How common is it for carnival to skip a tender port due to weather?

nator555

My OCD is messing with me ugh. We leave next week and our cruise will be stopping in GC and Belize. I really want to go to both places lol. If it's slightly wavy out will the tenders still operate?

Edited by nator555

Not sure what you mean by slightly wavy, but the decision to tender or not tender is in part due to port authority call, not just ship captain. And it will depend upon the action and direction of currents and wind. Weather forecasts are carved in stone, but current ones I've seen for next week show reasonable light winds and no storms.

You'd have to ask Mother Nature. It's completely non-predictable. Just like most gambling, there are patterns, but statistically each "event" is it's own, not affected by any prior event.

I've been on about 40 cruises and we're probably a bit better than 60% success on tender ports. I do know that once on Half Moon Cay, the weather changed for the worse while we were on the island and the return tender ride was pretty close to an amusement park ride! It took a few minutes to even get off the tender because they didn't want it to smash up against the ship!

I am no Ships Captain, but from my missed ports, high winds seem to prevent them from docking at the pier, while high seas have canceled tenders and fog keeps you out of Tampa.

Ultimately, there is nothing you can do about it, so hope for the best and don't stress.

Good luck

-F-

I missed half moon cay once. This was on my first cruise , so it was unfortunate but on the other hand I loved being on the ship so much, I didn't really care, lol. But since then I have seen tons of photos so now I really want to go.That is it, no other missed ports.

I'm so happy I get to go to Half Moon Cay twice this summer!!!

I've only had to tender 4 times, and It worked out fine for 3 out of 4. If you're nervous about missing a port, I wouldn't book private excursions unless you are sure they are refundable.

I'm going on the Glory in October and I have those 2 tenders as well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise.

Last summer on the Magic, we missed Mahogany Bay, Roatan due to high winds.

I knew something was going on when we were just sitting in the middle of the ocean, looking at white caps, not moving.

The Captain tried, he really did, said we would wait an hour or so but it just wasn't meant to be.

I was so disappointed as we have never been there before and were to be going to Little French Key. I was just so sad for a while.

This was our first time ever missing a port.

We ended up having the most fun day on board, though! :)

My OCD is messing with me ugh. We leave next week and our cruise will be stopping in GC and Belize. I really want to go to both places lol. If it's slightly wavy out will the tenders still operate?

I feel your pain as I often suffer from the same bout of OCD when traveling myself. I will tell you that I am about 64/40 for Grand Cayman. I have taken over 10 cruises and missed that port multiple times. I have also missed Princess' private island as well as St. Martin. Never missed Belize and I would bet that it almost never happens because you have to twist and turn inside and around the reef and the seas always are flat any time I have been there.

It is really not something you can tell from the ship - I have seen it "slightly wavy" from my balcony but the port was cancelled. Then on a different day with similar seas we were able to tender.

Sadly this is one of the things that we OCD people have to just let go of - we cannot control the weather or the stop. I found it helpful to make a plan B of what you would like to do i

I must be lucky. 31 years of cruising and have NEVER missed a port. And yet, except for specialty cruises like Bermuda or Hawaii, the ports never really mattered. Nbut I will say I would be disappointed in a Southern Caribbean cruise, and not make it to Aruba.