Favorite Port?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Port?

• Cozumel
    • Mahogany Bay
    • Belize
    • Montego Bay
    • Grand Caymen

Of these ports, my favorite would be Grand Cayman, and then Cozumel.

I have been to Roatan pre Mahogany bay and liked it, but now that I am older and less mobile, Mahogany bay does look appealing to me for a place to get off the ship or a port day on the beach.

Still, Grand Cayman for me. Clean and no pushy vendors.

As for Montego Bay, you would have to do a tour there, because there is apparently nothing right off the ship like in Ocho Rios. I don't hate Jamaica, but travelling solo now, getting older female, I am a bit more leary, and my next cruise is going to MO Bay, so I will either do an easy tour excursion, or make it a stay on board day.

To the OP, how about expanding the Poll - like to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean Islands too?

Agreed!!! :D

Also, for me, Grand Cayman, but I've never been to Grand "Caymen".

Edited by loubetti

we are a family of 7. for us the best port was belize. the reason being we went to royal palm caye for the day. its a private island. of the 3,500 people on board the glory we were the only 7 on the island. we got a wonderful 20 minute boat ride to the island. and then were treated like royalty. there is a full time staff of I believe 12. there were no screaming kids, no shortage of lounge chairs. one of the staff showed us how to use a kayak and then stayed w/us all around the island. lunch was cerviche which the ingredients were caught in the morning, and the best jamacian chichen I have ever had. and I'm not a chicken eater. 2 drinks were allotted per person. there are also houses that can be rented. for a few hours we were treated like kings and queens. ah to be rich!

Cozumel is my favorite port in the Caribbean because it's got it all. You can explore the town, spend some quiet time on the Zocalo in San Miguel, get great authentic Mexican food, bar crawl, spend the day at the beach, and/or see Mayan ruins. There's much more, too.

Edited by gtalum

• 1 month later...
April 30 is Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay. We did this itinerary 5 years ago on the Legend (along with Grand Cayman on that sailing). May 7 is Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I've never been to Montego Bay.

If the only port on both itineraries that you haven't been to yet is Montego Bay, why not go there?

Yes, the people on the Hip Strip and Doctor Caves' beach can be pushy in trying to sell you stuff, but a "no, no, no, I don't smoke it no more" is usually sufficient to move on. I've been approached by just as many "entrepreneurs" in St Maarten at the Phillipsburg beach as at MoBay, but no one puts down St Maarten for that. And Dr Caves beach is vastly more nicer than Phillipsburg.

Another thing to do if you prefer more "security" is to pay for the day pass at Secrets, which is real close to the pier. It's a nice hotel spot, even if the beach is somewhat manufactured. Try to find the guy pushing the jerk chicken cart for lunch.

Travel to me is opening new doors to new experiences and cultures, so I'm biased in my POV.

Edited by evandbob

Been to the port twice. The first time we rented a buggy and drove around the island. Last time we just hung out at Fat Tuesdays which was awesome. I find that at this port you can go on your own or do excursions and still have a great time. I would like for the time to be extend in Cozumel. Arrive early and leave late. I never felt hassled or unsafe. I also loved the addition of the store on the pier.

Cozumel is my favorite port in the Caribbean because it's got it all. You can explore the town, spend some quiet time on the Zocalo in San Miguel, get great authentic Mexican food, bar crawl, spend the day at the beach, and/or see Mayan ruins. There's much more, too.

I so agree. Carnival should extend the time in the port to at least 9 or 10 hours!!!

I loved Grand Cayman so much that I would like to go there and spend a week. I have never felt like that about any other ports Ive visited.

Grand Cayman was nice, the people are friendly without all the pushy vendors trying to sell you stuff.

Hard to really pick one. Some of my favs aren't in the poll, but they are:

St. Lucia - amazing tropical lush island..felt like I was in the south seas

Cozumel - very fun and festive atmosphere no matter where you go (loved Chankanaab and swam with dolphins)

St. Kitts - very clean and well manicured island. Loved Carambola beach club (right out of a Coors bear commercial)

Half Moon Cay - the most powdery white sand and clearest water I've ever seen on any island (runners up..St. Johns/St. Thomas of the Virgin Islands)

Key West - tons of fun there..loved all the shops.

I didn't vote either, my favorites were not on the list. St Lucia and Barbados with St Kitts and Bonaire close behind.

Out of what's on the list, I guess Coz would win but we like Roatan too.

You couldn't pay me to get off the ship in Montego Bay again.

Progreso.

The construction at the port is a gorgeous techno-study. I was able to walk around in town and see some real non-tourist life. And I got to swim in the cenote at Dzilbilchaltun, a long-held dream. Sorry to have missed Merida, though.

Of the ports listed in the poll, Mahogany Bay would be my favorite because of the lovely beach next to the dock.

We've been to all of the ports listed in the poll many times. Wish Carnival would go to new ports in the Caribbean.

When we first started crusing 14 cruises ago, I would have said Grand Cayman was my favorite.

The most beautiful port to me to sail into is St. Thomas, and then going over to St. John's. Grand Turk is also beautiful to see as the water is many shades of blue next to the port due to the depths of the waters. I loved Grand Cayman and St. Martin as I feel they are not as poverty stricken as some of the other ports, but also like Cozumel as there is so much to do and the people are very friendly. Best beach is HMC. So many places, and I like them for many different reasons, too difficult to pick just one.

Edited by Rock_ON!!