New Itinerary For Me...questions please

Lois R

Yes, sorry, velveteen is what I was looking for. Your knowledge is impressive and quite specific - I appreciate that! (I generally meant it was "fuzzy" to the touch and has a nap)

Can't wear any of it these days - too dang hot (I loved it when I lived in New England or Utah ;-)

I've always been far handier with a stove than a sewing machine myself:p

Lois - I live 45 miles from Bar Harbor and will be there Sunday for a week -- It is lovely quiet before tourist season begins. If you have any specific questions about the area let me know and I'll check.

Right now we are still waiting for leaves on most of our trees, the other day it snowed for a few minutes --- tomorrow it is expected to be almost 70. Around here "if you don't like the weather ... wait 5 minutes".

You will be here right after "peak", but should still have nice color - we have had very strange falls without a lot of color in the past few years. We do seem to get a little bit more rain in October than in September.

Hope you enjoy your cruise ... Bar Harbor is a beautiful area, and Acadia National Park is a joy to visit. Jan

I do remember back in high school that anything velour was the thing to have. Of course back then it was one of the newer 100% cotton knits and expensive. I had a skirt and a dress made of it and talk about comfortable and soft. Now I don't think anyone makes cotton velour anymore. And the two aren't even close in how they look like silk versus rayon velvet does. Oh, or do you mean ribless coduroy is the same as velveteen? They do look close but velveteen has never been ribbed so isn't shaved down. Yes, I got A's in Home Ec and was in 4-H for sewing, baking and photograpghy. :)

They still make cotton velour

http://www.naturesfabrics.com/cotton-fabric/cotton-velour.html

Kids loved 4-H better than scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only thing I can recommend is to not go the fleece route, unless you have unlimited packing space. Fleece is so 2000s ;) Lightweight, packable down and down alternative (i.e., Primaloft) products are the way to go now. They are not just the big puffy things now - you can find them in any thickness. You can get vests, 1/2 zip pullovers or jackets. Many of the manufacturers now do some pretty cool colors so you do not have to get the standard black that many of us are used to buying as a mandatory part of our mountain resort wardrobe.

For a fall trip, I'd go with a vest and a waterproof/windproof shell to go over top of the vest. Under the vest, you can layer as you want, from a short-sleeve T to a long-sleeve T to a sweater. The vest will help keep your core warm, but not make you feel so bulky.

My go-to product for the past 5 years has been my Patagonia Down Sweater. A bit of a misnomer - it is a lightweight full-zip jacket. I bought it specifically for a trip to Kenya I took. The evenings get a little cool, plus I was doing a dawn hot air balloon trip. I had a packing size and weight limit for this trip (22" carryon only and 20 lbs), so the Patagonia was a necessity. I've worn that thing now all 4 seasons here at home (I'm in a mountain resort town). But for a Floridian who won't need it all the time at home, I think a vest will do nicely.

Look at The North Face, Patagonia, REI, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Backcountry.com, Sierra Trading Post sites to see what is offered. All kinds of shapes and colors for you to choose from !!!

They still make cotton velour

http://www.naturesfabrics.com/cotton-fabric/cotton-velour.html

Kids loved 4-H better than scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sadie, I think that stuff was closer to $15 a yard when I made a turquoise mini skirt out of it. The red/violet dress was a gift from one of my Grandmothers. The cotton is so far from the synthetic version it should have a different name.

I joined 4-H after I decided Girl Scouts was a rather wimpy group of soon to be tea drinkers. Sorry to all former Scouts but I decided this when I was about 10. And no fugly green dress to wear! Not many places outside of tech schools back then where a kid could learn how to develop film, make all sorts of old world yeast breads and stitch up a baseball jacket that a person was proud to wear to school. Most think 4-H is only raising farm animals but there are many cities with huge numbers of members and all sorts of more modern interests.

Sue

Yes, sorry, velveteen is what I was looking for. Your knowledge is impressive and quite specific - I appreciate that! (I generally meant it was "fuzzy" to the touch and has a nap)

Can't wear any of it these days - too dang hot (I loved it when I lived in New England or Utah ;-)

I've always been far handier with a stove than a sewing machine myself:p

If neccesity is the mother of invention well I was absolutely poverty stricken in the baking and cooking department. :). My Mom couldn't cook at all. My Dad said the cooking gene had jumped a generation as both my grandmothers were good cooks but my Mom didn't know to drain the macaroni the first time she made mac n cheese. She did learn basic sewing that kept us all in PJs and some clothes through grade school but then I figured I had better learn or find a way to enjoy babysitting. I haven't sewn in ages but I am glad I knew how in junior and senior high.

I totally understand the heat in NC. We looked along the coast a few years after we were married with the idea of buying some high land on deep water for a later second home. My DH was a sailboater and while he liked the Albermarle Sound we couldn't find anything vaguely resembling "high land". We did like the little town of Oriental though and they were just starting to develop a "yahct club". Then we went back in July and decided neither of us could handle that heat! I mean a few days in the Fort Bragg area was one thing but the heat on the Sound was just as bad.

Velveteen is another fabric that seems to be only made of synthetics these days and that adds both heat and a vague upholstery look to most of it. It is something rarely seen up here in cold country anymore.

Sue