another annoying muster

OTOW guy

I feel so sorry that you are going to have to delay your dinner for 1/2 hour. I am sure that it is going to totally ruin the rest of your cruise as well as the rest of your life. You have my condolences.

DON

And here I was worried we made our dinner reservations too early, thereby conflicting with the Muster (which I have no complaint about, BTW). Then I remembered we will be on a cruise ship, where it is highly unlikely there will be a shortage of food LOL Then I read your post and it made me laugh. Thanks for the chuckle. :)

Edited by galensgrl
Edited for context

I read in the news that there was a lot of radio chatter between the Captain & land for an hour or so. I got the impression he may have needed permission to abandon ship. I think finally the captain said there's water coming in ________________, I'm ordering abandon ship.

Actually it was radio talk to the Coast Guard and telephone talk to the company's emergency officer, and all during that time Schettino continued to downplay the severity of the emergency. The company's emergency response officer is there to provide an additional asset for the Captain, but no Captain needs permission to abandon ship.

And here I was worried we made our dinner reservations too early, thereby conflicting with the Muster (which I have no complaint about, BTW). Then I remembered we will be on a cruise ship, where it is highly unlikely there will be a shortage of food LOL Then I read your post and it made me laugh. Thanks for the chuckle. :)

No conflict.

Remember, heading back to my room from medical, I saw my head waiter in my stair alcove during muster drill, not downstairs serving tables.

If ever called to muster in an emergency, that's precisely what you should do.

Under such circumstances there will no doubt be passengers second-guessing everything that they are told to do, thereby endangering everyone else.

The crew has a procedure to follow, which they have been well-trained in. They won't need the distraction of trying to keep people who don't know everything that's going on in line.

And another veiled compliment (not)! You seem to misunderstand the purpose of Cruise Critic, but as it happens, I can instruct you there. It is to discuss, among other things, the procedure for things on board cruise ships. There is a great difference between doing or not doing what needs to be done in an emergency, and discussing and questioning procedures while off the ship.

In fact, this is a discussion board and (gasp) that is what it is here for. Not to be told we are incapable of understanding the need for mandatory participation in a third muster drill in eight days. Or that we will do something bonehead like questioning the need while the muster is going on (the survey would be a more likely place) I suppose you can say that drinks should not be sold until after muster drill. Possibly everyone should place their minibars and permitted wine high above the cookie jar until it is safely over.

So! If you don't want dissenting views, advise you to go to some safe zone, as the kids desire, where only the views you want heard will be heard. Such is not Cruise Critic.

Edited by Wehwalt

Thank you RuthC. I was thinking along these lines, but didn't know how to word it without adding fuel to the fire. But you are right, it isn't the pax place to question safety procedures meant to save our lives. Cheers!

No it isn't our place.

In the case of the South Korean ferry, pax were told to go to their cabins. Many crew survived, many pax didn't. Blindly following orders has its down side.

If everything goes according to plan, the crew's training will work and we can have great confidence in this.

When things do not go according to plan (eg: the Concordia, the South Korean ferry), what happens then?

I originally wanted to keep out if this discussion as I would probably start to lose my patience with some, but alas...

1) If you don't want to participate in the Muster Drill, then STAY HOME. Full stop.

2) Chengkp75 is absolutely correct in his posts regarding Costa Concordia.

How do I know? I use this accident in my Command Training Courses.

regards,

D.

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of Cruise Critic, but as it happens, I can instruct you there. It is to discuss, among other things, the procedure for things on board cruise ships. There is a great difference between doing or not doing what needs to be done in an emergency, and discussing and questioning procedures while off the ship.

In fact, if anyone on this board understands the purpose of CC it's Ruth. You, on the other hand, seem to think that your opinion - no matter how wrong - can override facts.

Thank you for telling me how ignorant I am. I guess I can never understand such things and should mindlessly do what I'm told like a good child.

Ruth is absolutely correct.. When it comes to safety procedures on a cruise ship you should follow the instructions of the Captain & crew even if you don't agree! Arguing with the crew about safety procedures or not following their orders during a muster, can get you either removed from a ship or if you are at sea you could be incarcerated in the brig..

I feel so sorry that you are going to have to delay your dinner for 1/2 hour. I am sure that it is going to totally ruin the rest of your cruise as well as the rest of your life. You have my condolences.

DON

Now this is very funny!:D:D

BTW to those who do not know Chengkp or Topsham, most of us on the HAL board understand that they know more about cruising, & ships than anyone on this site.. Topsham is a retired ships Captain & also is a wonderful artist whose paintings of all HAL's & many Carnival ships are hung on board the ships.. Cheng was a former Ships Officer, who I understand worked for NCL, but I'm not sure when that was..

Listen to these two Gentlemen folks, they know what they are talking about..

Edited by serendipity1499

No it isn't our place.

In the case of the South Korean ferry, pax were told to go to their cabins. Many crew survived, many pax didn't. Blindly following orders has its down side.

If everything goes according to plan, the crew's training will work and we can have great confidence in this.

When things do not go according to plan (eg: the Concordia, the South Korean ferry), what happens then?

I was agreeing with RuthC. I find she knows what's up with cruising, and I like how she expresses that wisdom. ;)

Ruth is absolutely correct.. When it comes to safety procedures on a cruise ship you should follow the instructions of the Captain & crew even if you don't agree! Arguing with the crew about safety procedures or not following their orders during a muster, can get you either removed from a ship or if you are at sea you could be incarcerated in the brig..

Now this is very funny!:D:D

BTW to those who do not know Chengkp or Topsham, most of us on the HAL board understand that they know more about cruising, & ships than anyone on this site.. Topsham is a retired ships Captain & also is a wonderful artist whose paintings of all HAL's & many Carnival ships are hung on board the ships.. Cheng was a former Ships Officer, who I understand worked for NCL, but I'm not sure when that was..

Listen to these two Gentlemen folks, they know what they are talking about..

Thank you. Actually, still sailing, I've got about 4 more years to pay off the youngest's college! I was with NCL from 2004-2008.

>snip<

>snip<

I get great entertainment from reading what people post when they doesn't know who they are disagreeing with .... :D ;) I am hopeful that not all of those posters see your post ;) (I live a pretty quiet life and need to get entertainment where I can ;) )

No, ChEng is not making any assumptions. All of this in all of the official reports.

Since the loss of COSTA CONCORDIA there have been a continuous stream of information and you can guarantee the ChEng is up to date with information.

Being up to date, and somehow changing the synario in which a ship sank is a assumption. There are facts and speculation. We know know what happened, not what should have happened.

we are taking the Veendam from Ft.L to Montreal this month and after 3 sea days we are in Boston from 10 til 6 pm. Some people are boarding from Boston and I hear that all the passengers will have to do another muster at that port. It doesn't make sense that so many will have to be inconvenienced for a few and since early seating is at 5:30 will those diners have to wait until 6 and the late seating moved from 8 to 8:30? I am sure that they can just log in the new passengers by stateroom for the Boston drill and not screw everyone else.

We once had a late embarkation, and they did a hurried dinner at 5:30, no regular seating, very strange dinner because we saw waiter after waiter hurrying past us w/ trays of food. We boarded around 5 PM, and were in the first group. Some at muster complained about no dinner at all. Muster was 7:30 or 8 PM. The next morning, no one really cared we had chaos the day before.

They used to give the announcements at muster in five or more languages, but not anymore. Don't know why that's been discontinued. It gave me comfort that everyone would be with the program. I know in Texas some only speak Spanish.

Edited by knittinggirl

I was intrigued on our Oosterdam B2B (Feb/March) that they no longer use a printed passenger list, but now they scan your card with a little hand held device. No more yelling out names!

And as stated, we were not required to attend the muster for the second leg.

John

I have forgotten my card! Left it in a rush. Left at the pool. Left in the Lido. Left it at the bar. Left it I don't know? y DW has it and I don't know where.

Any idea how they handle the new system without the card?

I have forgotten my card! Left it in a rush. Left at the pool. Left in the Lido. Left it at the bar. Left it I don't know? y DW has it and I don't know where.

Just guessing, but likely like the SKU scanners at stores, where they can manually enter the cabin number.

Royal Caribbean did the the scanning system, then went back to the trusty old print out system. Could have been different system on different ships.

It's amazing how the young folk can't go back to the old system. At work, DH said the younger employees didn't know how to use a typewriter.

Edited by knittinggirl

It's amazing how the young folk can't go back to the old system. At work, DH said the younger employees didn't know how to use a typewriter.

I haven't used (or seen) a typewriter since the mid-90s. Anyone born since around then probably hasn't either. Not surprising that someone who has never seen or worked with a piece of equipment doesn't know how to use it. ;)

They are very important and we do them as told. It has nothing to do with the Concordia which was cluster F---. I just don't understand why we all need to do the full muster after only 3 days on board. There could be a simple way to just have the Boston boarding passengers to catch up on what we were already told.

My dinner comments were just a comment as we are doing as you wish but might affect others who look forward to an early dinner.

Royal Caribbean did the the scanning system, then went back to the trusty old print out system. Could have been different system on different ships.

What's a typewriter? :)

I just don't understand why we all need to do the full muster after only 3 days on board.

What makes you so positive that you even HAVE to participate in a second muster at all? Many posters have reported a 30-day rule on recent HAL cruises.

This could be a lot of angst over nothing.

They are very important and we do them as told. It has nothing to do with the Concordia which was cluster F---. I just don't understand why we all need to do the full muster after only 3 days on board. There could be a simple way to just have the Boston boarding passengers to catch up on what we were already told.

My dinner comments were just a comment as we are doing as you wish but might affect others who look forward to an early dinner.

If you have to do a second muster drill, it will be for Holland America's convenience. It is easier to have all passengers report than to have staff questioning the exceptions.

What makes you so positive that you even HAVE to participate in a second muster at all? Many posters have reported a 30-day rule on recent HAL cruises.

This could be a lot of angst over nothing.

We are just home from an 89 day Rotterdam cruise. We had four muster drills! We don't love them, but if you are cruising, just go with the flow.Yes, we were required to be present at all four, names and room numbers were checked off.

With that said, ibe evebubg at 4:00 a.m. the general alarm went off. The ship watch announced an emergency! We were all awake, some passengers actually got dressed and emptied their safe. Some just waited in the room not doing anything. About five minutes later the Captain announced that all was well, there was a fire in the crew galley. Yes, thank you for the muster drills, if this was a real emergency, no matter how many times we have gone through it, I am sure most of us would have forgotten some of the directions.

Again, muster drills can be annoying (think four on one cruise)_ but never miss one

If muster drills are such an annoyance to some, stop cruising

Lorraine

Edited by Queen of the Queen