Bringing DVD player

Can anyone tell me if you can plug an HDMI cord into the tv's on Liberty and use a DVD player? Family traveling together and some of us want to watch movies late at night and thought we could all see the tv.

I've had success using HDMI on several ships now (Brilliance, Navigator) no universal remote necessary. There is a "blank" channel, 3 or something like that that, where it shows up. Played PS3 on those ships. Balcony and junior suite, respectively.

I've had success using HDMI on several ships now (Brilliance, Navigator) no universal remote necessary. There is a "blank" channel, 3 or something like that that, where it shows up. Played PS3 on those ships. Balcony and junior suite, respectively.

Pics or it never happened.

That is great news and thanks. :)

It can be done.

They don't disable inputs, they have remotes without the input selection.

You can find different ways to change input to HDMI selection.

Maybe brings some A/V cables also, just in case.

If you do a search on this site, you can find detailed instructions.

Not speaking for that ship in particular but my general findings on Royal ships have been that if you can access the back of the TV and you find a data port connection, you can use the HDMI port without a universal remote.

1. Turn off the TV.

2. Disconnect the RJ11 (telephone type connector) from the back of the TV.

3. Turn on the TV and use the buttons on the TV to change the input to the HDMI you would like to use. (Note, in room remote will not work and the RCL menus will not be usable with the data cable disconnected.)

To put everything back to working:

1. Turn off the TV.

2. Reconnect the RJ11 cable to the data port.

3. Turn the TV back on and you should be back to the EXTREMELY limited Royal TV.

Carrying a universal remote is always a good thing also but without disconnecting the data port cable you will likely be unable to use it without entering service mode (not recommended).

Definitely not the norm but I have found on a couple of occasions that the TV was setup such that the HDMI ports could be switched to without doing anything special.

Not speaking for that ship in particular but my general findings on Royal ships have been that if you can access the back of the TV and you find a data port connection, you can use the HDMI port without a universal remote.

1. Turn off the TV.

2. Disconnect the RJ11 (telephone type connector) from the back of the TV.

3. Turn on the TV and use the buttons on the TV to change the input to the HDMI you would like to use. (Note, in room remote will not work and the RCL menus will not be usable with the data cable disconnected.)

To put everything back to working:

1. Turn off the TV.

2. Reconnect the RJ11 cable to the data port.

3. Turn the TV back on and you should be back to the EXTREMELY limited Royal TV.

Carrying a universal remote is always a good thing also but without disconnecting the data port cable you will likely be unable to use it without entering service mode (not recommended).

Definitely not the norm but I have found on a couple of occasions that the TV was setup such that the HDMI ports could be switched to without doing anything special.

Thanks - Now, if you can make cabin tech visits for a small fee - I see a way for you to finance your next cruise.

M

Thanks - Now, if you can make cabin tech visits for a small fee - I see a way for you to finance your next cruise.

M

I asked people to email me and received VERY detailed instructions on how to do this.

Email me and I will forward their emails to you.

If anyone is looking for the data port on a TV, here are a couple examples from pictures other posted here on Cruise Critic.

10th picture down is the TV from the side. The data connector is the grey cord that looks like a phone line.

Both the third and forth images down show TV data ports which are both clearly labeled "DATA"

Note, the second link is from a Celebrity thread but the idea of the location of this port doesn't change for this discussion. These are all images from Samsung TVs which are definitely the same brand as the vast majority of TVs on Royal ships. I have seen a very small number of LG TVs but those were in common areas.

Edited by jtsongas