Curling Iron, Flat Irons - Yikes!

marysb

We were just sent an info letter from our Travel Company.

This "Know Before You Go" letter said that Curling Irons and/or flat irons are prohibited on the ship.

But,

There is another section that says, hair dryers and curling irons need a converter unless they are duel voltage.

Geesh! What would happen if I smuggled my curling iron on board?? I need it!:eek:

We were just sent an info letter from our Travel Company.

This "Know Before You Go" letter said that Curling Irons and/or flat irons are prohibited on the ship.

But,

There is another section that says, hair dryers and curling irons need a converter unless they are duel voltage.

Geesh! What would happen if I smuggled my curling iron on board?? I need it!:eek:

I brought a flat iron that was dual voltage; still needed the outlet converter to fit the plug into the outlet. I need mine too, especially after a humid/rainy day turns my hair into a frizzy mess!

I brought a flat iron that was dual voltage; still needed the outlet converter to fit the plug into the outlet. I need mine too, especially after a humid/rainy day turns my hair into a frizzy mess!

I've been trying to find a good dual voltage flat iron. Do mind sharing which one you use?

Most are dual voltage just read the box... Converter still required

Dumb question... why would you still need a converter for a dual voltage? Or do you mean the plug converter? Just wondering as I have been going through all my toys seeing what is dual and what isn't. We have the converter, but would be nicer just to have to bring the outlet converters instead of the wattage one.

Dumb question... why would you still need a converter for a dual voltage? Or do you mean the plug converter? Just wondering as I have been going through all my toys seeing what is dual and what isn't. We have the converter, but would be nicer just to have to bring the outlet converters instead of the wattage one.

An adapter is needed.

Converter is for voltage. Adapter is what changes the plug. If you have dual voltage electronics, you just need the adapter.

I have this flat iron - mainly because it's cheap(ish) and I don't use it all that often http://www.amazon.com/Salona-Professional-Straightener-Worldwide-Resistant/dp/B00RNFY344?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I also have this curling brush (I use more often than the flat iron so I'd be more likely to travel with this, but often I don't travel with any hair appliances)

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Curling-Brush-Dual-Voltage/dp/B001G1CTWY?ie=UTF8&colid=3KQEYINVO6GUZ&coliid=I1RLP6X9R1M388&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

You still need converter for your electronics (camera, batteries, etc)

Not necessarily. My CPAP, camera, iPad, phone and Bluetooth headphones are all multi voltage input. Just plug them in . . . I think this is pretty much the standard these days.

Not necessarily. My CPAP, camera, iPad, phone and Bluetooth headphones are all multi voltage input. Just plug them in . . . I think this is pretty much the standard these days.

I would check with the Hotel Staff (on boat) prior to plugging anything into the boats outlets without a proper converter.

No need for a "proper" converter if what you own is dual voltage (which usually means "flexible" - for instance, when I look at my laptop, it's 110-140, not 110 OR 220 or 240 - it will figure out what it needs on its own.) Likewise my kindle and camera chargers are "dual" voltage.

(these days, we usually charge most things with USB through a laptop if we take one with us)

Electronics these days are mostly able to be used worldwide. Hair appliances are another animal entirely so those you do need to be careful with. Yet another reason I don't often travel with them:o Sure, check your appliances. But I'm not entirely sure that hotel staff (on a boat or anywhere else in the world) are going to know any better than I am.

Haven't blown up anything yet:D

No need for a "proper" converter if what you own is dual voltage (which usually means "flexible" - for instance, when I look at my laptop, it's 110-140, not 110 OR 220 or 240 - it will figure out what it needs on its own.) Likewise my kindle and camera chargers are "dual" voltage.

(these days, we usually charge most things with USB through a laptop if we take one with us)

Electronics these days are mostly able to be used worldwide. Hair appliances are another animal entirely so those you do need to be careful with. Yet another reason I don't often travel with them:o Sure, check your appliances. But I'm not entirely sure that hotel staff (on a boat or anywhere else in the world) are going to know any better than I am.

Haven't blown up anything yet:D

Hopefully you meant 110-240. Otherwise, everything you said is correct. If you can avoid bringing a converter, you will save quite a lot of weight in your luggage. Adapters are small and light, or you can usually borrow them from the ship or hotel.

My heating pad is only 110 and I can't find any that are dual voltage. If you know of one, please let me know.

If I bring along a transformer/voltage converter (big heavy thing) then do you think I'd be able to use MY 110v heating pad with this big tranformer thing?

Has anyone out there used a US heating pad on a Viking ship? I'm also staying at the Hilton in Prague, the Sofitel in Budapest and the Hilton in Bucharest. Would it work there with the transformer?

My heating pad is only 110 and I can't find any that are dual voltage. If you know of one, please let me know.

If I bring along a transformer/voltage converter (big heavy thing) then do you think I'd be able to use MY 110v heating pad with this big tranformer thing?

Has anyone out there used a US heating pad on a Viking ship? I'm also staying at the Hilton in Prague, the Sofitel in Budapest and the Hilton in Bucharest. Would it work there with the transformer?

It should, but you could also just buy a cheap one in your pre-cruise city. When traveling with our (light-sleeping) son, we had an interesting afternoon shopping in Dublin for a small fan (white noise). Gave it to the landlady at our final B&B -- she was happy, and it was a lot easier than lugging around a transformer would have been [OK, the fan was a non-starter for the luggage -- but I think the analogy still works ;)]

Hopefully you meant 110-240.

Grr, yes, of course. Stupid phone typing :o

And I 2nd the thought of shopping pre-cruise if possible. I still have a european hair dryer & curling iron I bought when I studied in Belgium back in the 90s. I love to shop in drug stores & grocery stores anyway ;-) It's easy to do a search before you leave to figure out where you might be able to get one (actually, I had been contemplating buying a new hair appliance and asked her on the beauty & fashion board where I might find that in Nuremberg - our embarkation city and we were going to be there a couple days early - and some Germans gave me store names I looked up on google maps.)

Edited by Hoyaheel

Just a reminder that the prohibition on curling irons is a safety issue. A curling iron laid aside can quickly start a fire. For the safety of yourself and your fellow travelers, it's best to leave it at home.

FuelScience

Just a reminder that the prohibition on curling irons is a safety issue. A curling iron laid aside can quickly start a fire. For the safety of yourself and your fellow travelers, it's best to leave it at home.

FuelScience

Dear FuelScience most if not all curling irons have "auto shut off" these days. There was no such prohibition on Avalon and there would be riots in the boats should a company attempt to remove hair tamers :) on board.

FuelScience

Let me guess - you are a man ;)

Let me guess - you are a man ;)

OMG I was thinking the same thing!!! And it turns out the original prohibition on "flat irons" turned out to be a male misunderstanding thinking it was a clothes iron! ;) gotta love it!