Kids in their own room

Does anyone know if I will be able to arrange for all 4 of our sea pass cards to open both cabins?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Each card can open only one cabin. w, it is simple to go to guests services once on board, explain the situation and get extra cards to open the other cabins--so then if you ant access to both your room and theirs you have to cards--one for each room--which are really not that hard to carry. we do this on all of our cruises--it is nice to be able to get in to retrieve an item that went into the wrong suitcase, or for me to look in and assure myself all is ell if I get panicky late at night, etc.

LOL! Or the licked hair over the lock ha ah! Must say a lot of good ideas coming out of this thread for when we do let the kids have their own room ! [emoji13]

For those that do so, are you able to get an interior directly opposite ie a couple of doors down, or could their room be some distance away? Is that a deciding factor or not so much? Some ships only have limited inside staterooms directly adjacent balcony staterooms.

To actually book the kids in one room and the adults in another, you have to be adjacent or directly across from one another. (this is also why you cannot book kids alone in a gty room)

You can book one adult and one child each in rooms further apart, then go to guest services once on board for extra keys and sleep in whichever rooms you prefer (you remain in the BOOKED room for muster station--make sure everyone knows where they should go). we have done this several times (including with gtys) and always been completely honest about our sleeping arrangements with guest service and stateroom hosts and never had any issues at all (even doing gty and ending up on different decks a couple of times--with older teens ho cruise often and are comfortable with the separation).

Did the across the hall rooms when the oldest were 13 and 11, but kept the youngest with us. Loved the tape idea!

And of course, it's necessary to keep a close eye on them. I always thought my kids were well behaved, and that I knew what they were doing on cruises (imposed curfews, made them spend most time on family vacations with us, and stalked them so I'd see what they were actually doing, etc.). I used to check their cabin, to make sure that they were keeping it clean and neat since I didn't want the steward to have to clean up after feral animals. Imagine my AAAACK moment when I checked my kids' interior cabin one afternoon...opening the cabin door, turning on the light and discovering my 16 yr old son with a college girl in a compromising situation....my hair is still gray. I discovered that it's not enough to tell your kids not to go in someone's cabin. You also have to tell them not to invite anyone into their cabin (that kid is now a new lawyer and still finding loopholes).

My kids still rave about growing up with cruise vacations. I wonder what they aren't telling me....

Not looking for Judgy McJudgersons here. :D

I'm just wondering how old your kids were when you let them have their own room across the hall. And also, were there any issues you encountered.

We currently have connecting balcony rooms booked on Harmony, but it would save us quite a bit of money to have our oldest 2 in a room across the hall. They will be 10 and (barely) 12.

We are doing this next April on Allure- we have an ocean balcony, kids across the hall in boardwalk balcony. They will be 14 and 16 at that time. Not worried at all; my kids are not the sneaky type, especially when together.

We booked 16 months out and had a surprisingly hard time finding a cabin across the hall that was directly there- you might want to check with your TA first!

Each card can open only one cabin. w, it is simple to go to guests services once on board, explain the situation and get extra cards to open the other cabins--so then if you ant access to both your room and theirs you have to cards--one for each room--which are really not that hard to carry. we do this on all of our cruises--it is nice to be able to get in to retrieve an item that went into the wrong suitcase, or for me to look in and assure myself all is ell if I get panicky late at night, etc.

DW and I always got an extra key card for the kids' room. We never carried it with us, we left it on the desk in our room. Since the kids' room was always very close to ours, if we wanted access to their room, we just went in our room first and got the key.

I still haven't. Lol

My "not the sneaking out type" oldest - was on her 16th (I think it was 16th) cruise and she didn't come home from the teen club one night at 12:30am.

I - WAS - FUMING!

I left the cabin and went to the teen club - no one was there. I started searching the public areas, getting more and more angry with each step (this kid was raised on ships, she knew the rules - no going into cabins, no going anywhere other than the teen clubs without my knowledge, etc)

I headed back to the cabin and was ready to call security when she comes bobbing around the corner and I just blew up.

She was in "Central Park" hanging with the teens.

Curfew was MIDNIGHT - period. So for the rest of the cruise, I went back to doing walk bys at the teen club. And I walked TO the teen club at midnight to meet her.

She's a good kid. She was stretching her independence. I got that. But she won't be appearing on "Lost at Sea: Dateline" (yes, I swear that was going through my mind, I was that upset)

I have two kids in the teen club, they both stay in my cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still haven't. Lol

My "not the sneaking out type" oldest - was on her 16th (I think it was 16th) cruise and she didn't come home from the teen club one night at 12:30am.

I - WAS - FUMING!

I left the cabin and went to the teen club - no one was there. I started searching the public areas, getting more and more angry with each step (this kid was raised on ships, she knew the rules - no going into cabins, no going anywhere other than the teen clubs without my knowledge, etc)

I headed back to the cabin and was ready to call security when she comes bobbing around the corner and I just blew up.

She was in "Central Park" hanging with the teens.

Curfew was MIDNIGHT - period. So for the rest of the cruise, I went back to doing walk bys at the teen club. And I walked TO the teen club at midnight to meet her.

She's a good kid. She was stretching her independence. I got that. But she won't be appearing on "Lost at Sea: Dateline" (yes, I swear that was going through my mind, I was that upset)

I have two kids in the teen club, they both stay in my cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter did this on Quantum only it was 1:30 am and I was a mess. It was the last night of the cruise and they had started searching the ship. I had filled out the missing persons form complete with a body sketch marking her moles and scars....OMG still gives me terrors. She saw the time ran to our room where her brother told her we where at guest services she ran down to GS when she came around the corner I almost fainted in relief. Then Being in public I to control myself from yelling at her

The head security officer gave her a lecture much better than I could have at point. She is now terrified to miss curfew. FYI she was in the card room, just hanging out. That's the go to place to hang out. I had never thought of it before but its quite and not used much after 10 pm. She is a amazing well behaved 4.0, national level athlete, president Junior National honor society rule following teen. But she is a kid and kids make bad choices.

So its connecting rooms for me or we all share a room. If she hadn't pulled her missing at sea act I would have been fine with her acrossed the hall, even down the hall but not now.

I think we worked up from an adjoining cabin when they were five and 7 to a room across the hall the next cruise.. Had them next door without a door after that then a few doors down the hall... Now in their late teens, it's just more or less a conscience to have them somewhere near the same stairwell - but when we book late that's always possible and never a deal breaker. They're home for our next cruise and up forward on our first Alaska cruise while we are aft.

My good friend took her mother to stay in the cabin with her then 7 and 9 year old kids, so they would not be alone in the cabin and have "supervision".

Hahaha, One night, after the kids club, the kids came knocking on her door to help deal with a situation... seems "grandma" was passed out drunk in the bathroom and they did not know what to do! Looks like they should have had "grandma" and dad switch rooms so my friend could keep and eye on her mom and dad the kids! So much for solutions! LOL.... :D:D

As far as a fixed "age" it kind of depends on your kids... There are some that are just fine at 10-12 others that need to be duct taped to a chair till 22!

We have kids aged 13 and 10. I fully appreciate the opportunity to save some holiday money as you propose, but not sure we would be ready to do it until the youngest was at least 13, if not a little older. They are responsible, and we have left them in the (quad share) cabin watching a movie and put themselves to sleep - leaving instructions not to open the door to anyone etc, and they've been fine.

But if we can't get interconnecting at a good price, we will continue to do quad share for now.

I can't wait till we don't have to consider that an option though!! [emoji13].

What is quad share?

We have kids aged 13 and 10. I fully appreciate the opportunity to save some holiday money as you propose, but not sure we would be ready to do it until the youngest was at least 13, if not a little older. They are responsible, and we have left them in the (quad share) cabin watching a movie and put themselves to sleep - leaving instructions not to open the door to anyone etc, and they've been fine.

But if we can't get interconnecting at a good price, we will continue to do quad share for now.

I can't wait till we don't have to consider that an option though!! [emoji13].

What is quad share?

4 to a cabin. :eek:

4 to a cabin. :eek:

Yep..we did it originally 17 nites Hawaii to Sydney. It was tight but manageable. We spend enough on the kids to travel with us so would rather 'bunch' up and save some money for the next trip than spend it on an extra cabin !

However we did get interconnecting cabins on a guarantee deal last year (how lucky were we) that was cheaper than our original quad share - having two bathrooms was pure LUXURY lol!!!

Edited by QE2_Fan

for our last cruise, kids were 10 and 12, and were in connecting room. We are doing the same for our cruise April 2017. However, we are now going away December 2016, and they, 11 and 13, are booked in an inside room across from us. I wasnt comfortable with them having their own balcony - maybe that's crazy, since we let them wander the ship with friends, etc., but somehow I pictured them sitting on the balcony or otherwise screwing around out there, and that made me more nervous than not knowing where in the ship they were until curfew.

Not looking for Judgy McJudgersons here. :D

I'm just wondering how old your kids were when you let them have their own room across the hall. And also, were there any issues you encountered.

We currently have connecting balcony rooms booked on Harmony, but it would save us quite a bit of money to have our oldest 2 in a room across the hall. They will be 10 and (barely) 12.

We are doing the same exact thing as you. Harmony connecting balcony rooms for my kids next year at Spring Break (ages 13 and 15 at time of cruise). I also did this on the Freedom last year. I'm sure my kids are old enough to be across the hall and would do just fine but I like having them connected where I can keep an eye on them especially as they get older and do more on their own. I hate spending so much on a separate balcony room for them though. It's expensive!

You ask a question, you get a variety of answers. No point in asking for opinions if you don't want to hear different answers.

I didn't ask "would you put them in their own room?" I very specifically asked "how old were your kids when you left them?" Therefore if you haven't done it, you have no reason to answer. Unless your objective was to try to tell me you're a better parent than me. Which I assume it was...

Been sticking the kids in their own room across the hall a bunch of time over the last 7 years.

They just turned 11 & 15.

Never any issues.

I put the dead bolts out on both rooms to make it easier to go back & forth during the busy times pre-dinner and pre-shore time.......

I didn't ask "would you put them in their own room?" I very specifically asked "how old were your kids when you left them?" Therefore if you haven't done it, you have no reason to answer. Unless your objective was to try to tell me you're a better parent than me. Which I assume it was...

Experienced posters know that you can't start a thread and then try to control the resulting discussion. This is an open forum, and others are free to express their point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

I answered your question. My answer was 18, then I expanded on why.

If you're uncomfortable with that answer, you'll have to examine your feelings about the question. You might ask this too: If you were completely certain of your choice, would you have asked the question?

I answered your question. My answer was 18, then I expanded on why.

If you're uncomfortable with that answer, you'll have to examine your feelings about the question. You might ask this too: If you were completely certain of your choice, would you have asked the question?

Again, because you seem to be really struggling with 1st grade reading. My question was not "when WOULD you". My question was "when DID you". You said you wouldn't until they are 18. Therfore you did not answer my question. You simply tried to push your judgemental opinions of my parenting on me. Trust me there were quite a few things I was thinking of your parenting when I read that you wouldn't allow your kids to spend a night away from you until they are 18... But I kept them to myself.

Now please, because literally NO ONE here wants your holier than thou helicopter parenting advice, move along. Thanks.

Experienced posters know that you can't start a thread and then try to control the resulting discussion. This is an open forum, and others are free to express their point of view.

I asked a very simple question and added the caveat that I didn't want people to start drama so if they couldn't answer the question, don't respond. Everyone except the the person in question, managed to have a civil and helpful conversation. But this woman simply came here to condemn everyone who kindly answered (and me for asking). I do understand that there are many in this group who are here simply to create drama and try to tell everyone how perfect they are. Which is why I tried to let those people know ahead of time that I didn't want their opinions. But some people can't follow simple instructions.