Too busy booking new reservations to answer my email!? 😡

We are booked on a cruise on the anthem in August of this year. This is the first time we have booked directly with Royal. I sent an email to our cruise consultant last week and she never answered. Upon calling the inbound call centre, I was just told that since they are getting so many inbound calls for reservations, they have pulled their consultants away from answering emails and fulfilling requests to help with call volume?!?! I am so mad!!!

I thought by booking direct I would get better customer service!!! I feel completely deceived....

What was the point of booking direct??? Is there any advantage? And to follow this up, is there a point of now switching the reservation to a TA? Would we get the TA credit if we do so?

Nevermind that there was a price drop on our cruise and the only way to get the lower price (according to rccl) is to cancel and rebook. And since we've booked a guarantee (and already have the room number), we don't want to take the chance for the $100 we'd save.

Frustrated....

We are booked on a cruise on the anthem in August of this year. This is the first time we have booked directly with Royal. I sent an email to our cruise consultant last week and she never answered. Upon calling the inbound call centre, I was just told that since they are getting so many inbound calls for reservations, they have pulled their consultants away from answering emails and fulfilling requests to help with call volume?!?! I am so mad!!!

I thought by booking direct I would get better customer service!!! I feel completely deceived....

What was the point of booking direct??? Is there any advantage? And to follow this up, is there a point of now switching the reservation to a TA? Would we get the TA credit if we do so?

Nevermind that there was a price drop on our cruise and the only way to get the lower price (according to rccl) is to cancel and rebook. And since we've booked a guarantee (and already have the room number), we don't want to take the chance for the $100 we'd save.

Frustrated....

Did you resolve your issue whilst you were on the phone with them?

If you transfer to a TA you will lose "control" of your booking. Any changes, dining option, cabin location etc would need to be done brought your TA. Likewise if there is a price drop you would not be able to call in and get it honored, you would need to go through TA. It is down to personal choice.

Edited by Spurschick

Forgot to say, but their call centers are probably overwhelmed at the moment with all the people calling in about the cancelled cruises and trying to rebook alternatives. It is likely, and rightly so, that these guests are probably being given priority, especially when a lot have had their cruises cancelled twice now.

Edited by Spurschick

I guess I'm confused. Any time I wanted to do something with my reservation I would call. I do this with cruises, hotels, cars, etc even if an email is provided. Call and get immediate resolution instead of an email and waiting. I have always had good costumer service with my reservation when calling.

Ive booked thru a TA once and never again. I personally like being in control of my reservation even if there is an incentive.

Edited by brenderlou

I guess I'm confused. Any time I wanted to do something with my reservation I would call. I do this with cruises, hotels, cars, etc even if an email is provided. Call and get immediate resolution instead of an email and waiting.

Agree it is much more efficient to call. Only time I email is if I need a paper trail to prove something was discussed. (Eg issue I had one cruise with excursions pre purchased). Even then, if you call you can request an email whilst still on the call.

the cruise consultant could be on vacation for all we know!

Edited by Spurschick

theres no need to talk to a specific agent at RC. You can call the 1-800 number and get things done with whoever answers the phone (or if not, hang up and call back and the next person can usually help). The people who you book the cruise with have no incentives to have a continued relationship with you like private travel agents do. Their job is to book cruises and move on, they don't really work like travel agents in the sense that you're probably thinking they do. If you send an email, the person may not even be back at work for a few days. It's better to just call and talk to whoever answers.

You can move your booking to a travel agent if you want, but then everything you want to do, any changes or price drops etc, have to be done through them, which can sometimes take longer then just calling and doing it yourself, depending on how busy or good your agent is.

Our October cruise was booked via TA. We're in an E2 balcony. Earlier this month, D3 balconies took a big price drop. Still would've required cancelling and rebooking. Might've been different for an E2 price drop, but I didn't ask.

Booking direct only ensures that you are the one dealing with issues. It doesn't change RCI's rules.

If you're in the US, and a category above your takes a big drop and you want to move up to that category it is not a cancel and rebook. You keep the same booking number and they make the change. Outside of the US I cannot comment as the rules for other countries are different.

As long as you keep the same booking number, you're not cancelling. Sometimes, a booking promotion is only good on new bookings only. If that's the case, then the agents may have to cancel and rebook to get a new booking number for the promotion. In most cases, they can avoid that issue.

Frustrated....

Our October cruise was booked via TA. We're in an E2 balcony. Earlier this month, D3 balconies took a big price drop. Still would've required cancelling and rebooking. Might've been different for an E2 price drop, but I didn't ask.

Booking direct only ensures that you are the one dealing with issues. It doesn't change RCI's rules.

That's interesting that they are making you cancel and re-book to get a price drop. They used to do that and then for the past year when each new sale started they just re-priced the bookings without making folks cancel. Sounds like they are going bake to the way it used to be.

Edited by molly361

That's interesting that they are making you cancel and re-book to get a price drop. They used to do that and then for the past year when each new sale started they just re-priced the bookings without making folks cancel. Sounds like they are going bake to the way it used to be.

My TA told me yesterday that Royal has warned them about cancelling and rebooking to get perks restricited to new bookings. We will see.

Forgot to say, but their call centers are probably overwhelmed at the moment with all the people calling in about the cancelled cruises and trying to rebook alternatives. It is likely, and rightly so, that these guests are probably being given priority, especially when a lot have had their cruises cancelled twice now.

This right here.

My TA told me yesterday that Royal has warned them about cancelling and rebooking to get perks restricited to new bookings. We will see.

RCL wasn't even making folks cancel and re-book lately. They have been re-pricing the existing bookings. So much for that apparently

Thank you for all your replies. I have no problem calling them up to ask questions. This whole thing started because the person I booked with I guess left me with the wrong impression. She told me to call her directly with any questions or to email her. She acted like as if she was now assigned to me so I thought I was getting an attention to detail that I've not even had before through a TA. She even told me she'd call me when my room number got assigned and my new dining time approved!!!

As for the price drop, I have to say I was surprised that they wouldn't change it to the new price without rebooking. Not worth the $100 since I already know my room and am happy with it...

Edited by cruiser01

In my case, I thought it was because the prices on the E2's hadn't dropped, only the D3's. I didn't like the location of those, plus the rebook would've lost us our early dining time. This week anyway. I'm still keeping an eye on prices, though. I'll try again if the E2's drop and see what happens.

Sorry, I guess I missed something, what canceled cruises?

We ( and by we I mean ME) always book direct with Royal. After we decide on a cruise I just call and deal with a person at Royal Caribbean. I tell them what we want what cabins the cabin #'s and so on. Then if I need to add or change something I just call. Same with price drops , just a phone call away. Never have had a problem. The only time I've emailed anyone was when we had a Grand Suite on Oasis and the concierge e-mailed us first I then e-mailed him back with a few questions DH had and followed up with a phone call. I like to have control and neither DH or I have the patients for playing the waiting game with people ( waiting on the TA would drive me crazy).

My TA has given me the same warning the last couple of times I have asked her to do a reprice, both times I told her to do it anyway and if they wanted to switch me back to the original reservation to just cancel period.

My TA has given me the same warning the last couple of times I have asked her to do a reprice, both times I told her to do it anyway and if they wanted to switch me back to the original reservation to just cancel period.

Did the cruise line back off and let you keep the same reservation, or did you have to cancel and rebook?