Curling Iron, Flat Irons - Yikes!

marysb

I've been trying to find a good dual voltage flat iron. Do mind sharing which one you use?

I use a Conair TRAVEL iron with a 1.5 inch barrel - the big thick one. This does double duty when traveling as a curling iron and as a smoother flat iron.

When looking for hair products, you need to look for TRAVEL and Dual Voltage on the packaging. If you want to check your own, look on the plastic handle and it will say if it is 110, 220 or both. (you need it to be 220 or both)

And to Fuel Science.... I doubt very much there is enough fuel (heat) in that iron to start any fire, but anyway most who use them know how to work them and wouldn't leave them plugged in all day or unwatched. -and these are not clothes irons.

As for electronics - phones, ipads, computers, ipods, cameras are duel voltage -just pick up a little 2-round-pronged adapter at a travel store or the dollar store. Plug and go. No Converter needed. We always bring a few on each trip as we tend to leave them behind in hotels:rolleyes:

As for electronics - phones, ipads, computers, ipods, cameras are duel voltage -just pick up a little 2-round-pronged adapter at a travel store or the dollar store. Plug and go. No Converter needed. We always bring a few on each trip as we tend to leave them behind in hotels:rolleyes:

Watt? Are Tesla and Edison at it again? ;) :p

Ha Ha - good one .... spell check strikes again.

Homonyms aren't spellcheck failures - they can't be because both options are spelled correctly. They're failures on our part to proofread. I'm guilty on a regular basis:o

We've had no problems with voltage on 7 trips to Europe with camera or computer equipment as the dual voltage works fine. You do need plug adapters and anywhere in the world it's not uncommon to find too few outlets or those placed in very inconvenient locations in older hotels. Viking's newer ships have 110 and 220. Avalon is only 220 according to our travel documents.

We take a 110-240 power strip with usb ports with us as it has a cord and keeps things at convenient levels not at floor level or behind desks, etc. My electric curling brush is only 110 so I have a special Conair converter which handles high enough wattage. Hair appliances need a converter which can handle more wattage than normal electronics and even that converter can only be used for 30 min at a time with high wattage hair appliances according to the operating instructions. It has two settings - one for low wattage electronics and one for high wattage. The high setting can fry low wattage things so watch carefully.

One note on Viking (don't know about others yet) - I have an older Android tablet that I need to recharge frequently. There are very few outlets in the lounges on Viking (ask the housekeepers as they are meant for vacuum cleaners). They are usually near the windows and only a few. This means seating near one is limited if the lounge is busy. Hubby doesn't have this problem with his I-pad which holds a much longer charge.

There's a young woman at our church who has very frizzy hair. It's a pleasure every week to see yet another "do" with varying colors, textures, etc. Last week she had ironed it completely straight -- today like she had stuck her finger in a European 220V outlet. My point is that it is all good! So if you can't bring your hair appliances, don't worry. :)

There's a young woman at our church who has very frizzy hair. It's a pleasure every week to see yet another "do" with varying colors, textures, etc. Last week she had ironed it completely straight -- today like she had stuck her finger in a European 220V outlet. My point is that it is all good! So if you can't bring your hair appliances, don't worry. :)

That is the one thing I am not worried about, my hair is so straight, I can't do a thing other than up in a bun, braid or ponytail. Makes travel so much easier.:)

I have enjoyed this thread though, as it is letting me know about other problems...like DH's shaver.

• 2 weeks later...
Most are dual voltage just read the box... Converter still required

Thanks for the response JVilleGal. Would be great if the one I use daily was dual voltage, but it isn't :(. Fortunately, when I went to bed the night I posted my question I was thinking about where to look when I resumed my search online, and then remembered I had the same problem a few years ago when we were going to Australia. That's when it hit me - I could carry the one I bought in Australia and one of our adapters! I haven't used it since that trip (2012), but I don't see why it wouldn't work now. Oh pooh, now that I've said that I've probably jinxed myself and it won't work, lol.

Converter is for voltage. Adapter is what changes the plug. If you have dual voltage electronics, you just need the adapter.

I have this flat iron - mainly because it's cheap(ish) and I don't use it all that often http://www.amazon.com/Salona-Professional-Straightener-Worldwide-Resistant/dp/B00RNFY344?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I also have this curling brush (I use more often than the flat iron so I'd be more likely to travel with this, but often I don't travel with any hair appliances)

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Curling-Brush-Dual-Voltage/dp/B001G1CTWY?ie=UTF8&colid=3KQEYINVO6GUZ&coliid=I1RLP6X9R1M388&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Ok, I'm jealous - I seriously wish I didn't need to carry any hair appliances! If not for the flat spot to the back of my head I'd shave my hair off completely, lol. Thanks for sharing your appliances with us.

I use a Conair TRAVEL iron with a 1.5 inch barrel - the big thick one. This does double duty when traveling as a curling iron and as a smoother flat iron.

Thank you Marysb. I'm going to try my luck with one I bought in Australia. If for some reason it no longer works, I'll try to find one in Budapest before our cruise.