Embark Day MDR Lunch

SheriffJoe

Its been a few years since we sailed Princess, is the MDR still open on embarkation day and do they try to dissuade you or outright lie to you about it being open like they used to?

Still open but the push is still to send you to the buffet. The specific dining room is listed on the back of the embarkation day patter but I imagine most people don't see it because it's embedded in the long list of dining choices and times. You have to know what you're looking for in order for it to stand out.

Even if you go to the dining room, the gal (or guy) at the door doesn't invite you in. I've seen people being hesitant as they walk up to the door and then turn around and leave as they aren't greeted so they think it's closed. But those of us who confidently walk in are greeted warmly and seated immediately.

My advice - check the patter for the specific dining room and be there before 1:30. Walk in like you know exactly what you're doing.

Edited by idahospud

Its been a few years since we sailed Princess, is the MDR still open on embarkation day and do they try to dissuade you or outright lie to you about it being open like they used to?

Always a little "iffy" when it comes to the MDR on embarkation day these days. It is always open. We have seen it both ways as far as keeping you out or not. On our last cruise they were quite welcoming for lunch in the MDR. We always check the menu, however, because sometimes it is the striped down lunch menu with only a couple of choices and other times it has been a regular lunch menu with many choices. So far there has always been something good either way. YMMV

Edited by ar1950

Yes, the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. The venue will vary from ship to ship but the location will be on the back page of the embarkation day edition of the Patters that will be in your cabin. We no longer rush aboard for the lunch....we don't need the calories....however as I recall the venue is open from noon until 1:30 pm. And yes if you ask the staff they still tend to direct you to the buffet.

Thanks, glad to see its still open but not so much that they STILL after all these years try to deter you.....we NEVER and I mean NEVER eat at the buffet so relaxing in the MDR right after boarding is one of our favorite things, not to mention the Gran Marnier soufflé which is the best thing Princess serves IMO....and yes we ALWAYS eat breakfast in the MDR as well

Even if you go to the dining room, the gal (or guy) at the door doesn't invite you in. I've seen people being hesitant as they walk up to the door and then turn around and leave as they aren't greeted so they think it's closed. But those of us who confidently walk in are greeted warmly and seated immediately.

So true. The irritating part is you feel begging to be let in when it is in fact included in the cruise fare.

Why don't you just go grab a burger or a slice of pizza by the pool instead?

Why waste time being served in the MDR, only to get the same slop?

Last month on the Crown, the dining room door was wide open and we were welcomed. We too have been steered away from the MDR on previous cruises, but we are usually persistant because lunch in the MDR is my favorite way to start off a cruise, The menu has definitely been reduced over the last few years, but I am always happy with the selections since I love salmon.

Last December, 2015 dh and I were on the partial Panama Canal Cruise. As soon as we were on board, around 12:00, we went straight to the open dining room. The matre d insisted that we go to the buffet. We refused and said that we checked with customer relations that YES, from 12:00-1:30 cruisers may certainly dine in the MDR. He nastily said, well you were misinformed, that only cruisers still in transit (back-to-backers) are allowed to eat in MDR. So then I said, we refuse to leave and that I will call up customer service to complain and I asked for his name. Suddenly he said, "ok for you I will make an exception." So me being me said, "ok, for you I will also make an exception and not complain." Any way, let's just say dh and I were very irritated about the whole thing. Meal wasn't great, but pleasant after we made an effort not to think about the argument with matre d.

Why don't you just go grab a burger or a slice of pizza by the pool instead?

Why waste time being served in the MDR, only to get the same slop?

Slop?? We have never had "slop" in the MDR for lunch. If you like the burgers and pizza on the Lido and consider them slop, enjoy.

BTW, we have never considered anything on the ship including the Lido food as slop. YMMV.

December 2015' date=' Caribbean Princess we walked up and were seated. No problems. We were pleasantly surprised at the menu as we'd been warned that it was limited. It was excellent.[/quote']

Do you remember what dining room it was Moki'smommy? We are sailing on Caribbean Princess in 2 weeks! It's my in laws first cruise so I think a nice uncrowded dining room lunch would be the perfect start.

Thanks! :)

Last December, 2015 dh and I were on the partial Panama Canal Cruise. As soon as we were on board, around 12:00, we went straight to the open dining room. The matre d insisted that we go to the buffet. We refused and said that we checked with customer relations that YES, from 12:00-1:30 cruisers may certainly dine in the MDR. He nastily said, well you were misinformed, that only cruisers still in transit (back-to-backers) are allowed to eat in MDR. So then I said, we refuse to leave and that I will call up customer service to complain and I asked for his name. Suddenly he said, "ok for you I will make an exception." So me being me said, "ok, for you I will also make an exception and not complain." Any way, let's just say dh and I were very irritated about the whole thing. Meal wasn't great, but pleasant after we made an effort not to think about the argument with matre d.

That's terrible and I too would have felt irritated. Did you notice whether the embarkation lunch appeared in the Dining Section of the Patter? It has on all our cruises in the last couple of years. I would have been waiving it in his face. I also would have stopped at customer service after the lunch and filed a complaint.

I have mixed feeling about the MDR on all the ship. The maitre'd seemed to take forever to seat us in anytime dining, which was really maddening to me. Keep in mind I was a hostess in a restaurant for many years and know about rotating servers and keeping enough tables for reservations.

Here are my thoughts on anytime. The first night is fine- but then people request certain tables and servers for the whole week. So all those open tables when you go in for dinner are "reserved" and it makes it much more difficult for the staff.

I think anytime should be first come first serve because this is causing long lines to be seated and long wait times.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Three consecutive cruises I have had lunch in the main dining room, and have had the Orange Souffle offered. This is absolutely delicious, and typically this is the only time that it is offered during the cruise. Maybe because they know they won't have to serve too many people. Definitely worth a try. I'm a chocoholic, but this beats the chocolate souffle as far as I am concerned!:)

Edited by ljhershey

Was on the Regal 4/10/16 - 4/17/16 out of FLL.

We do not like buffets, but were unable to eat in the MDR on embarkation day. The reason was that we were unable to get on the ship before lunch in the MDR closed. We were at the pier and in line before 11 A.M. Princess didn't actually let anyone on the ship until 12:30. The lines to check in were absolutely awful. Princess does not have a good system to process that many people onto the Regal.

The following Sunday, we were dreading disembarkation, but much to our surprise, at 8 A.M. we walked off the ship with no line, collected our bags and cleared customs in about 15 minutes.

Edited by sananda