Bugs in Alaska in mid June

cafelovercanada

A visit to the sporting goods department of your friendly neighbourhood WalMart will yield at least two different repellents that come in small, plastic pump bottles, contain a high volume of Deet and cost less than $8 per copy. I have never been troubled with mosquitos in coastal Alaska but as you are doing some hiking you will likely need repellent.

How are the bugs in August (15 through the 28th). Will I also need nets and spray?

Depends on your excursions. I’ve never seen anyone wear a bug net in Alaska although haven’t been back to Wonder Lake. I don’t remember seeing a mosquito while onboard the ship and very few in the port towns. Some people just attract them more than others. Most of the time, it won’t be needed. I would certainly take deet or lemon eucalyptus when hiking. We always carry it but rarely use it.

In Fairbanks we are doing the gold dredge and the riverboat. In Denali besides TWT I am doing a photography tour and seeing Jeff king. In Anchorage nothing since we are only there for 1 evening (well dinner and then walk around the city a little). In Seward going to fish off of shore and then next day Kenai Fjords tour. In Juneau copter ride to Norris glacier and dog mushing plus tram (if the day is nice). In Ketchikan doing traitors cove with island wings. In Haines either another photography tour or Glacier Point wildness safari. My hubby and I aren't going on the same tours as we have different interests but I know that if there is a mosquito anywhere around they find me. Are any of these tours where I should be very prepared for flies and or mosquitoes? Again will be there from 8/15 to 8/28. Thanks

Just have the repellent with you. Nobody can predict if you are going to run into bugs. It's "possible".

Depends on your excursions. I’ve never seen anyone wear a bug net in Alaska although haven’t been back to Wonder Lake. I don’t remember seeing a mosquito while onboard the ship and very few in the port towns. Some people just attract them more than others. Most of the time, it won’t be needed. I would certainly take deet or lemon eucalyptus when hiking. We always carry it but rarely use it.

I've seen the bug nets in use- and could have sold mine it was so beneficial in Katmai in July. :) I've also used it at Wonder Lake- with good results, also in July. So many, all you did was see swarms of them in front of you.

We are heading NB from Vancouver in mid June stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Denali. We are looking forward to hiking, kayaking and being outside but I was wondering about the bugs. Are there a lot of mosquitos, etc in Alaska at that time of year?

We have been twice, once mid June once late July and never saw a bug of any kind, that includes the SE AK ports and Anchorage and up to Denali.

I realize that other people complain about them but I am just reporting our experience.

Repellant is necessary for Alaska. The mosquito hatch can vary with weather and location from year to year. This year may be one of those unpredictable years because of El Nino, the milder winter temperatures and increased precipitation. There is no reliable calendar for bugs, only seasonal trends.

In addition to packing spray repellant, we also pack wipes. The repellant wipes fit easily into a backpack or pocket when we're out hiking or even on walks.

(Also remember no scent, including hair products and lotions - makes a difference.)