Europe

We have only been on a couple of cruises and managed to do our own excursions, was just wondering if we can manage to do the same visiting Europe, we are visiting Cannes, ..Pisa, Rome, Santorini, Athens, Kusadasi and Valletta. We would like to see some of the sights but are happier to wander around doing our own thing and not travel for hours whilst on shore, enjoy a spot of lunch then probably head back on board. Any hints or tips much appreciated.

We would like to see some of the sights but are happier to wander around doing our own thing and not travel for hours whilst on shore, enjoy a spot of lunch then probably head back on board. Any hints or tips much appreciated.

Yes, my advice would be to research the Europe Ports of Call boards here, one for each of the countries you are visiting. There are already a lot of threads running so you can read them, make your notes, research the suggestions, look up websites, check into private tours, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 <--click here, Ports of Call

Rick Steves has a great travel book for cruisers with info on DIY for most ports of call. If you also visit the ports of call board for those you are visiting there's heaps of info.

That's out general idea, but one place we docked at was very industrial and we're lucky to be able to board the coach into town. Don't want to be caught out again

Hi Dizzy.

This looks like a lovely itinerary. The chances are that you'll be docking some distance from the following cities : Pisa, Rome and Athens. I'm not sure what shuttle buses your cruise ship will offer. I'd check that out. If they drop you off in the centre you'll be fine just wandering. I recommend the Plaka district in Athens, although last time I docked in Pireus (as I expect you will) I just walked to the Zeus port, had a beer in the sunshine and then travelled on to the next fishing village (I'm trying to remember the name...something Limone!) by a local bus and had a fabulous lunch in a little taverna right on the sea front.

In Kusdasi you can spend the day in the port...the town is easy walking distance and there's plenty of shops/stalls and restaurants actually at the port. Last time I did an early morning half day organised trip to Ephesus (superb..make sure your trip includes the terraced houses, if you go) then spent lunchtime and the afternoon in the port. Unless you are desperate for a Turkish rug I'd avoid the last bit of each tour where you go to the local department store. They do a pretty hard sell.

Valletta is charming. Well worth getting up early for the sail in. We got a hop on hop off bus that took us to Mdina..so we spent lunchtime there and the rest of the day in Valetta

That's out general idea, but one place we docked at was very industrial and we're lucky to be able to board the coach into town. Don't want to be caught out again

Hi Dizzy.

This looks like a lovely itinerary. The chances are that you'll be docking some distance from the following cities : Pisa, Rome and Athens. I'm not sure what shuttle buses your cruise ship will offer. I'd check that out. If they drop you off in the centre you'll be fine just wandering. I recommend the Plaka district in Athens, although last time I docked in Pireus (as I expect you will) I just walked to the Zeus port, had a beer in the sunshine and then travelled on to the next fishing village (I'm trying to remember the name...something Limone!) by a local bus and had a fabulous lunch in a little taverna right on the sea front.

In Kusdasi you can spend the day in the port...the town is easy walking distance and there's plenty of shops/stalls and restaurants actually at the port. Last time I did an early morning half day organised trip to Ephesus (superb..make sure your trip includes the terraced houses, if you go) then spent lunchtime and the afternoon in the port. Unless you are desperate for a Turkish rug I'd avoid the last bit of each tour where you go to the local department store. They do a pretty hard sell.

Valletta is charming. Well worth getting up early for the sail in. We got a hop on hop off bus that took us to Mdina..so we spent lunchtime there and the rest of the day in Valetta

We have only been on a couple of cruises and managed to do our own excursions, was just wondering if we can manage to do the same visiting Europe, we are visiting Cannes, ..Pisa, Rome, Santorini, Athens, Kusadasi and Valletta. We would like to see some of the sights but are happier to wander around doing our own thing and not travel for hours whilst on shore, enjoy a spot of lunch then probably head back on board. Any hints or tips much appreciated.

IMO, Rome (Civitavecchia port) should always be at the start/end of a cruise to permit a multi-day visit - essential to even begin to appreciate the "eternal city." Note that recently much enhanced security at a variety of sites (e.g.., Colosseum) assures very long lines for folks not in tour groups. The Vatican Museum (if you do anything in Rome do this) is also best done with a licensed guide and tix should be purchased as soon as the website allows (I seem to remember 2 months ahead).

Why Pisa? I'd opt for Florence and the combo of the Academia and the Uffizzi.

Check with your cruise line about possible itinerary charges regarding Turkey. Due to safety concerns, many lines have eliminated Turkish ports for 2016 (and even beyond).

We just returned from a long Med cruise where we stopped at 32 ports of 8 countries. As has been our usual practice for nearly forty years of extensive travel, we did not take a single tour. And the amazing thing is we survived :). In fact, we had a great time, did what we pleased, when we pleased, with whom we pleased while saving thousands of dollars by not booking overpriced excursions. We used a combination of our feet (walking), local buses, rental cars, and trains in those ports.

The key to independent travel (in too short port days) is to do your pre trip homework! You need to know your options, and in most cases you can keep your flexibility until you are actually in the port, assess the weather, see how you feel that day, etc. As to options, we suggest reviewing the various excursions offered (to get an idea of the options), read the Ports of Call boards here on CC, use the internet to pull up info about each port, etc. You might also want to get a copy of the appropriate Rick Steve(s) books that apply to your particular destinations or even his Mediterranean Cruise book.

Once you have done those basic steps, post any specific questions on the CC Ports of Call Boards. If you prefer to join a small group tour in a particular port, get active on your specific CC Roll Call Board where you can try to join with others for a private tour.

Hank

There were five of us and it was our first trip to Europe. We booked with private guides, worked out what we wanted to do with their advice and I couldn't have been more pleased. It was the trip of a lifetime and the guides we used in each country turned out to be FABULOUS. We used reputable companies, recommended here and on TripAdviser and we were never disappointed...plus we were able to see what interested us and build in time for that wine and people watching as well. They picked us up at each port (they were waiting on us to exit the ship) and we were off well ahead of the massive buses.

Having been to all of those ports at one time or another, the only port I would suggest the ships tour rather than an "on your own" is going to Ephesus, from Kusadasi. It a little bit of a distance, and should there be a mechanical breakdown you wouldn't want to get stranded.

Hi Dizzy,

If your previous cruises have been to places like the Caribbean, be aware that the situation in Europe is very different.

Just like in the UK, if you simply get off the ship & look for a taxi tour it'll cost you an arm & a leg, and although most drivers have enough English to get you from A to B you'll not get a guided tour like you would in the Caribbean.

But with a chunk of research (& these forums are a great place to start) you can do your own thing using local public transport - trains, buses, ferries, trams, ho-hos (but even though I'm a great fan of ho-hos, IMHO none on your itinerary are worthwhile) - and just mebbe the very occasional short taxi hop from one sight to another.

Yes, a great itinerary, but you'll need transport at most ports............

Cannes. If you want to get out of the town the coastal train will whisk you to places like Monte Carlo or Nice.

Pisa. If your captain ports there he's in serious trouble - it's 20 minutes inland. :D

If from Livorno, taxi (share with others) to the train station for frequent trains to Pisa. Then a 20 minute walk to the Field of Dreams.

Or spread your wings & take the train to Florence.

If from La Spieza, you need advice from those who've ported there.

Rome is over an hour from the port. Especially if you take the train (thousands do) you need to research thoroughly & choose your priorities - Rome is well worth several days you have a short time in this city.

Santorini is beautiful - but a bit of a bind disembarking & re-boarding. It's a tender port (very efficiently operated by local boats) to a jetty at the foot of the cliff - you have to make your way up (and down) by cablecar or donkey or a seriously strenuous walk, or a little local boat which takes you to Oia, a couple of miles along the coast, where the road comes down to the sea. Queues, especially returning on the cablecar , can be very long.

Athens. You port at Piraeus. Various options to get to Athens - X80 bus, metro, ho-ho, taxi, ships' (payable) transfers.

Kusadasi. A rather ordinary town - most folk head for Ephesus. No suitable public transport, you can negotiate with taxi drivers or pre-book a tour either thro the cruise line or with one of the recommended local tour operators.

Valetta. Years since I've been. You can just walk off the ship & explore the town or take a trip to places like Mdina (easy) or the Blue Grotto (if the weather's good & the sea calm) or across to the little island of Gozo (organise that in advance).

And stax more options than those I've quoted.

Appreciated you don't want to spend a lot of time travelling, but Livorno, Civitavecchia, Kusadasi & Piraeus have little of interest,

To repeat, don't just get off the ship & play it by ear. Works well in the Caribbean, doesn't work well in Europe.

Research, research, research.

And check your ship's RollCall for tour-shares etc. If you don't know how to find it, post your ship & sailing date and some kind soul will provide a link.

JB :)

Did visit all of the ports mentioned, did tour in Kusadasi once, otherwise on our own.

Thanks everyone for really helpful tips, John Bull your reply made us laugh about Pisa, yes we are docking in Le Spezia lol. We shall buck our ideas up and do plenty of research. I don't think I can cope with train journey into Rome so shall leave the city itself for a longer break than a day. We are going the middle of July and although I love hot weather will have to be selective on visits as I know temperature will be high.

I don't think I can cope with train journey into Rome so shall leave the city itself for a longer break than a day.

I can't think of any more-local alternatives for Civitavecchia, but mebbe others can.

Yes, what amounts to little more than half a day in the Eternal City can only scratch the surface, and July is a bit hot to be rushing around.

Rome is relatively cheap & easy from the UK, well worth a 3 to 4 day break some other time. :)

JB :)

Thanks everyone for really helpful tips, John Bull your reply made us laugh about Pisa, yes we are docking in Le Spezia lol. We shall buck our ideas up and do plenty of research. I don't think I can cope with train journey into Rome so shall leave the city itself for a longer break than a day. We are going the middle of July and although I love hot weather will have to be selective on visits as I know temperature will be high.

Since you will be docking in La Spezia you have a really good option for a close day trip by train or ferry.

https://www.incinqueterre.com/en/cinque-terre-in-one-day

Good Ferry/train info in this website:

http://www.apathtolunch.com/

Dizzy

If you're going to La Spezia I really would not trouble to go to Pisa unless you have a burning desire to see a tower lean. Las Spezia itself is a pleasant town with broad palm tree lined streets, and easily booked boat trips taking you out around the harbour. Sitting watching the world go by is relatively inexpensive compared with many places in Italy with prosecco often coming accompanied by free ciccetti (snacks).

As another person commented you can book tickets for the cinque terre from the local train station altho' I believe this year there are efforts to restrict numbers due to erosion from foot traffic. It can get exceptionally busy and jostling pedestrians that can take a bit of the shine off its beauty.

It isn't difficult to get to Portofino, a small but perfectly formed coastal town where even the trees are beautiful frequented by film stars.

Writing all that makes me want to book a trip right now!

Yes, the Europe board has good info. I'll just add, we did a private tour in Rome, which got us to skip some long lines, and the driver knows all the shortcuts, real time savers. In one day, I can't imagine seeing as much had we gone the DIY route. Just something to consider if quantity is a priority.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't think I can cope with train journey into Rome so shall leave the city itself for a longer break than a day. We are going the middle of July and although I love hot weather will have to be selective on visits as I know temperature will be high.

First off, the train ride to/from Rome is no big deal - it's relatively uncrowded and only 90 minutes each way from Civitavecchia.

But if you don't want to do that, either rent a car (there is a Hertz car rental near the port - but you will need an advance reservation) or hire a driver to take you to Bomarzo (Grove of Monsters), Villa Lante (most complete Renaissance garden) and Villa Farnese (the building the Pentagon is based on). On the way you will pass by the ruins of the Roman Aqueducts. It's a beautiful drive and these areas are really fascinating.

Another great place to go is Lake Bracciano.

http://www.italia.it/en/travel-ideas/lakes/lake-bracciano.html

Many tourists make the mistake of not getting out and seeing the areas around Rome which are absolutely amazing and uncrowded.

Dizzy

As another person commented you can book tickets for the cinque terre from the local train station altho' I believe this year there are efforts to restrict numbers due to erosion from foot traffic. It can get exceptionally busy and jostling pedestrians that can take a bit of the shine off its beauty.

It isn't difficult to get to Portofino, a small but perfectly formed coastal town where even the trees are beautiful frequented by film stars.

Writing all that makes me want to book a trip right now!

According to both the experts on the TripAdvisor board and this Path to Lunch link the press rushed it's story about the restrictions:

http://www.apathtolunch.com/2016/03/cinque-terre-16-tips-for-avoiding-crowds.html

It also appears there will be more tourist trains through the summer. It will be crowded. But, there does appear to be ways to work around the crowds...start with the less popular villages, use the ferry, etc.

I didn't read the whole thread so I do not know if this was suggested.

We downloaded Rick Steve's tours on our phones, which were free three years ago (not sure if they are still free). It tells you where to begin in your chosen attraction and then step by step until you the end of your tour, as its giving you information about what you see in front of you (ceilings, statue, paintings, etc). We only used two phones with headphones that split in two so two people could listen at the same time. I thought it was a great and inexpensive option. We did this in the Vatican, Florence, Several attractions in Rome, and Greece.