Caribbean Princess still anchored in Houston

cru1

Denver storms delayed many passengers. And they have ample time to get to FLL or am I underestimating the distance?

I checked though, they are tied on and did not drop anchor today. ;)

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

Does anyone know why they did not sail at 4:00 today?

I was wondering as well. There is some high winds right now in the Houston area. She may be waiting for the wind to die down. She may also be waiting for extra provisions since it is a longer cruise.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Just stretching out Princess' last ever departure from Houston. :rolleyes:

Since CB is leaving on a Transatlantic today, they can wait as long as necessary for any late passengers or late provisions. A three hour delay is meaningless.

(Yes, I know CB is stopping in Ft Lauderdale before heading across the pond. But even if she doesn't sail until tomorrow morning she will easily make it to Port Everglades on Wednesday)

Edited by fishywood

Family onboard, Captain had made an announcement that they were waiting for 68 delayed passengers.

Thanks! Good to know why the sailing was being delayed. Friends from Dallas are on the ship so is why we have been interested.

I was wondering as well. There is some high winds right now in the Houston area. She may be waiting for the wind to die down. She may also be waiting for extra provisions since it is a longer cruise.

Someone posted on their roll call that they will not sail until around midnight due to high winds. All pax are aboard.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Of course they can't get away from Houston one last time without drama! At least this time it won't result in dropped / rearranged ports or people missing flights. We loved our two cruises out of Houston but didn't like the unpredictability, especially after missing a late afternoon flight last year due to fog. Hopefully they get out at midnight.

Someone posted on their roll call that they will not sail until around midnight due to high winds. All pax are aboard.

ML

We are scheduled to board on Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale, but not depart until 10 pm. Hopefully, the ship will sail from Houston at midnight, but the winds are supposed to continue for a couple of days.

Ships always have enough provisions to last 3-4 days beyond plan. If they're stopping in FLL, they could go with almost nothing new (if needed). According to the food/bev logistics person who spoke to us during our Ultimate Ship Tour on the Ruby, somebody from inventory checks quantity and somebody from food/bev checks quality. Any mistakes have to be fixed before they leave, or the vendor is responsible for getting replacements to the next port.

Ships always have enough provisions to last 3-4 days beyond plan. If they're stopping in FLL, they could go with almost nothing new (if needed). According to the food/bev logistics person who spoke to us during our Ultimate Ship Tour on the Ruby, somebody from inventory checks quantity and somebody from food/bev checks quality. Any mistakes have to be fixed before they leave, or the vendor is responsible for getting replacements to the next port.

They might have loaded all of the provisions for the entire cruise in Houston today. If so, there probably won't be a lot to load in Ft. Lauderdale.

We are scheduled to board on Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale, but not depart until 10 pm. Hopefully, the ship will sail from Houston at midnight, but the winds are supposed to continue for a couple of days.

recent post to the RC says they may not leave until tomorrow, but I think they may leave sooner. The Captain won't make any announcements late at night when people might be sleeping. When we were on her about a month ago on return to Houston, the Captain announced at about 6 pm that the port of Houston was closed and he would keep us posted on status, we never heard another word. We went to bed expecting we wouldn't be in port (and would have to reschedule flights, etc). I woke up at about 5 am, went out on balcony and was blinded by all the lights of the port!! it was great.

A pax posted a question on the RC about why departure from FLL was pushed back until 10 pm 2 weeks ago but no answers so far. The good news, as far as FLL is concerned, is that things are still on schedule. The only bad news is that current CB pax are stuck at the pier, having a limited selection of wine and beer while they are in Texas. I can think of worse problems. ;)

I think it is great that all pax delayed by flights boarded and now they are just waiting for word to depart. I'm sure that the second they are cleared to go, they will put the pedal to the metal (as much as they can) and press on.

We are watching this cruise because it seems like a great itinerary that we are considering for 2018. (I can't believe I just wrote that--we are thinking about a cruise 2 years from now :))

ML

recent post to the RC says they may not leave until tomorrow, but I think they may leave sooner. The Captain won't make any announcements late at night when people might be sleeping. When we were on her about a month ago on return to Houston, the Captain announced at about 6 pm that the port of Houston was closed and he would keep us posted on status, we never heard another word. We went to bed expecting we wouldn't be in port (and would have to reschedule flights, etc). I woke up at about 5 am, went out on balcony and was blinded by all the lights of the port!! it was great.

A pax posted a question on the RC about why departure from FLL was pushed back until 10 pm 2 weeks ago but no answers so far. The good news, as far as FLL is concerned, is that things are still on schedule. The only bad news is that current CB pax are stuck at the pier, having a limited selection of wine and beer while they are in Texas. I can think of worse problems. ;)

I think it is great that all pax delayed by flights boarded and now they are just waiting for word to depart. I'm sure that the second they are cleared to go, they will put the pedal to the metal (as much as they can) and press on.

We are watching this cruise because it seems like a great itinerary that we are considering for 2018. (I can't believe I just wrote that--we are thinking about a cruise 2 years from now :))

ML

Winds near the terminal are 29 mph with gusts at 39 mph. I think they need to get down to 25 mph before they can sail.