how long does HAL usually take to respond to complaints ?

Lovely other

I returned from my 19 day Koningsdam adventure this week which was unfortunately marred by a couple of incidents involving some of the Italian contractors onboard. I wrote a complaint to head office whilst still on the ship on Tuesday but so far I have not even received an acknowledgement.

I'm wondering how long I should leave it before chasing up a response ?

I was going to write a review but to be honest I'm still quite upset and don't feel I could do so objectively at the moment ...:mad:

In my experience, it took 2-3 weeks to receive a response. You need to remember that HAL needs time to investigate the matter and then to respond. Your correspondence will have to be received, logged, reviewed to decide who to assign it to, then investigated for more information and an appropriate response determined.

Going back to the ship to request additional information can take time when the ship has begun another sailing.

It's difficult to judge how quickly they might respond without knowing the nature of your complaint, particularly if it involves contractors, not employees. That being said, you should have at least received an acknowledgement by now.

Supposedly, you will receive an acknowledgement of your contact immediately and then it could be several weeks before you receive a disposition of the situation. That wasn't my experience and posting on their Facebook page made no difference. So, on my third attempt, two months after my first with no acknowledgement, I cc'd Orlando Ashford. That got an immediate response from several people.

My experience may be the exception. If you have contacted Guest Services with no response or acknowledgement so far, I would continue to contact them on a regular basis.

Debbie

So sorry to hear you had issues onboard. Also sorry we did not have a chance to meet during the Premier week.

I received a response on 4/25 in regards to negative rating for the Dining Room. I responded back and received that response in 2 days

I don't know if toll free call is available for you, but the number for

Guest Relations is 800 5998256.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Supposedly, you will receive an acknowledgement of your contact immediately and then it could be several weeks before you receive a disposition of the situation. That wasn't my experience and posting on their Facebook page made no difference. So, on my third attempt, two months after my first with no acknowledgement, I cc'd Orlando Ashford. That got an immediate response from several people.

My experience may be the exception. If you have contacted Guest Services with no response or acknowledgement so far, I would continue to contact them on a regular basis.

Debbie

What address did you send your first complaints?

How did you contact Orlando Ashford?

I returned from my 19 day Koningsdam adventure this week which was unfortunately marred by a couple of incidents involving some of the Italian contractors onboard. I wrote a complaint to head office whilst still on the ship on Tuesday but so far I have not even received an acknowledgement.

I'm wondering how long I should leave it before chasing up a response ?

I was going to write a review but to be honest I'm still quite upset and don't feel I could do so objectively at the moment ...:mad:

Not to be cynical, but I think it depends on how many complaints they are handling at the time. I had it take over 4 weeks the last time I wrote a letter. They did make us a reasonable offer of a future cruise credit once they responded.

Hi Loverly other, Thank goodness it wasn't just me who had a problem with those hundred or so Italian ship yard workers who were offered Deck & Lido privileges throughout the day when they were off duty. Whilst paying guests like myself had to hunt around the onboard venues looking for a seat !

I have just disembarked from the Koningsdam ( April 8th -27th ) and I too have had to write a letter to HAL's customer service.

This so called Koningsdam Maiden Voyage was my first introduction to Holland & America, sorry to say it'll be my last. It's back to Cunard Line for me.

When you feel up to it, please do consider writing a review, I would be interested if your observations of the cruise match mine. :)

Hi Loverly other, Thank goodness it wasn't just me who had a problem with those hundred or so Italian ship yard workers who were offered Deck & Lido privileges throughout the day when they were off duty. Whilst paying guests like myself had to hunt around the onboard venues looking for a seat !

I have just disembarked from the Koningsdam ( April 8th -27th ) and I too have had to write a letter to HAL's customer service.

This so called Koningsdam Maiden Voyage was my first introduction to Holland & America, sorry to say it'll be my last. It's back to Cunard Line for me.

When you feel up to it, please do consider writing a review, I would be interested if your observations of the cruise match mine. :)

A few weeks ago during the build up to the Maiden Voyage many posters were warning about waiting awhile to let the ship "shake out" first before cruising on her. There was even a discussion on whether initial cruises should be HEAVILY DISCOUNTED for the very reasons people are complaining about now.

In my experience, it took 2-3 weeks to receive a response. You need to remember that HAL needs time to investigate the matter and then to respond. Your correspondence will have to be received, logged, reviewed to decide who to assign it to, then investigated for more information and an appropriate response determined.

Going back to the ship to request additional information can take time when the ship has begun another sailing.

IMO if there were many complaints it may take 4 to 6 weeks to get a response.. But in the meantime, also my opinion, you should have an acknowledgement within 2 weeks saying "Thank you" for your letter with a note that they are looking into your complaint..

That's one reason I would hesitate to cruise on any new ship for several months.. It usually takes that long to iron out the problems..LOL

Edited by serendipity1499

Hello Lovely other .

Just realised that we chatted to you one evening at the New York Deli .

Not sure if you remember that Scottish couple .

Really sorry you had some issues .

On our questionnaire we put how let down we felt with the Maiden Voyage compared to two previous ones on P&O .

We have yet to take it further but have been given an e-mail address.

Hope you get a good response .

Hello Bell Boy

We were on board for the first voyage and expected the Maiden to be on a par with Britannia was last year .Holland America could learn a thing or two from P&O and I suspect Cunard .

What address did you send your first complaints?

How did you contact Orlando Ashford?

I sent the first two communications to Guest Relations at the email address provided on the HAL website. When we hadn't received even an automated reply two months later, I did a web search and came up with Orlando Ashford's email address. Our problem was resolved two days later.

Debbie

Just to clarify the cause for my complaint isn't service related, even though at times that left a lot to be desired. The issue is that I was constantly ridiculed and harassed by the contractors onboard ... My Italian may be a little rusty but I understand enough to know when I'm being called fat and being laughed at. I like to walk the decks a lot especially during sail away and at one point they were fixing something at the front of deck 3 so I had to cut though the inside rather than walking around as each time I passed they would laugh and make derogatory remarks ... I ended up in tears and although both the front desk and security said they would deal with it I ended up being fobbed off with "it's because they're Italian". I lived and worked in Naples so I know how Italian men can be but I don't think I should have to deal with it on my holiday ....

We too had numerous problems with the first voyage but we disregarded the issues we expected such as pipes breaking and water pouring out of the ceiling in numerous locations, things not working in general. We even disregarded the extremely slow service in all of the dining venues, figured they needed to learn the area better. I fortunately did not run into any problems with Fincantiari workers on board. My complaint was the over all attitude of the crew, definitely not the friendly wanting to accommodate crew of years past.

I have been in contact with HAL Guest Relations but no followup resolution as of yet. But mine was started through problems with HAL Air Department where they really dropped the ball. But I will say my list was quite long and extensive without complaining about the ship and it's problems on the first cruise. Mine were all on issues that were just plain normal things that should not happen with crew that this was not their first sailing and treatment of guests.

Just to clarify the cause for my complaint isn't service related, even though at times that left a lot to be desired. The issue is that I was constantly ridiculed and harassed by the contractors onboard ... My Italian may be a little rusty but I understand enough to know when I'm being called fat and being laughed at. I like to walk the decks a lot especially during sail away and at one point they were fixing something at the front of deck 3 so I had to cut though the inside rather than walking around as each time I passed they would laugh and make derogatory remarks ... I ended up in tears and although both the front desk and security said they would deal with it I ended up being fobbed off with "it's because they're Italian". I lived and worked in Naples so I know how Italian men can be but I don't think I should have to deal with it on my holiday ....

That is disgraceful on so many levels. That it happened at all. That it was not addressed and corrected once you reported it. And that the workers were blamed and excused because of their nationality. I wonder how many Italians would have been offended, hearing their nationality being used to excuse boorish behaviour.

(Did you, at any time, want to dust off your dusty Italian skills and tell them their mothers would have been ashamed of them?)

I sent the first two communications to Guest Relations at the email address provided on the HAL website. When we hadn't received even an automated reply two months later, I did a web search and came up with Orlando Ashford's email address. Our problem was resolved two days later.

Debbie

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps you should complain to the Italian government. They should instruct their men to be more sensitive.

That is disgraceful on so many levels. That it happened at all. That it was not addressed and corrected once you reported it. And that the workers were blamed and excused because of their nationality. I wonder how many Italians would have been offended, hearing their nationality being used to excuse boorish behaviour.

(Did you, at any time, want to dust off your dusty Italian skills and tell them their mothers would have been ashamed of them?)

I agree Cow Princess but doubt that a complaint to the Govt. would do any good.. Perhaps a complaint to Franceri or the company who supplies the workers would be appropriate..

In all the years and our many cruises, I don't ythink we ever wrote Hqqal Q COMPLAINTR LETTEr

What are you implying? :confused:

Just because you have never voiced a complaint, does not mean the OP doesn't have one.. She happened to understand the language used & I too would be mortified & hurt.. Cow Princess is right that is disgraceful! :mad::mad: