The river Moselle infos and river cruising experiences

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Merzig to Metz, yes, sounds more logical to book when you are in Germany. There is also the Saar-Lor-Lux-Ticket, but that is only valid at weekends so I reckon this does not help you? There is also the possibility of splitting into Merzig to Saarbrücken and then Saarbrücken to Metz. There is the slight chance that this is cheaper.

There is the possibility of inquiring at a station and book at a ticket office, but they appear to usually ask for a booking fee of 2 euros.

notamermaid

We are doing this route on a Sunday. The route that works for is is via Trier.

40 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

We are doing this route on a Sunday. The route that works for is is via Trier.

I see. The website gives you routes either via Trier/Luxembourg or via Saarbrücken. Validity map for the Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket: https://assets.static-bahn.de/dam/jcr:2f8310a0-3dbe-48b4-bec8-ab3366640873/203416-273548.pdf

And for immersing yourself completely in the Saar-Lor-Lux-Ticket, looking to be valid on both regional trains via Saarbrücken and via Trier: https://www.cfl.lu/getmedia/61b45648-26b3-4641-8e2b-bbeec29630fe/SAAR-LOR-LUX-TICKET_22_06_01_inet.pdf.aspx

I enjoyed going to Metz on the train. Return journey was on a different route from outward journey so I got a good look at the landscape of the Moselle and surrounding area.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Accident on the Moselle. During the early hours of Tuesday, a river cruise ship crashed into the "MS Goldstück" excursion boat and her landing stage. The ship also hit an embankment wall which partly collapsed. There is major damage and the MS Goldstück cannot sail. The name of the river cruise ship has not been disclosed. I am sorry for the owners of the excursion boat, especially as the tourist season is in full swing.

Photos: https://binnenschifffahrt-online.de/2022/07/haefen-wasserstrassen/26168/fahrgastschiff-kollidiert-mit-stilllieger/

The excursion boat website with the notice: https://www.ms-goldstueck.de/index.php/de/

As of today, they think the next sailing will be on 16 July. This sounds not too bad then, I hope this works out for them.

notamermaid

According to the regional newspaper "Rhein-Zeitung", the MS Switzerland hit the MS Goldstück. Emergency repairs have been done on the excursion boat, but in Winter she will have to go to a shipyard do have a proper repair job done.

So, the Moselle is low as are other major rivers in Europe. Trier is on a statistical low but the locks are still preventing major problems.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, loge23 said:

Arrived in Koblenz today (7/22). Scheduled to sail to Trier tomorrow on the Viking Herja. 

I hope the itinerary goes as planned from here, on the swapped ship, and you can enjoy a beautiful evening in Koblenz.

notamermaid

Thank you, Notamermaid!

Koblenz was indeed as beautiful as remembered. Sailing on the Moselle was just lovely. Arrived in Trier this AM, the end of our river portion. 

Full review forthcoming in the ship review section under our original ship, the Hild.

• Like 2

Trier - such an interesting city (I know I have mentioned this before :classic_wink:) but we can have a look at it again. This time, from a Letzebuergesch angle. The Luxembourg people when they have the weekend off, what day trips could they do? Naturally, Trier being so close it may be a good choice. The town in Germany is one of several suggestions that come from a Luxembourg newspaper. This is the article and I fully admit it contains some details I never knew about Trier: https://www.luxtimes.lu/en/travel/day-trip-trier-62834554de135b923673a320

The sooner I get to Trier the better, remember they have the huge exhibition on the end of the Roman empire this Summer (read a few posts back).

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

While the Moselle is controlled by a lock and dam system and normally carries enough water, the situation is nevertheless not great along this large tributary of the Rhine. The supply chain is a worry as fewer goods are coming onto the Moselle due to the drought on the Rhine and the Moselle is also a bit on the low side. The tributaries to the Moselle are also carrying a lot less water than they should at this time of year. An article from Luxembourg: https://www.luxtimes.lu/en/luxembourg/trade-along-moselle-slows-down-as-rivers-dry-up-62f4b8a9de135b9236517327

The weird bit of problem area is the mouth of the river. At Koblenz is the last lock but the river cruise ships dock past it. While docking may not be the big problem (have not heard any so far) in 2018 the short stretch of water upstream  to the lock coming from Deutsches Eck was too low for some river cruise ships to navigate. This may have been helped with dredging since then, so I am not sure if this could be a problem this year.

notamermaid

I remember a few years ago getting up early to photograph the confluence of the Moselle and Rhine several of us cameras at the ready were completely confused as we had obviously passed the area our Captain came to apologise as he had been advised to leave the Moselle as quickly as possible because the water levels were rising at an alarming rate. We need some of that now.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted about Trier as a day trip from Luxembourg, but where else could you go? Again, this is for the Luxembourg citizens, but if you arrive early, perhaps a day or two before your river cruise, either by train or plane to board your cruise at Remich or nearby, you may be able to get a few tips how to spend your time. Take the train to one or more of these places: https://www.luxtimes.lu/en/travel/day-trips-by-train-602d5fa0de135b923693dc79

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

We have talked previously about the fact that Moselle-only river cruises are few and far between. This early autumn though, on 20 September precisely, Viva Cruises will launch their Koblenz return short trip. Many dates are available but unfortunately this itinerary is only marketed on the German website. Granted, from North America such a short stay is not worthwhile but from the UK and other European countries, a quick hop over the channel to see the beautiful Moselle in autumn colours or go to the wine festivals is a nice idea. Oh well. You can sail with Viva Cruises on a Moselle intensive itinerary, i.e. not sailing vast distances on the Rhine, this autumn. This is the one: https://www.viva-*****/en/cruisedetail?id=322&adults=2

Combining the Moselle with the Saar is possible on a few cruises with European companies. But there are also the bike and barge cruises.

One of them is Cochem to Merzig. @gnome12 how are your plans progressing, have you been able to get a train ticket?

notamermaid

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

One of them is Cochem to Merzig. @gnome12 how are your plans progressing, have you been able to get a train ticket?

The only train tickets that I bought in advance are from Metz to Colmar and Strasbourg to Frankfurt, both on TGVs. I have all the information on individual legs and the information that you provided me about regional tickets, so I know what to ask for to get the best fares on the regional trains. I depart for Frankfurt in 10 days. Do you have any information on the colour change on the Moselle?

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

The only train tickets that I bought in advance are from Metz to Colmar and Strasbourg to Frankfurt, both on TGVs.

I have actually not been on a TGV before, I have crossed into France and been through France on ICE's and regional trains - as well as the Thalys. Would love to compare a TGV to that.

10 days. Hmm, I think that is too early for autumn colours. Thankfully nature is recovering a bit, but whether the trees will do "the proper job" of turning from green into all sorts of shades this year I am not sure. Emergency brown before golden yellow? We will have to wait and see. While I would normally regard this one as a not so interesting webcam from a school in Trier, it is actually good for checking the weather and the trees, click on the second link: https://www.trier.de/leben-in-trier/trier-auf-einen-blick/webcams/

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

We were in Bernkastel mid November, and the yellow leaves on the grape vines was stunning.  No idea how drought impacts that.  I know with our Maples it can impact foliage and what colors we end up with before our Winter colors of white and grey.

1 hour ago, ural guy said:

We were in Bernkastel mid November, and the yellow leaves on the grape vines was stunning. 

This vintner has some e-postcards that look nice: https://www.arnswein.de/2020/11/04/postkartenbilder-im-november/

I enjoyed the November yellow against the dark barren rock. I seems that the vines stay in colour longer than many trees. Tree colours tend to be best second half of October. We have no blood red maples around here normally, our acers tend to be a bit lighter. The range is more yellow to dark orange with the occasional red. Deciduous trees are beech, birch, oak and others. It is quite mixed. End of September the question always is "Will we get a golden October?".

I think this video gives a good impression of what to expect around now till the end of September: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGEsvH-51qY

notamermaid

Accident on the river

A river cruise ship collided with a barge in a narrow spot near Briedern on the Moselle, the barge turned and hit the embankment. This lead to stones on the road causing a car to have an accident. No injuries reported. It happened last night. River traffic had to be halted. I will try and find out if traffic has resumed by now or if the barge is still blocking the navigation channel.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added town location

Update. It is a double-length barge, a so-called Verband. No wonder it is blocking the navigation channel. River traffic is still halted as of now, the plan is to free the barge during this evening. Will try and post when I know that river traffic has resumed. The river cruise ship suffered "no" damage and was able to sail on. I cannot find out which ship it was.

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/trier/schiffsunfall-auf-der-mosel-100.html

notamermaid

A barge with crane has unloaded some of the cargo off the coal barge. Then shortly after that the ship could resume sailing, meaning the stranded barge was able to free itself without the help of another ship or tug boat. The authorities have allowed river traffic to resume.

notamermaid

Eltz Castle. We have talked about this magnificent edifice in the small valley of the Elz river several times. The small stream has a picturesque waterfall that you may want to see if you happen to be in the area. Here is a description. The video does not load properly with me, but you can access the video via youtube directly as well: https://www.europeanwaterfalls.com/waterfalls/elzbach-wasserfall/

Nearest ports are Alken (23min. by car) and Cochem (25min. by car).

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Eltz Castle. We have talked about this magnificent edifice in the small valley of the Elz river several times. The small stream has a picturesque waterfall that you may want to see if you happen to be in the area. Here is a description. The video does not load properly with me, but you can access the video via youtube directly as well: https://www.europeanwaterfalls.com/waterfalls/elzbach-wasserfall/

Nearest ports are Alken (23min. by car) and Cochem (25min. by car).

notamermaid

My current plan is to be there next Sunday. Train and bus from Cochem. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gnome12 said:

My current plan is to be there next Sunday. Train and bus from Cochem. 

Have a good flight and I hope you have a great meet at Frankfurt airport with your sister. Looks as if the weather could be a bit rainy and cool when you arrive in Germany. But I am sure it will be great to see the castles along the Rhine and Moselle nevertheless. This kind of weather adds drama to the hilly landscape.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Saw the River Queen docked in Cochem this morning. Yesterday the Viking Hild. Today new Viking ship, but I didn’t catch the name. A few other river cruise ships I can’t identify. 

Today, despite inclement weather, we are off to Burg Eltz. Looking forward to it. 

Later this afternoon we board our barge Quo Vadis for the barge and cycle part of the trip. We saw her yesterday when she arrived in Cochem, so we know exactly where we need to go to board.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Later this afternoon we board our barge Quo Vadis for the barge and cycle part of the trip. We saw her yesterday when she arrived in Cochem, so we know exactly where we need to go to board.

Hope you have good weather.  I took a quick look at the Quo Vadis, and see nothing but great reviews.  Please let us know how it goes...I borrowed a Viking biked one time and pedaled past a bike/barge excursion.  I thought that looked like such a neat way to travel.

Your home for a bit, and so others can see.

Quo_Vadis_exterior_1.jpg.95cc70dc79dfa2109cc8baf50906605d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1