Dressing for formal night?

tammymacb

Yes, take your kilt and dress up as i do and show them all up! I have just come of Emerald Princess and most men had tuxedos or suits on. Just a few US citizens in jeans and t shirts:eek::eek::eek:

And you know this because they wore their passports around their necks. Very offensive statement. And before you ask, I'm British.

Maybe depends on the ship, but we've just come off the Dawn and plenty didn't take the formal nights too seriously. We went to both (needed MDR because of my dietary issues, otherwise we probably wouldn't have bothered). I hate dressing up so went for simple black pants and light knit top, Mum wore similar. Brother wore shirt and tie. My Dad - who is a bit of a joker - wore shirt and tie the first night, but the second wore one of those fairly crass tuxedo t-shirts (the kind you pick up at markets, with the tux, bow tie, carnation, etc., printed on to a black t-shirt). No problems getting in. Spied one other bloke in a tux t-shirt, a few people in full formal get up but mostly just dressed neatly and reasonably smartly as we were.

But they are not Princess.

No, they aren't but it does show the direction the mainstream lines are moving in

On a separate note, we disembarked Celebrity last week and LOVED "chic" nights instead of formal. Doubt we'd ever go back to a line with formal nights.

Yes, take your kilt and dress up as i do and show them all up! I have just come of Emerald Princess and most men had tuxedos or suits on. Just a few US citizens in jeans and t shirts:eek::eek::eek:

And you know this because they wore their passports around their necks. Very offensive statement. And before you ask, I'm British.

I don't see Hansi's comment as being to offensive. It's an understandable position since he's British.

No, it was the fact that they were speaking American! Not offensive at all. Just stating the facts. Why is everything one says these days labelled as "offensive?" Obviously the politically correct bandwagon again:rolleyes:

No, it was the fact that they were speaking American! Not offensive at all. Just stating the facts. Why is everything one says these days labelled as "offensive?" Obviously the politically correct bandwagon again:rolleyes:

I assume you mean speaking with an American accent, since American isn't a language. If politically correct is being respectful, then yes I'm politically correct. 🙄

Edited by dtb55
forgot eyeroll

I don't see Hansi's comment as being to offensive. It's an understandable position since he's British.

What position is that? Rude, anti-American? Just curious, because I'm also British.

I assume you mean speaking with an American accent, since American isn't a language. If politically correct is being respectful, then yes I'm politically correct. 🙄

The term "speaking American " was meant to be a joke. Geez, don't you have a sense of humour?

What position is that? Rude, anti-American? Just curious, because I'm also British.

I don't find his stance on how he sees Americans as being rude or offensive or Anti American. It's how I believe the British typically view Americans and he's entitled to his views.

I have my own opinions on how I see others also. British included. :D

Of course they might not be totally correct for your culture but it's only how my exposure to UK citizens has formed mostly by interaction on cruise ships and limited exposure in the US.

I don't find his stance on how he sees Americans as being rude or offensive or Anti American. It's how I believe the British typically view Americans and he's entitled to his views.

I have my own opinions on how I see others also. British included. :D

Of course they might not be totally correct for your culture but it's only how my exposure to UK citizens has formed mostly by interaction on cruise ships and limited exposure in the US.

Would be real interesting to see what Americans would think when they hear a "British" accent. Talk about comments that could be considered insulting. Sometimes posters do bot know when to leave it alone.

My friends were on their very first cruise on the Regal in the caribbean last month. The gentleman did not want to bring a sport coat and was NOT allowed in the dining room.

Finally enforcement of the rules:). I may be in the minority, but I hope Princess keeps formal nights enforces the rules already on the books.

fireproof-suit.jpg?w=358&h=300

Ok, ready for the replies.....:D:D:D

Bob

Finally enforcement of the rules:). I may be in the minority, but I hope Princess keeps formal nights enforces the rules already on the books.

Bob

I hope so too!

Limited exposure is common. I try not to form preconceived ideas about people when the only contact I may have is in the artificial context of a cruise ship. Getting off the ship and spending time in various countries has shown me that people who don't live on cruise ships can be very nice and endlessly interesting. Having family in Leicestershire, I have spent a fair amount of time in England about as far from a dock as you can get. :)

Would be real interesting to see what Americans would think when they hear a "British" accent.

Not to mention regional differences (as one will also hear in the US.)

If he had a dress shirt or an Aloha shirt he would have been OK. With the limited information it's inconclusive as to what actually happened.

I was once sent back to change my shirt on a formal night on the Royal. NO biggie & only took a few minutes while my wife held our table.

Bob

Limited exposure is common. I try not to form preconceived ideas about people when the only contact I may have is in the artificial context of a cruise ship. Getting off the ship and spending time in various countries has shown me that people who don't live on cruise ships can be very nice and endlessly interesting. Having family in Leicestershire, I have spent a fair amount of time in England about as far from a dock as you can get. :)

Not to mention regional differences (as one will also hear in the US.)

Since ship interaction is about the only thing I have to go with I'll have to live with my opinion that have been formed from cruise experiences for most British people since I have no desire to visit the UK.