempt fate twice. Haha.

My only advice other than what everyone already said, is make sure you're not flying with Spirit or Allegiant, etc. They almost always delay flights.

Good luck, congratulations, and have fun!!

I have to echo others and recommend getting a private car instead of a shuttle. I've done the Orlando to Port Canaveral transfer a few times, once with a shuttle, the others with a private car. The shuttle took *much* longer - wait for the shuttle, go pick up other people, the drive took 50 min, drop other people off first. The car was always waiting and took 35-40 min door-to-door. Costs a bit more, but is much faster.

IF your flight arrives at 10:50, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it at this point...there's nothing you can do....and lots of folks fly in the day of. Not ideal, but it is what it is!

My kid's postponed the honeymoon a week, so they didn't have to do the "fly in the same day" thing!

The good news is that Chicago OHare actually is a rather on time reliable airport in the morning. The airport in the afternoon and evening gets very backed up with delays, but a 7am departure to Orlando should have a high probability of getting out of Chicago on time.

A couple of suggestions would be first of all install the American Airlines app on your phone. Airline apps are great about keeping you updated if there are any problems. It can also notify you of delays and even give rebooking options that you can do without having to worry about stopping by customer service if your flight is late. It is also worth noting that if your flight is delayed, go see customer service, but if there is a line also call up reservations on the phone while standing in line. They can rebook and reroute you over the phone just as easily. If you have the app, you can load your boarding pass right away. If you check luggage, you are limited in your options so carry on only is a great suggestion.

If anything gets delayed with your flight, ask for other options even if you have to pay a change fee. You may want to get to the airport extra early in case your flight is delayed. You can still make it to Orlando by connecting through Dallas, Charlotte etc if your flight is cancelled. United, Frontier and Spirit also fly to Orlando from Ohare so you can also buy a ticket and beg American to give you a refund.

We flew to Orlando the same day as our last (only) cruise. It was 7 of us. My parents, my DH and I, and our kids. It was a direct flight (which generally means less likelihood of losing luggage) and we had a private car service that met us at baggage claim and took us right to the port (it's a bit of a drive. 45 mins maybe? I can't remember). We even stopped at a liquor store (at the time DCL allowed us to carry on alcohol). We got right on the ship around noon, without issues. We are contemplating doing the same with our next one because we leave from Ft Lauderdale which is very close to the airport. IDK though. Not sure we want to tempt fate twice. Haha.

My only advice other than what everyone already said, is make sure you're not flying with Spirit or Allegiant, etc. They almost always delay flights.

Good luck, congratulations, and have fun!!

I was gonna say the same thing. We live in Orlando, and had my mother in law booked with Allegiant from TN. She was delayed 27 hrs due to plane malfunctions. She told us there was a group booked on the flight that had planned on flying in the day before their cruise and ended up having to rent a car and drive here. I sure hope they made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To make you feel better, there is a high likelihood that you will have no problems and board the ship on time to enjoy your honeymoon. :D Even if your flight is a little late, you should be OK. Flying in the previous day is mostly "insurance" against problems and a stress reducer.

That said, do follow all of the precautions provided here just in case...especially trip insurance and the private car idea so you do not need to be dependent on others. The Florida Departures discussion board has lots of info about transportation companies. We used Executive VIP on a return trip from the port to MCO and all worked well.

One option to potentially save a little money, but also add a little time, is to rent a car one way and drop it at the port. Orlando is pretty good at getting rental cars out the door quickly and depending on time of year, can be very inexpensive. The rental drop lots near the port are just a short shuttle bus ride to the ship. The biggest variable would be how long you would need to wait for the shuttle bus to leave the rental drop lot to head to the pier, and what other ships they might stop at first. Again, under normal circumstances you will be fine, so you're really just protecting against something going wrong. Personally, I'd still choose a private transport company.

IF your flight arrives at 10:50, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it at this point...there's nothing you can do....and lots of folks fly in the day of. Not ideal, but it is what it is!

I agree with this. Weather shouldn't be an issue in the middle of May, but you might still have mechanical problems. In 2012 we were flying to Mexico. We boarded the plane on time, pushed back early, sat, then was brought back to the gate. Some "widget" was bad. We sat on the plane for an hour, maybe 90 minutes. Enough that we missed our connection in ATL.

I say this not to scare you, but until your plane is on the ground in Orlando, anything can happen.

I would definitely have a car service waiting. Rental is adding time on the PC end (returning the car, waiting for shuttle, and actual transportation to the port).

Definitely get trip insurance!