Price of Photo Packages...Really?!?!?!

8 minutes ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

What is the price per picture a la carte?

So many of us break down the drink/booze packages to see if we would consume enough to either break even or come out ahead.

An 8x10 print is normally $20 - $25.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

What is the price per picture a la carte?

So many of us break down the drink/booze packages to see if we would consume enough to either break even or come out ahead.

It's basically the same theory. If you only want one or two good pictures on formal night than the package isn't worth it. If you want every port photo embarkation photo dinner photos than it may be worth it. It's like hitting up every bar but instead you are stopping to pose for every photographer. When you are just taking pictures just for the sake of taking pictures, to me it has no meaning. I few quality family shots means a lot more to me.  I would also order the drinks I like rather than going down the menu  and tossing them out just because I can as so often suggested in drink package discussion. A crappy drink or crappy picture is just a waste of time and money even if it's all inclusive.

• Like 1

It's the basic law of the marketplace - charge what the traffic will bear.  If enough people will pay the high prices, there is no reason to change the pricing schedule.

It's the same with every other upsell item on the cruise - such as specialty dining.  As long as people will pay it, there's no reason for them to drop the price.

Personally, after 40+ cruises, we don't need another photo of us boarding, posing with a fake pirate on the dock, sitting with a half-finished meal in the MDR, or posing on formal night (although we can get two free portrait photos per cruise if we want)

On 5/3/2016 at 5:55 PM, iahawkfan21 said:

It is an outrageous price IMO. We only take photos on formal night, skipping all the other times they try. The last night we go down and look at all our photos and if we can both agree on one that we like, we will buy one and only one. We have enough photos of each other at home, and as others have said our cell phone camera suffices 99% of the time.

I make my husband do almost every photo op 🙂. However, we still just buy 1 favorite at the end.  So pricey!

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

An 8x10 print is normally $20 - $25.

And, we normally buy the binder thing and a ship photo along with the 8 by 10.... and I feel like we pay around $40-$50.  It’s a little expensive, but it’s something we enjoy.  I’m sure someday when have 20 of these, we might stop 🙂

We always get a print of 1 or 2 formal photos (~ $20 each?) and one of the portfolios with a ship photo,  itinerary, and a spot to put our photo.  Since we only cruise once a year or less, its a nice souvenir, plus the portfolio makes sure the photo gets home undamaged.  We have a decent scanner at home and that has worked just fine to get a photo on Facebook or whatever to share with family.

Its a great deal for us as we'll go to several backdrops/photographers and get the 5 or so photos taken at each, then get to pick out our best shot.  If we have someone just take 1 or 2 shots, chances are one of us will have our eyes closed or otherwise look weird.

Just don't wait until the last night to get photos.  It was a disaster on our last cruise, several times I waited in line for 15 minutes just to be told to come back in an hour...just for the 2 prints.  I ended up staying up late to wait, as they wouldn't give a refund or drop them at our room, and I didn't want to wait until the morning and possibly forget or have them say it still wasn't ready.  Next time we'll be sure to do formal photos on the 1st formal night and get them before the last night (as the 2nd formal night was the night before the last night).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2016 at 4:50 PM, blondie from arizona said:

Diamonds each get 1 free 8x10. That means DH and I get 2 to take home after every cruise. We love it!!!!!

I get once each time also.  As for the photo packages they are less than a photography package from  a studio so actually are a good way to get a family photo .