Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

Just off Anthem this morning. No returning cruisers party. Top tier was held. We were in the D, D+ , pinnacle party. Not sure if that was the only party.

The Anthem hasn't had a "returning cruisers" or "welcome back party" since she arrived in Bayonne. Quantum didn't have one either.

I cruise once a year in a GS and am a few points shy of diamond. But I will say I have never met anyone snooty or rude in the CL. Maybe I am just incredibly naive. The bar staff brings me drinks as quickly as anyone else there and is just as friendly.

Edited by parrotfeathers

As a "lowly" diamond, and having never been inside a CL, what's the difference between that and the DL? We really enjoyed the DL on Indy and met an elderly couple that preferred that to the CL, on this particular sailing, because they said the CL was overrun by children. Definitely didn't see many children in the DL.

You shouldn't see any children in a DL during cocktail hours. I'm not sure that you should see children of D+ or PC in the CL either. Pretty sure it is only for suite guests. That being said, we took our GS to the CL on Enchantment since it was basically empty.

As painful as it might be I think a more permanent solution is to make all of the CLs into SLs that are JUST for suites (GS+) period. That would allow the line to pay closer attention to the guests on that sailing who paid the most for that sailing. More individual attention would likely make more return on future cruises.

Turn the DLs into something called something else for just the P and D+ group. This would greatly reduce the need to close revenue producing venues to use them as overflow lounges. If the numbers show that the lounge would still be too crowded on average then formalize that mythical level at 340/350 points (Unicorn level?) and restrict lounge access to those two groups.

D's (and maybe those not "Unicorn" level) would retain the 3 drink vouchers and have additional vouchers added for specialty coffees.

I agree. RC could designate an SL just for suite guests; it would enable them to create an area proportionate to the greatest amount of suite travelers as they would know ship to ship the maximum number of passengers that would ever be aboard that would use the SL. It would also eliminate the tension that sometimes exists between SL passengers and C&A members not staying in GS's or above. I, myself, have never experienced this, but apparently from previous postings, there are those that have.

As you said, a second lounge for top tier C&A members Pinnacle and D+ could be created and sea passes loaded with drink vouchers and perhaps some other perks could be given to Diamonds. Eventually, like it or not, as more and more people become D+, RC will likely have to create a cut off point (your Unicorn level---lol) to prevent the overcrowding.

Edited by MaritimeR&R

I finally feel compelled to chime in.

I just don't understand the dissatisfaction those have with suite guests getting top notch privileges (as good or better than D+ and higher) while on board. It seems some feel that 10, 20, etc. years of cruising on royal should provide them better treatment than suite guests. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but let me draw an analogy. Does a frequent flyer on Delta get better perks than a newbie? Of course. However, they do not get better treatment than someone paying to fly first class. Of course a frequent flyer can get upgraded, but so can a higher tier C&A member. It only makes sense that first class passengers get free drinks, better food, etc. and it only makes sense that suite guests get great perks because that is in part why they spend all the extra money to be in a suite. I certainly felt entitled to the benefits on the few occasions I was in a suite but I really only felt privileged that RCI gave me nice perks as a D and now D+ when I stayed in any other type of cabin. The first time I was in a suite I certainly experienced the CL being so overcrowded with D+ members and we had to stand every night. We met many of the people and they were all nice but we didn't meet one other suite guest, only D+s on that cruise. And quite frankly on other cruises we have met many D+ members that book the cheapest fares and spend nothing on board. More power to them in the current system as long as it lasts. I'm not saying this is all D+s , but this type of custom is a net loss for RCI. This is why airlines such as southwest now reward based on dollars spent, not how many flights you fly like they used to do. So perhaps it would be wise for RCI to reward based on cruise fare and how much you spend on board.

Regardless, if RCI wants to attract the highest paying customers they have to create some designated spaces for them and there is only so much space. In fact on Allure, etc. they actually did the Ds a favor and they now allow them in the old CL which is an amazing space (I like the old DL but what used to be the CL is a vastly superior space). In return, they took away the VCL from everyone which is a huge downside IMO but it is what it is as they say.

For me I don't view that memo as a slap in the face, offensive, or anything else. This is a for profit company that has to compete in a brutally competitive market. If they don't stay profitable I won't be flowriding in the middle of the Caribbean for long so if they want to explore ways for me to consider buying the beverage I'm fine with that. No one would be making us buy it, it would just be an additional perk/benefit for being D+. I welcome that change. I'm sure I won't feel the same about all of the changes, but I do understand that none of these perks are guaranteed to last forever and change is inevitable. In the mean time I will enjoy some of the changes in the perks (such as the 3 drink voucher that is now in addition to the DL hours - no one seemed to mention that change as negative) as they happen and take the good with bad.

I do think we all need to realize that RCI treats us pretty well and that is why we continue to cruise with RCI. IMO the C&A program is heads and tails above others.

Feel free to blast away but I'm just stating my opinion and I more than know it isn't the only view of things.

Edited by topnole

I have been D+ for 11 months now. I have been on 7 trips since turning D+ sailing on Grandeur, Liberty, and Anthem. I have not experienced much in overcrowding at all. Yes, on Grandeur, the South Pacific Lounge has been used for overflow but has been handled well by the staff. Guess I have just been lucky. I have enjoyed being able to choose which lounge to use but I understand if RC decides changes need to be made. What will be, will be. Katherine

Darn, missed seeing the memo. Sounds like a good read! :eek:

Here's my takeaway on this thread.

There's a lot of emphasis on D+ vs Suites. A lot of assumptions about suite people being one time travelers. I don't see that in my travels. We are D+ and have stayed in GS for the last 5 years - before that we stayed in JS. Almost always, we have met other suite people who are repeaters of various levels - few have been first timers.

The only crowding we have ever seen has been in the DL - maybe a very few times in the CL. Most of the snobbery and cliqueishness we've seen has also been in the DL and in the CL by D+ and P's - not suite people. And of that, I'd say 90% of it was in the DL.

So....we've all had different experiences based on crowding and "snobbery" - none of us are wrong. Like many, I've been expecting these changes. I think it's a bit of an overreaction for D+ to say they have no perks - they still have great discounts and they still have a lovely lounge to use. Yes they may have crowding issues and that's unfortunate.

The Anthem hasn't had a "returning cruisers" or "welcome back party" since she arrived in Bayonne. Quantum didn't have one either.

We had one on the February 21st sailing on Anthem - it was in the theatre for Gold, Platinum & Emerald. No idea what the higher tiers got!

You shouldn't see any children in a DL during cocktail hours. I'm not sure that you should see children of D+ or PC in the CL either. Pretty sure it is only for suite guests. That being said, we took our GS to the CL on Enchantment since it was basically empty.

They don't differentiate between "types" of children in the CL. They allow them, period.

On one of the cruises I was on with Cruising Grandma, a Pinnacle sitting on the other

side of us swore part of the changes were that P's were going to 1,000 points first of May.

I see this very hard to implement...so what if you just became P at 700 points do you go back to D+....and we all know RC does not grandfather...

It will be interesting to see the actual changes, if and when they happen.;)

Not so terribly earth-shattering breaking news:

A friend who just boarded the Brilliance says that they have the reported drink package discounts for different levels of C&A.

Thanks for the news MM. By chance, do they include packages without booze? Maybe I should cancel our already purchased rink packages and buy them on board. I'd take gladly accept 40% off the purcase price.:)

I would prefer the Concierge lounge, because if they kick all the Diamond + out of it, the poor concierge in the Diamond Lounge will get really overworked. For example, our Concierge on our last cruise helped us cancel some shore excursions. I'd made the decision to cancel after the shore excursion desk had closed, and it wasn't going to reopen until after the 24 hour cancellation deadline. But the concierge desk was open in the morning.

Regarding Welcome Back, I'd like to compare it to our Princess welcome back cruise. We got to see a nice presentation, mostly advertising. But in the end, we were each given a coupon for any free drink in any bar! Loved it! I bet they spent less than just handing out drinks at the party (I bet some people double & triple up on these drinks), because they had to have a bunch of people that simply lost of forgot about their coupons.

Edited by knittinggirl

Not so terribly earth-shattering breaking news:

A friend who just boarded the Brilliance says that they have the reported drink package discounts for different levels of C&A.

Thanks, Carol. That might be a good way to spend a few dollars for our transatlantic next week.:) Did your friend have the 40% off rate for D+?

Edited by cruising grandma

A good discount on the drink package would be most welcome. We are also Club Royale but the rumor over there :rolleyes: is that the free drinks might be getting more restrictive. If that's the case, a discounted drink package will indeed make sense for us.

She's P. 50%.

See the memo is working already!!:D

I wonder if you need to buy the package for the entire time in order to get the discount or if you could buy, say 5 days on a 7 day trip.:rolleyes:

PS I'm following you around from one place to another this afternoon.

Edited by molly361

See the memo is working already!!:D

I wonder if you need to buy the package for the entire time in order to get the discount or if you could buy, say 5 days on a 7 day trip.:rolleyes:

PS I'm following you around from one place to another this afternoon.

On another note, have you noticed there is no Tuesday sales flyer this week?

On another note, have you noticed there is no Tuesday sales flyer this week?

I was going to post that earlier but forgot. I also looked online this morning and there were no sailings on their web site either, Guess no sale this week

I was going to post that earlier but forgot. I also looked online this morning and there were no sailings on their web site either, Guess no sale this week

I guess prices are so low that no sale is needed.:rolleyes:

Edited by clarea