Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

A huge team of maritime lawyers will sort this out in the next few years. Meanwhile, lawsuits will be filed by both sides as they posture to protect their ass...ets. Additionally, that gangway is toast. Even if the section that fell is replaceable, it will take months to get it fixed as it will have to be built to fit that particular gangway. They don't keep spares of that magnitude just lying around. This will really screw up that cruise port for a while.

Could they make a new one out of parts (the pieces that are "toast").

It could just be an optical thing because of the photos, but the whole thing looked bent, to me.

Not even sure if it is possible, but I know I have seen unused ones.... Probably not sure a port gangway could work in the long run.

Not even sure if it is possible, but I know I have seen unused ones.... Probably not sure a port gangway could work in the long run.

If Carnival wasn't going back to Mobile, they have a nearly new one that they probably would've loved to unload. Looks almost identical to Baltimores, although the configuration may be different depending on location and orientation of the terminals. LOL

I'm thinking RCL isn't too happy right about now either! There's an awful lot of people between the two ships that have to board and debark. It's going to be a huge mess if they don't have the old gangway sitting around somewhere.

I sailed on the Enchantment out of Balto in 2010. At that time, they did not have an elevated gangway...you had to walk across the pier and board via the type of ramp you used in any other port. I sailed the Pride later the same year...they had at that time, a blue canopy covered elevated gangway...RCI did not use Carnival's gangway.:)

The bridge assembly was installed in 2011, at a total cost of $2.9 million. The elevating zig-zag section is not damaged, so I can't see this going more than 50% of the original price. Manufacturer is TEAM in Spain, which is now ADELTE.

The bridge assembly was installed in 2011, at a total cost of $2.9 million. The elevating zig-zag section is not damaged, so I can't see this going more than 50% of the original price. Manufacturer is TEAM in Spain, which is now ADELTE.

Who owns the gangway, the city?

I think that's the same company that made Mobile's back in '09. I know it came from Europe and was nearly $3M. They look nearly identical, although the configuration is probably different. They're all custom made for the terminal that they're installed at.

In any case, if they can make a new section to replace the one that fell, it will be an excruciating wait to get it built and delivered.

Edited by Thorncroft

I think that's the same company that made Mobile's back in '09. I know it came from Europe and was nearly $3M. They look nearly identical, although the configuration is probably different. They're all custom made for the terminal that they're installed at.

I looked at their website, and while each project is custom depending on bridge reach and height, they use about 4 different styles, so there should be some spare parts available.

I looked at their website, and while each project is custom depending on bridge reach and height, they use about 4 different styles, so there should be some spare parts available.

Maybe. They did knock down probably the most universal portion of the bridge. It's the zig zag ramp section that is probably the most custom portion of the whole system.

Even if they just happened to have spare ramp laying around, which seems unlikely to me, it would take at least a month to ship, make repairs and install the new section. I'm sure they've already been burning up the phones at the manufacturer.

Lets keep this in context here. I know what the OP said, but this isn't a CCL/RCI thing. In the past decade, Carnival's reputation for crashing into other ships and/or objects far exceeds that of any other cruise line. Just off the top of my head, these are the incidents I remember -

1. September 2009 - Carnival Legend crashed into the docked Enchantment of the Seas in Cozumel, causing damage to both ships.

2. November 2009 - Carnival Splendor crashed into the docked Radiance of the Seas in Puerto Vallarta, denting ROS's bow.

3. December 2009 - Carnival Splendor crashed into the pier in Puerto Vallarta causing damage to both the ship and pier.

4. January 2010 - Carnival Ecstasy crashed into the Galveston gangway, destroying the gangway and causing minor damage to the ship.

5. January 2010 - Carnival Miracle crashed the dock in St. Kitts causing a 15 ft gash in the side of the ship.

6. July 2011 - Carnival Fantasy crashed into the docked Carnival Imagination in Key West causing cosmetic damage to both ships.

7. May 2016 - Carnival Pride crashes into the Baltimore gangway, destroying the gangway.

That's 7 incidents I can think of in 7 years, including 3 cases of crashing into other ships!!!

There is no candy coating it. Carnival has a bad reputation for collisions. I challenge you to find a collision list half that bad for any other major cruise lines in the past 7 years.

Thanks for posting this. It's always good to show the facts.

I was on that cruise. Saw it after it happened. They did a good job getting the luggage off the ship. The had to drive it all the way around the parking lot due to the platform blocking the normal path. We were off the ship by noon & used the crews brow. Glad no one was hurt. 34582adb5aeabb86d09467e56cac5ffe.jpgf59eef20a056d31f1c02d76de5be8ddd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on that cruise. Saw it after it happened. They did a good job getting the luggage off the ship. The had to drive it all the way around the parking lot due to the platform blocking the normal path. We were off the ship by noon & used the crews brow. Glad no one was hurt. 34582adb5aeabb86d09467e56cac5ffe.jpgf59eef20a056d31f1c02d76de5be8ddd.jpg

The main structure looks straight in those pics, but one of the legs of the trolley looks bent. Aside from that and some broken glass, they may be able to stand it back up and repair it.

I am amazed no one was hurt or killed. The conex boxes look like they were being used as an office. Pics were taken from the lido deck. 31e6630675b0828bc87178ab830702c8.jpgd52114f0e7f0f6eb0262886290705b81.jpg6755713f31217507eb48b36273e65bd0.jpg

Thanks for posting this. It's always good to show the facts.

Seven fender benders out of thousands of cruises over seven years that resulted in a couple minor delays? Ok. Just hope these facts don't hurt Carnival. (We both know the answer to that [emoji6])

I will be getting off Grandeur tomorrow. We received letters warning us about leaving tomorrow and being prepared to handle our luggage on staircases if self disembarking. Yes, it's probably going to suck, buy we're not to worried. The hotel director will be making more announcements later on.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No problem. It's easy considering Carnival is averaging 1 crash a year.

I guess it's a good thing for Carnival that 99% of their passengers don't know this and 99% of the 1% that do know can care less.