Luminae Questions

twopats

Yes, Maggie is the best. Now having said that I would like to talk about food. There were a few times that either my husband or myself did not want what was on the Luminae menu and the staff let us look and pick from the MDR menu, especially on lobster night.

Does anyone have a comparison of the food in Luminae to the dinner that comes with a Chef's Market Discoveries shore excursion or the Chef's Table?

No comparison, really.

The Chef's Market Discoveries food [OK based on one experience] had so much flavour. The ingredients are fresh - you watch them being purchased, carried on board by the chef just hours before the meal and prepared by him personally. The chef can use his imagination [rather then follow someone else's instructions] and is showcasing his talent [not an option often given to those on board]. It is an experience not to be missed. Wine may or may not be included [it was not for ours.]

The Chef's Table food varies on ship/sailing/other things[?]. On some, the menu can be just a subset of the Murano menu. On others, the whole meal is innovative. Occasionally, the chef has showcased his talents. The dishes are usually heavier than the one Chef's Market Discoveries we attended. The wines are included and paired with the dishes. However, we enjoy the Chef's Table more for the company than the food.

Luminae is different again. The food is not as heavy as Murano/Chef's Table. We have found that the portion sizes varied by ship/over time[?]. To us, the food is more "comfort food" than Murano. We really enjoy some of the items prepared from the less prime cuts such as beef cheek.

In summary: Chef's Market Discoveries - light, fresh and flavourful; Chef's Table - rich and heavy; Luminae - comfortable and tasty. All enjoyable for their own reasons.

Particularly in light of the latest medical findings [until they are reversed next week! ;)] that fat and cholesterol in your diet have ZERO impact on your blood levels of fat or cholesterol or your heart health. The only bad things now are partially-hydrogenated fat [the previous "miracle" life-saving breakthrough ;)] and refined sugar -- and of course whenever a chef or food preparer removes fat they replace it with ... refined sugar. I've always said "Give me rich French sauces any day -- even if it does kill me, at least I'll die happy!" So how great is it that now I learn it is actually the best thing for me? Life is good! :D

I had asked the question that prompted this chain of responses "What is healthier about Blu's food", and I did it knowing that in my opinion the answer is "Nothing". For example, lamb chops are a staple on Blu's menu and they appear to be prepared as they are in all the other restaurants on board.

I fully agree with your comment about today's advice being contradicted tomorrow by the same medical authorities. And I'm in virtually full agreement with all the posts that followed yours. The ancient Greeks advised a life of "golden mediocrity", that is, doing neither too much nor too little, and that advice seems to apply particularly to eating habits. As others have said, genes play a huge roll, as proven by my aunt of 96 who fried many of her dinners in the bacon fat saved from breakfast. Dinners eaten after a couple of martinis, I should add.

I know it's not for everyone, but a cruise ship is hardly the place to cut back on eating, and having reached a rather advanced age, I see little to be gained in eating carrot sticks and celery stalks in order to extend life by months. Maybe.;)

Edited by BosoxI

This is our first cruise on Silhouette in a suite and wonder how Luminae compares to the specialty restaurants. Is the food so superior from the main dining room that it is not worthwhile to pay extra for the specialty ones? Are they open for any other meals besides dinner? We are Elite Plus so I think there is a special place for breakfast and is that something to try as well?

Thanks so much for anyone's input.

Trish

We had these for lunch on one of the days https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7SdGabQZ5WXqOPaSxbEycg

Very delicious!

We had these for lunch on one of the days https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7SdGabQZ5WXqOPaSxbEycg

Very delicious!

You should definately consider dining at all of the specialty restaurants. While lumanie is good , the food is far superior in for example the lawn grill and qsine. Not only is the food excellent but the experience is also great. On sea days you can have lunch also in lumanie in addition to breakfast and dinner. You might also enjoy Sushi on 5, and the porch. Enjoy all the Silly has to offer

Edited by Cruise a holic

I had asked the question that prompted this chain of responses "What is healthier about Blu's food", and I did it knowing that in my opinion the answer is "Nothing".

Exactly why I did not respond. Why hijack the thread?

We will be on the Infinity in October in a Sky Suite. We've never been in a Suite on Celebrity before. I like to prebook our dinner times. Our booking invoice lists us as Select Dining, so my question is can I make dinner reservations online and if so does it automatically book us in Luminae instead of MDR?

Luminae does not take reservations. They might ask you on the 1st day what time you like to dine and if that will be an especially busy time and you want the same server team they might suggest that you come 1/2 hour earlier or later. Even after telling them we typically eat at 8:00 we had no problems if we decided to come earlier or later, except on Elegant Chic night when they seemed to be especially busy.

Luminae does not take reservations. They might ask you on the 1st day what time you like to dine and if that will be an especially busy time and you want the same server team they might suggest that you come 1/2 hour earlier or later. Even after telling them we typically eat at 8:00 we had no problems if we decided to come earlier or later, except on Elegant Chic night when they seemed to be especially busy.

Thanks!

Maybe it depends on the ship? We made reservations for Luminae when on Reflection in March. They advised us to make them and were given specific times. We had to eat a bit earlier on a few nights than would have preferred but we made it work. Definitely worth it!