Rate Question

Booking an Oasis class ship for this upcoming November. Last November we had a JS on the Indy and loved it. When I was planning that cruise, the JS consistently stayed (over the course of a month) under $1,000 pp (before tax and port fees). Furthermore, the JS weren't that much more than balcony rooms. However, looking at the Oasis class ships, the JS seem to be significantly higher than the balcony class, and significantly more expensive in general. Any specific reason for this, or is it just because the Oasis class ships are newer? I know demanded in November isn't as high at it is in the peek months, so I'd think the JS price would be similar to what we paid on Indy. Just looking for your thoughts, thanks.

Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks everyone. Do you think on Oasis class it's worth paying more for something in the suite class as compared to a regular balcony?

All depends on the difference in price.

Let's say it is about $300 more pp.

Would not normally be worth it to me. My threshold is around $400 total to go from balcony to JS.

However, the layout of the balcony staterooms on Oasis class is so annoying to me, I might just go to the JS for $600.

To me, it isn't as cut and dry as to look at a rate and accept it. I need to look at the total picture. How many people are in the cabin, are we traveling with just the 2 of us or is our son going to be with us. 3 in the cabin, JS hands down.

What is the balcony rate, is there are really good rate for a balcony with a cabin in a location I am happy with? If there is, I go balcony. We are on Oasis in a week and got a ridiculously low rate for a balcony. JS cabins came down to $1,299 but was going to cost us almost $1,500 to upgrade. We kept the balcony.

What is included in your rate? Current promotion has free gratuities so I would consider that in my decision.

Other thing we consider is what does $600 (increase in your case) mean to me right now? Do we have something we feel is more important to spend that money on or is $600 really nothing to our budget and why aren't we already booking the JS?

Look at the big picture and decide what works for you. We are happy with our Oasis price, never cruised that class ship before, only 2 in the cabin and we feel we will be running around enjoying the ship a lot. Balcony works for us.

To me, it isn't as cut and dry as to look at a rate and accept it. I need to look at the total picture. How many people are in the cabin, are we traveling with just the 2 of us or is our son going to be with us. 3 in the cabin, JS hands down.

What is the balcony rate, is there are really good rate for a balcony with a cabin in a location I am happy with? If there is, I go balcony. We are on Oasis in a week and got a ridiculously low rate for a balcony. JS cabins came down to $1,299 but was going to cost us almost $1,500 to upgrade. We kept the balcony.

What is included in your rate? Current promotion has free gratuities so I would consider that in my decision.

Other thing we consider is what does $600 (increase in your case) mean to me right now? Do we have something we feel is more important to spend that money on or is $600 really nothing to our budget and why aren't we already booking the JS?

Look at the big picture and decide what works for you. We are happy with our Oasis price, never cruised that class ship before, only 2 in the cabin and we feel we will be running around enjoying the ship a lot. Balcony works for us.

All good points. Thank you.

I was wondering if you ever switched when I saw all the JS's disappear

I was wondering if you ever switched when I saw all the JS's disappear

Nope, I held out, barely.:p

DH and I talked it out, we are skipping JS on Oasis and on our Adventure cruise and going to go full suite for our Alaska cruise in 2018 for our 30th. Looking at Princess, instead of Royal Caribbean, so will be pricey but from what I am reading, worth it.

Did you grab one or did you stay too?

Edited by reallyitsmema

Nope, I held out, barely.:p

DH and I talked it out, we are skipping JS on Oasis and on our Adventure cruise and going to go full suite for our Alaska cruise in 2018 for our 30th. Looking at Princess, instead of Royal Caribbean, so will be pricey but from what I am reading, worth it.

Did you grab one or did you stay too?

That sounds cool- nope we stuck with our bargain balcony cabin

Let's say it is about $300 more pp.

However, the layout of the balcony staterooms on Oasis class is so annoying to me, I might just go to the JS for $600.

Because of the inclusion of certain suite benefits at that level, I would probably go for it. We had a hump junior suite on Allure and loved it. The balcony was very large.

On our Oasis sailing, we had a D2 balcony cabin, also on the hump. While the balcony was nice, I agree with Bob--the balcony cabins on Oasis class are not laid out very well, and feel very CRAMPED. So much so, that I probably would never have booked one again on an Oasis class ship--except our next sailing is on Harmony, and the cabins appear to be designed with an Quantum class layout. Since the price for a junior suite on Harmony was more than double the price of balcony cabin, it was not as "reasonably" priced as the upgrade cost you've got .:)

Edited by niksmom630

Would not normally be worth it to me. My threshold is around $400 total to go from balcony to JS.

We upgraded to the JS on the hump from a balcony stateroom just for the nicer bathroom and larger balcony. To us, it was worth the extra $$, but we also booked it during Royal's 30% off sale so that made it more reasonable. We find the balcony stateroom bathrooms very annoying. Sink is too small and the tube shower is ridiculous.

Edited by kalliekae

Booking an Oasis class ship for this upcoming November. Last November we had a JS on the Indy and loved it. When I was planning that cruise, the JS consistently stayed (over the course of a month) under $1,000 pp (before tax and port fees). Furthermore, the JS weren't that much more than balcony rooms. However, looking at the Oasis class ships, the JS seem to be significantly higher than the balcony class, and significantly more expensive in general. Any specific reason for this, or is it just because the Oasis class ships are newer? I know demanded in November isn't as high at it is in the peek months, so I'd think the JS price would be similar to what we paid on Indy. Just looking for your thoughts, thanks.

One should "never" try and compare the rate of one cabin/class to that of another ship. There are simply too many variables that are taken into the calculation that determines why one cabin classification is higher or lower from one ship to the next. You can't even price match between ships within the same "ship class" example Oasis class. A seven day cruise for a JS on Oasis of the Seas will NOT be the same rate charged for a 7 night on the new Harmony. Hope that helps.....