Navigator Northwest Passage

hrprof

Regent is smart; I am sure they will make it through although it would be a poor bet to just assume climate change always means warmer instead of colder. I just think that they should have left all the interim ports off the schedule; especially Gjoa Haven. I was so looking forward to going there that I was very disappointed when we missed it; would have been better to have never "promised" in the itinerary. I think the worst (best in my wife's opinion) that will happen is skipping Gjoa Haven and the Greenland ports. In fact, when Regent first posted itinerary they didn't list any ports for most of the itinerary; I thought that smart.

Plenty of time to make it through even if you spend three days in ice like we did.

Marc

Edited by Marq

Here is the 3 August report:

20160803180000_WIS38CT_0008994535.pdf

Notice Area "D" blocking the southern entrance to Peel Sound; it is also blocking the entrance to Bellot Straight. That is 7/10 ice that I don't think Navigator could handle on its own (maybe but it would beat up the ship and take a while). Again, will be long gone by time Serenity heads through.

BTW, I checked again on Simpson Straight. Navigator's draft is 7.3m which, coincidentally, is depth at shallowest portion of Simpson Straight; so, Navigator would have to take long way to Gjoa Haven.

If ice conditions were identical twelve months from now, Navigator would still make it through (maybe even without assistance) but definitely not on the schedule Regent has posted.

Marc

Three days later and still ice:

20160806180000_WIS38CT_0008999753.pdf

Trip is waitlisted in all categories so it looks like Regent is modifying the itinerary. I think it would be sufficient to just remove all the ports in between Cambridge Bay and Nuuk to give them more flexibility either to spend time getting through ice or adding back in those Greenlandic ports.

Marc

I am really trying to be respectful here but am wondering why all of this information about a specific cruise isn't on Roll Call. While it is interesting (to a point), it does not affect Regent passengers that are not on this cruise (nor are they planning on it in the future).

Can anyone answer this question?

I am really trying to be respectful here but am wondering why all of this information about a specific cruise isn't on Roll Call. While it is interesting (to a point), it does not affect Regent passengers that are not on this cruise (nor are they planning on it in the future).

Which ToR am I violating?

I for one am learning a great deal from this thread and truly appreciate the effort being taken to keep us informed. Since this itinerary is on my bucket list, I (and I know quite a few others) who are following this very closely and will continue to do so.

Marq - thank you for your input and expertise!

gnomie :)

(Warning--long post)

For those considering a Northwest Passage cruise, I have a few observations. Last year in September I took a cruise from Resolute Canada to Greenland on a small expedition ship (about 110 passengers). Overall it was great to wonderful.

I had wanted to do a Northwest Passage cruise but after this cruise I think I would pass on the Northwest passage in favor of other spots in the world. I really do not know what the terrain is like between Resolute Canada and Alaska along the Northwest passage, but in the area of Resolute and far northeastern Canada there isn’t much to see except rocks and islands and maybe lichen covered land. I’m guessing much of the Northwest passage is like this. That is not to say that the terrain isn’t beautiful, but I suspect it could be a lot of the same thing.

We saw some fabulous fjords on the Canadian coast before heading off to Greenland. The Canada-Greenland leg of the trip was a treat because we went through ice fields with ice floes right next to the ship and ice bergs very nearby. It was awesome.

But here are some caveats especially for what I think the Northwest Passage portion may hold.

The weather may be cold and windy. I would say that 75% of the time it was simply too cold or windy to be comfortable having lunch outside and even then parkas kept us warm. We did not have rain or snow so that wasn’t a factor. Resolute is still on my IPhone weather app and I see that it is at or close to freezing most of this summer at nighttime.

There was no internet for most of the cruise allegedly because of our location. So there was no (and I do mean NO) contact with the outside world for a few days.

Medical evacuation would have likely been impossible in any timely way during part of the trip. (Getting to Resolute via a charter flight was extremely iffy due to weather changes by the hour.)

Our ship had Zodiacs that took us out into fjords and among the icebergs. We saw nature close up. But without the Zodiacs I can’t quite imagine what one can do except stand on deck and look out—not that the view isn’t great, but it isn’t like being surrounded by icebergs and ice floes as you look up from the ocean. Also we were able to go on land and explore some fjords and historical sites that simply would not be possible to do without the Zodiac.

Our ship was accompanied by some excellent naturalists and guides. Lectures were great and they were with us on all the Zodiac excursions.

I have been on the Navigator several times. These are some things I would want to know before booking:

What are the specific excursions? Are they available to all or what are the numerical limits to signing up?

What is the situation with medical evacuation? What portion of the trip is likely to experience problems getting people off the ship?

What will be the limitations on excursions for passengers with physical infirmities?

What is anticipated for internet connectivity (if this is important to you)? ( I wouldn’t necessarily trust what Regent says on this anyway, because of past problems I’ve had.)

I would look carefully at what the weather can be like during the period of the cruise. If we had rain or snow it would have been miserable outside.

My first choice would be to opt for a smaller expedition ship to come much closer to experiencing the wonders that nature offers in this awesome but desolate world.

I think this cruise belongs front and center on this board as it is on the Crystal board. Both cruises are quite unique and have never been attempted by two large ships. You might also wasn't to follow the NWP cruise on the Crystal board. This thread is. To a roll call it is about a cruise that has never been attempted.

Sure:

Usually roll calls are for people who are booked for a specific cruise to meet and discuss mutual interests like arranging private tours, who is on staff, what meds to take etc.

Marq is not booked for this cruise and is giving general information about an area of travel based on his past experience that might be useful to those looking at traveling to this part of the world.

Why would you think that Regent is never going to do this voyage again? They didn't do a world cruise for years and then started back. The Northwest Passage might well be a new "Classic" voyage.

J

Regent 37/563 +3/50 booked

Some follow up info. Seeing that this Northwest Passage and the subsequent voyage from Montreal to Reykjavik seeming filled up and sold out literately overnight and based on Marq prior report on ice conditions affecting the possible passage coupled with the lack of any information regarding the logistically support for the ship during this voyage, I became concerned that Regent was having a possible change of heart and possibly rethinking the whole trip.

I called Regent today and expressed my concerns. The Agent I spoke with seem knowledgeable of these two voyages. He said that there had been tremendous interest by many past guest and both had sold out in the last few days.

As far as the logistics; he was aware of the questions I asked and knows that there have bee internal discussions. Regent would be releasing their full details in the future, no date given.

I started a Roll Call for this voyage back in April, but it seems there are 2 CC members signed up. Grand Northwest Passage Roll call Link

j

Edited by JMARINER
additional text

Some follow up info. Seeing that this Northwest Passage and the subsequent voyage from Montreal to Reykjavik seeming filled up and sold out literately overnight and based on Marq prior report on ice conditions affecting the possible passage coupled with the lack of any information regarding the logistically support for the ship during this voyage, I became concerned that Regent was having a possible change of heart and possibly rethinking the whole trip.

I called Regent today and expressed my concerns. The Agent I spoke with seem knowledgeable of these two voyages. He said that there had been tremendous interest by many past guest and both had sold out in the last few days.

j

I have been following this cruise very closely because it is very high on my bucket list and also find it quite unusual that it went from quite a bit of availability to sold out within two days - same holds true for the following cruise.

I am closely following the Crystal cruise and it will be interesting to see what happens.

gnomie :)

My T/Agent told me today the the NAV Northwest passage cruise is still available for booking, IF you book the prior segment starting in Miami as a 62 day voyage. She thinks that just the 30 night NWP voyage now shown as closed will open up in a month or two if they can't sell the 62 day version.

j

My T/Agent told me today the the NAV Northwest passage cruise is still available for booking, IF you book the prior segment starting in Miami as a 62 day voyage. She thinks that just the 30 night NWP voyage now shown as closed will open up in a month or two if they can't sell the 62 day version.

j

Oh how I wish i was retired; I would book the 122 night Miami to New York in a heartbeat; and then book a New York to Miami cruise to complete the North American circumnavigation.

Marc

My TA just advised that she received a memo from Regent saying that this cruise is not happening as planned. It "might" be postponed a month, or might not go at all. I now have a FCC to book something else.

More to follow......

Believe it or not I heard this yesterday.

Keith

Amazing - you must have a great TA! I'm a bit surprised by this given the size and original design of the Navigator. Perhaps it no longer does well in icy seas now that there have been so many changes in an attempt to correct the aft vibration. The "ducktail" may not do well with ice. Just a guess.

Is there some official notification from Regent to guests booked on the cruise? or info just from the travel agent at this point? Sounds vague which is why I'm wondering what is going on?

My TA got a letter from Regent. Plus, the itineraries have been removed from Regent's web site from July 9 (Vancouver) thru August 18, 2017 (Montreal).

Regent will probably need to get the ship to Montreal to continue other itineraries. That would suggest another Panama crossing.

Amazing - you must have a great TA! I'm a bit surprised by this given the size and original design of the Navigator. Perhaps it no longer does well in icy seas now that there have been so many changes in an attempt to correct the aft vibration. The "ducktail" may not do well with ice. Just a guess.

Yes, Keith as an excellent TA which is mine as well and they are on top of things so fast. They are top sellers of Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea.

The problem with the itinerary was the it was too early in the season and there would have been safety issues. I am sure it is disappointing to those booked but I think it was a wise decision by Regent to cancel it.

TravelCat2 I heard it from someone who is not a Travel Agent.

Keith

Way too early!!! I would like to think that they listened to us here on CC. :D

TC, the ship is much better in ice than Crystal Serenity; no problem with making the cruise; just a few weeks too early. Of course, I have no idea where they would have stored the zodiacs so maybe they were not prepared at all.

Marc