Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

Disclaimer: I wasn't there and didn't see it happen.

I do know people who work at the port who did see it happen. They all said that the gangway operator jumped the gun and extended the gangway BEFORE the ship had fully docked and extended it to far (I'm guessing here that he was trying to connect with the ship, thinking the ship was at the dock).

Sounds like it was more a case of the gangway hitting the ship, than the ship hitting the gangway (this part is pure speculation on my part) Ship 1, gangway 0.

No one was injured. That's the best part.

It was a really nice gangway too. We just got off the Pride last Sunday.

Disclaimer: I wasn't there and didn't see it happen.

I do know people who work at the port who did see it happen. They all said that the gangway operator jumped the gun and extended the gangway BEFORE the ship had fully docked and extended it to far (I'm guessing here that he was trying to connect with the ship, thinking the ship was at the dock).

Sounds like it was more a case of the gangway hitting the ship, than the ship hitting the gangway (this part is pure speculation on my part) Ship 1, gangway 0.

No one was injured. That's the best part.

It was a really nice gangway too. We just got off the Pride last Sunday.

If true, and I'm sure it is, it states what I said above. This was not the ship's fault. Otherwise, how the heck could the ship hit the gangway? Did it jump the curb? I don't think so! :cool:

Why? Because you say so? It is reassuring that no people were injured.

Yes. It was already confirmed that there were no injuries. So let's move on.

Okay, I'll make "Mr. Big U" happy:

Oh, the humanity, thank the lord there were no injuries!"

Happy now?

If true, and I'm sure it is, it states what I said above. This was not the ship's fault. Otherwise, how the heck could the ship hit the gangway? Did it jump the curb? I don't think so! :cool:

I'll disagree with you here, lou. The ramp does not extend past the side of the dock, so the ship had to extend over the edge of the dock, which it can if coming into the dock at an angle, rather than parallel, or when moving along the dock. While the ramp may not have been in the proper position, the failure shows the ramp laying on its side, so it was torqued out of position by a moving object. That object was the ship. Just like a moving car striking a parked car, the moving car is "at fault".

If it was the mooring platform that hit the ramp, this could easily protrude over the dock if the bow was close alongside while the ship was at an angle to the pier. Then as the ship moved along the pier, the platform would drag the ramp over.

Apparently it was the forward 'hatch door' that gets lowered during docking and extends out from the front of the ship that hit the gangway. You can see the hatch door in the pic below:

3590492926_8e105e019d_b.jpg

Edited by esdoorn

Even if the ship came in at the "wrong" angle, the logical thing would be to keep the ramp far enough away from the side of the dock until after the ship is secured so that nothing like this can happen. So, the way I see it, either the ramp operator is at fault for not following the rules, or the port is at fault for not having sufficient safety rules. I think it is a miracle that nobody was hurt.

While the ramp operator was operating the equipment improperly, as I've said, the ship was moving and the ramp was not. The Captain should have seen that the ramp was in the wrong position, and adjusted his docking to accommodate it. The ship is at fault, but it will be up to the lawyers to determine how much liability the port has, and how much liability the ship has.

Not a good week for Carnival with the tipping scandal, Liberty's thruster, the demise of Funville and now this unfortunate incident.

Guess I must have been away, other than the thruster, none of these even ring a bell......

While the ramp operator was operating the equipment improperly, as I've said, the ship was moving and the ramp was not. The Captain should have seen that the ramp was in the wrong position, and adjusted his docking to accommodate it. The ship is at fault, but it will be up to the lawyers to determine how much liability the port has, and how much liability the ship has.

Okay, but what if the ramp was not protruding at that moment, but the operator had it in motion towards the ship at that time? Neither the ship nor the operator could stop on a dime when they saw it happening.

Okay, but what if the ramp was not protruding at that moment, but the operator had it in motion towards the ship at that time? Neither the ship nor the operator could stop on a dime when they saw it happening.

Well, lets see, 40-50,000 tons of ship or 5-10 tons of boarding ramp. Which one can stop and reverse direction more quickly? But because of the inability of the ship to stop quickly, it is the Captain's responsibility to think further ahead than the ramp operator. The good Captains treat maneuvering and docking like a chess game, and tend to plan 3 or more "moves" ahead.

Not a good week for Carnival with the tipping scandal, Liberty's thruster, the demise of Funville and now this unfortunate incident.

What tipping scandal ,,,,,, and what do you mean by the demise of funville? I check this carnival forum most days and have no clue what you are talking about. :confused:

What tipping scandal ,,,,,, and what do you mean by the demise of funville? I check this carnival forum most days and have no clue what you are talking about. :confused:

My friend likes to take liberties with a negative slant against Carnival.

Edited by jimbo5544

A disgruntled employee had posted pics of a 28 page list, supposedly of people who had removed tips. It listed names and cabin numbers. No one could really verify if it was really what they claimed it was, but if true, it was a list that JH has repeatedly denied it's existence. Carnival's fire brigade put out the flames pretty quickly and the page was removed, but not before many had made copies of the list. ;)

Funville is Carnival's own forum, much like CC here. It is being shut down after a 10 year run. It had devolved into many cliques and a lot of fighting. Great entertainment. :D

Edited by Thorncroft