November and rough seas?

I have a cruise planned for Thanksgiving this year on the Sunshine, and have been reading many reviews of rough seas at that time. I'm so nervous, as I am the family planner of this cruise, and am traveling with 16 family members, most of which have never cruised before. I would say about half are seriously prone to motion sickness. I'm wondering if I made a mistake planning this time of year! We're doing the Eastern Caribbean if that makes a difference. Any good stories of smooth sailing in November? Thanks so much, that's my biggest concern, and I'm more nervous than excited right now!

Its hurricane season. The prices are the most affordable at this time due to that reason. Have everyone go to their primary care physician and get a seasickness patch. With good health insurance it is $30 for three patches ( I heard it can get as high as $200 without insurance). Those who don't have insurance can pay another family member for a patch or two. The patches are placed behind the ear and changed to the opposite ear every three days. There are other alternatives such as bands, ginger, and over the counter pills, but I have only used the patch. I have never experienced sea sickness. I have only had slight dizziness and a small latex rash. Good Luck!

The weather is really unpredictable. We have sailed several times on Thanksgiving week. Once it was clear and smooth but this last time it was rough. I am prone to seasickness but take ginger and OTC meds that seem to help me.

I just grab some patches from my doctor and as well if I were you I'd take a few bottles of the motion sickness meds (Walmart Brand is 4 bucks for 100) trust me when I say this is a BARGAIN compared to the number you'd get on board for a gillion dollars. So I would grab a few if I were you given you have 16 in your party. Good Luck!

We have been on several November cruises and have had outstanding weather. It is one of my favorite months to sail.

I am also very prone to seasickness. I had a very bad allergic reaction to the patch so I just stick to non-drowsy formula Dramamine and a small glass of champagne or wine (it helps with any nervousness during rough seas). I've also had success with ginger tablets. I think it's a bit of "trial and error" to find what works best for each person. The ship's crew is usually very helpful if there is any rough weather.

We will be on our 6th Thanksgiving cruise this November. The previous 5 we only had 1 night of really rough seas coming back to Florida and it was unavoidable. Otherwise we have had really nice weather that week in November.

I never do the patch. 'Just in case' medication is not for me although

I am highly susceptible to sea sickness. I eat ginger (candied or in pill form) because it is harmless and I like the taste and take over the counter medication only when needed.

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely mention the seasick meds to them. It's funny, because every time I would read about rough seas, it happened to be over Thanksgiving last year! It's good to know its not like that every year. I even thought about changing to April next year, as we just got off Allure last week, which was smooth as glass! But that's a hassle, and I know weather is unpredictable.

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely mention the seasick meds to them. It's funny, because every time I would read about rough seas, it happened to be over Thanksgiving last year! It's good to know its not like that every year. I even thought about changing to April next year, as we just got off Allure last week, which was smooth as glass! But that's a hassle, and I know weather is unpredictable.

I have sailed out of Florida in November twice and out of New Jersey in December and also January and I have never encountered rough seas.

I do get motion sickness and despite using prescription medication, what I have found to be most beneficial is ginger. Whenever I have taken ginger (capsule form) I have never experienced motion sickness.

Hope this helps.

I have a cruise planned for Thanksgiving this year on the Sunshine, and have been reading many reviews of rough seas at that time. I'm so nervous, as I am the family planner of this cruise, and am traveling with 16 family members, most of which have never cruised before. I would say about half are seriously prone to motion sickness. I'm wondering if I made a mistake planning this time of year! We're doing the Eastern Caribbean if that makes a difference. Any good stories of smooth sailing in November? Thanks so much, that's my biggest concern, and I'm more nervous than excited right now!

Mother nature is what she is. You might have seas as flat as glass, and you might bounce around the ocean the whole week. There is no way to determine. At least Thanksgiving is out of hurricane season so you don't have to worry about that issue, though a hurricane can form at any time of the year.

We have sailed the Eastern Caribbean that time of year and have encountered seas as smooth as glass, and seas so rough that we could barely stand. That is really before the winter storms begin and is usually a good time to sail.

The best thing that you can do is to encourage everyone to either get teh scopalomine patch from their physician or get some OTC meds, like Bonine, to prevent sea sickness. Those are both very effective and will prevent sea sickness in 99%+ of the population.

I thank u for asking this question. I too am the family planner and booked a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean the week of Thanksgiving onboard the Glory. Out of the 12 going only DH and myself have sailed before. This post will be very helpful

A couple of tips ...

* Eat a little food within 5-10 minutes of waking up even if you are not hungry.

* If you do end up feeling motion sickness, eat some green apple slices. If you do not see any at the buffet, ask someone. Maybe even keep 1 in your room.

* Bring along a bottle of Emetrol, available from drugstore. Over-the-counter nausea medicine okay for pregnant women/kids.

No one can predict what the weather will be like.

The key is to prepare for rough seas by bringing something that will help should you encounter rough seas whether that is an over the counter medicine or some other remedy.

Try getting rooms that are mid ship.

But anytime of the year weather can be rough. Or it could be nice.

It's a crapshoot.

Keith