Musical chairs....

Danno

My wife and I are at odds about this, each cruise...I like to sit in a different seat each night...she says people want to keep the same seats night after night. The wait staff don't seem to have any problem with it, or they haven't indicated such...

Do you expect, prefer even, the same seat each night...I like to move around and get to know people....am I a bad person ;) ??

We like to move. But sometimes the people we are seated with look at us like we are crazy.

On HAL we had a banquette table for eight. We came first the first night and sat on the comfy seat facing the dining room.

Next night we moved so that another couple could sit there. And so on and so on throught the cruise.

Other times we try to move just so we can talk to someone else for a change.

So, no. You are not a bad person.

celtic

It depends on the size table and the view. On our last cruise we sat on the inside and there were only 6 of us, so we kept our seats. If we sit at a bigger table, or on a window, we like to rotate around so we can get a chance to talk to our tablemates and also so everyone gets a chance to see the view. We prefer a table for 10-12 so we can meet and mingle more with our fellow passengers.

Garry

My wife and I are at odds about this, each cruise...I like to sit in a different seat each night...she says people want to keep the same seats night after night. The wait staff don't seem to have any problem with it, or they haven't indicated such...

Do you expect, prefer even, the same seat each night...I like to move around and get to know people....am I a bad person ;) ??

Wife likes to stay in one place.

I like to move around.

We like to move. But sometimes the people we are seated with look at us like we are crazy.

I've noticed that a few times also....after the first shock, these people seem to be fine with it.

I would much rather change seats everynight. We have done it that way on all the cruises I have taken. Then, if your view is particularly boring, it will change the next day. Also, you got to sit next to a different person all the time and we really got to know one another. Changing seats is the ONLY way to go. IMHO. Mary

Change seats each night, by all means. It doesn't mean you don't talk to the folks across the table, but if the dining room happens to be just a bit noisy, you can still have a pleasant conversation with the person next to you, and with a different companion nightly, your conversations will veer off in so many intereating directions. BTW, my wife agrees.

By the 2nd or 3rd night, you already know the basics about your table mates, so it becomes time to explore.

We too like to change seats each night for a different view of the surroundings and a chance to get to chat with everyone. We have always had a table of 8 or 10. The swapping was especially good for the 10 top as that was rectangular rather than round. Never had an issue with our tablemates not wanting to do it or the waiters who soon knew who was who.:)

Phil

One cruise on Galaxy my wife managed to be seated beside a very nice, elderly lady...the lady told Jill the same long, involved, story every night. Her husband was very apologetic, but with Jill's father experiencing the same challenges...

We have only experienced a table of 6, so we have remained in the same seats as it was easy to converse with everyone. I wouldn't mind moving seats but would want to remain seated next to my boyfriend in case there wasn't a 'connection' with the person seated next to me, I would still have someone to talk to.

our last cruise on Summit we were seated right by the staircase. The beautiful picture widow was not too far away. The first night we sat facing the picture window every night after that our table mates were there earlier than us and took the seats facing the window. Since they were first time cruisers we didn't say anything and just let it go, if they had been veteran cruisers tho we probably would have asked them to switch off each night....after all this was an Alaskan cruise and the scenery was awesome!

I'm a gazer.. I love to stare at the waves as we cruise. However I give others an opportunity to sit opposite the window as we switch one seat to the right. Some people don't like the sight of movement and want to stay with their backs to the window. On some cruises we have to move around when we have heard the same stories and give others the chance to converse with fellow guests at the table.

We prefer a round table for six, and if the other four agree, we like to switch seats every night.

We think it helps us to get to know the others better, and does make for perhaps more interesting coversations.

Danno, some might say that these questions are unrelated! (there was supposed to be a wink here!)

But, I'm a 'switcher.' (is THAT what they're calling it these days...:eek: ) We actually bring it up casually the first night, in a teasing way- something like: "o.k., I get to chat with Ed all the time, so tomorrow I want to sit next to (pick person from the table). You seem like a lot of fun!" This flattery generally gets the converstation started, and people comfortable with the idea of changing seats. We also sometimes arrive at the table the second night, and 'chat' about "where we should sit tonight, as we got the good seats/view last night..." Folks seem to get the democracy of it right away. And I truly like chatting with everyone at the table. That said, I have approached tables in the past, where some obviously wanted the same seats every night, and wouldn't consider not dining next to their mate. It's fine, just not my preference. (I wouldn't ever force changing seats/dinner companions on someone, but I might tease them about it!:D )

Andrew

Good or bad, Danno, it's a big part of my job, so I guess a cruise is like a busman's holiday for me! Probably also why, in my blue blazer, I often get mistaken for staff!:D But don't call me Julie!:mad:

Andrew

There are so many things I could do with a set up line like this...restraint Dan, restraint ;) .

I only meant "schmoozer" as a compliment...I expect you are the Prince of Schmooz in the Bay area.

No, Danno, I'm not in sales, but honed my skills in politics (some would say that's selling the public a load of goods) but it comes in handy in the real estate development world!

Can't imagine WHERE else you might be going with that, so I thought I'd try to remove temptation a bit.:D Or was it the 'Julie' bit?

No offence taken, it's a skill that needs to be developed like any other- us shy guys sometimes make the best ones.:) (I am TOO shy!)

Andrew

Definitely musical chairs:D shmoozing is good;)

We had fantastic table......but then again we hooked up through our

Roll Call....but we still switched around alot.

We had more gals than guys and it was nice sitting between the men:D

Andrew.....I know you are thinking of something to say.......go ahead:)

Danno and Andrew, you are killing me tonight. You two get going on every thread and you have my sides aching from laughter.

Yes, I can vouch for Andrew - even I switched with him. Does that make me a switcher too!!!!:eek:

It really is more fun moving around and getting to know the others. This is especially useful when it's a larger table of 8 or more.

LOIS! Are you implying that I would use this opportunity to say anything untoward????:mad:

Of course I would!:D

We had more gals than guys and it was nice sitting between the men
Took the words right out of my mouth! (:eek: )

"Bad Andrew, go to your room!"

:o o.k.

Night all, Andrew

Absolutely switch seats every night. On a Christmas cruise one year our family of 4 was seated at a large table with a family of 8. Apparently the other family had enough togetherness early in the cruise, because every night when we arrived at the table, one of them would ask if they could sit next to one of us because they'd had all they could take of Uncle Joe or Aunt Sue. We never minded sitting next to Cousin Mary or Grandpa Bob or whoever because they each told different secrets about the rest of their family. By the end of the cruise, we could have written a book!

On our last cruise, we were at a table for eight. Two couples were traveling together from Canada and there was a British couple from Florida. We switched seats all the time.

When we've been on cruises where the other couples seemed to have staked out seats and not want to switch, we'd switch between the two of us so that we would not be beside the same person each night.

Archived