All Things Avalon

FuelScience

On 4/6/2024 at 7:33 AM, SnowshoeCat said:

Has anyone here taken advantage of the bikes on board? I'm looking forward to riding along the Moselle and welcome any info. Are the bikes okay? I don't expect anything high end (although that would be a nice surprise), but would like to know what to expect.

We didn't ride them, but they looked very decent and well maintained.  One day we did a quick stop at a small pier and off loaded several people and bikes.  We were probably stopped less than five minutes.  They met with somebody on land along with the cruise director got off.  We headed on down the river and we would see them periodically along the levee trails.  They met up with us when we docked for the night, sure seemed like a lot of fun.    

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Team, question for you.

I am shopping around for a Basel-Amsterdam cruise next summer and I had decided on Avalon.  Then they changed their pricing by adding the airfare promotions.  I don't want their airfare, so they are no longer competitive price-wise with Ama, Emerald, etc.  Do they ever price out the cabins without the air promotions?  For instance, the cabin I was looking at was $2899 when I first started looking, but now they are adding "free air" but have raised the price $1000.  I plan on using points for all or some of my family's flights, so this is not needed. (I would also never trust a 3rd party to book international flights for me, but that's another post)

Thanks in advance for your tips.  I have enjoyed reading through this thread, especially when people post pics!  And it has confirmed my interest in Avalon above others.

6 hours ago, ilovesalchows said:

Just a thought have you tried contacting Avalon direct, make sure you have all of your info to hand and basically let them know they are missing out on a customer who if happy this time may become a returning user. It’s worth a try, go for it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Just a thought have you tried contacting Avalon direct, make sure you have all of your info to hand and basically let them know they are missing out on a customer who if happy this time may become a returning user. It’s worth a try, go for it!

That is a good idea.  I also book my own air and the agent gave me a different discount that removed the air option.  Definitely recommend calling Avalon direct.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I read on one of the message forums that they will give you a discount if you don't take the special air package. Since you don't need it, it won't hurt to either ask your TA to check or call yourself.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:20 AM, Daisi said:

I'm pretty sure I read on one of the message forums that they will give you a discount if you don't take the special air package. Since you don't need it, it won't hurt to either ask your TA to check or call yourself.

That's what they did for me.  They actually cancelled the sailing I initially booked to move the ship to another river. When I called to rebook, they gave me a discount because I was booking my own air, plus a rebooking discount and something else.  I was annoyed they cancelled (I'd be sailing right now) but happy with the additional discounts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rebel54 said:

That's what they did for me.  They actually cancelled the sailing I initially booked to move the ship to another river. When I called to rebook, they gave me a discount because I was booking my own air, plus a rebooking discount and something else.  I was annoyed they cancelled (I'd be sailing right now) but happy with the additional discounts.

Yes, Avalon does seem to do their best to make sure that if anything beyond their control happens, passengers are satisfied. Of course, like any line you will get the picky ones that will complain that they should have known the water was to low, high or other reasons, however on the whole, most who have had their travel re-arranged have been happy.

Why did they cancel your cruise Rebel? Did it get taken over by a charter?

22 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Yes, Avalon does seem to do their best to make sure that if anything beyond their control happens, passengers are satisfied. Of course, like any line you will get the picky ones that will complain that they should have known the water was to low, high or other reasons, however on the whole, most who have had their travel re-arranged have been happy.

Why did they cancel your cruise Rebel? Did it get taken over by a charter?

They told me they were moving the boat to a different river...that's all they told me.  I can't even remember the name of the boat I was supposed to be on :(.  Ended up having to move to August because it was the only one that didn't conflict with my daughter's graduation schedule.  We are going to celebrate her graduation and our birthdays 🙂

10 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Oh, so guess maybe a win win for you as you can celebrate better with her now. 😉

For sure.  I am very excited to share this trip with her.  Doing a week in Prague pre cruise and then 3 weeks with Avalon.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

To follow up, I reached out to Avalon and they referred me to a Travel Agent.  To confirm with your experience, it seems I can book it at the reduced rate without airfare.  I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this, we have another Europe trip this summer and I need to get past that one first.  I can't wait, I love the "I just booked a fabulous trip" euphoria.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ilovesalchows said:

To follow up, I reached out to Avalon and they referred me to a Travel Agent.  To confirm with your experience, it seems I can book it at the reduced rate without airfare.  I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this, we have another Europe trip this summer and I need to get past that one first.  I can't wait, I love the "I just booked a fabulous trip" euphoria.

Just a suggestion, keep an eye on the cruise if you really want to go next year. certain times of the year will fill quicker than others. If you are fine waiting another year, and making the decision next year, I wouldn't worry, but if you do want a certain time to fit in your schedule, sometimes booking early is better. 

• Like 1