Luggage Didn't Make It

ano

If you haven't heard, today Sky Harbor airport had a major problem screening luggage. I took my wife to the airport for a 5:30am flight. Her luggage made it but many didn't Sometime during the day ALL luggage screening stopped and 3000+ bags were placed in the parking lot of the airport. As far as I heard, its still not working. Southwest is trucking luggage to LA and Las Vegas to screen and ship. Other airlines are going to attempt to hand screen every piece of luggage.

Carnival had at least 4 ships sail out today and its likely some of these people do not have their luggage today. They say it may take DAYS to arrive where it should. So, you MAY want to put some clothes in your carry-on.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-breaking/2016/05/12/tsa-checked-bag-system-glitch-snarls-travel-sky-harbor/84294640/

Edited by ano
Add link.

I'd be thankful for the onboard boutiques. I'd buy enough to get me through the cruise, charge it to my CC and get reimbursed for it. TI does pay for lost luggage.

Edited by elliair

I forgot to pack all my pants for a 7 day cruise. I had to wear the one pair of jeans I had the whole trip. The price of pants on the ship were too high. Wife and I still laugh about that.

EXACTLY why I always take 1 carry on at least that will hold a couple outfits each for hubby and I and extra undies and swimsuit also dress outfit and shoes. Basically enough to get by if need to. Been traveling so long now I have to sit back and laugh when I see people getting on board with these two Giant suitecases. I can pack everything in 2 carry on and 2 Shoulder bags for 7 day cruise for hubby and I. This is all our clothes, shoes, dress clothes, bathing suits and everythig else (cameras, hats, tolietries, snacks, liquids bags, even our own masks and snorkles). And our carry on roller bags are TRUE carry on size, actually a couple inches under aloted size.

I packed for 4 days once for both of us to go to New Orleans in 2 Shoulder bags to avoid baggage fees on a discount airline lol!

Edited by wemjam

I forgot to pack all my pants for a 7 day cruise. I had to wear the one pair of jeans I had the whole trip. The price of pants on the ship were too high. Wife and I still laugh about that.

Too funny! It seems every cruise sends us home with a story to tell! I'll bet you will never forget your pants again! Lol.

If you haven't heard, today Sky Harbor airport had a major problem screening luggage. I took my wife to the airport for a 5:30am flight. Her luggage made it but many didn't Sometime during the day ALL luggage screening stopped and 3000+ bags were placed in the parking lot of the airport. As far as I heard, its still not working. Southwest is trucking luggage to LA and Las Vegas to screen and ship. Other airlines are going to attempt to hand screen every piece of luggage.

Carnival had at least 4 ships sail out today and its likely some of these people do not have their luggage today. They say it may take DAYS to arrive where it should. So, you MAY want to put some clothes in your carry-on.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-breaking/2016/05/12/tsa-checked-bag-system-glitch-snarls-travel-sky-harbor/84294640/

I sure feel sorry for those affected by this. This is not how you want to start your vacation for sure.

You're lucky. Friend did that on our annual group cruise. His zipper broke, luckily, a few hours before muster. He was able to buy a new pair nearby.

Always pack another outfit in carryon.

Edited by SadieN

You're lucky. Friend did that on our annual group cruise. His zipper broke, luckily, a few hours before muster. He was able to buy a new pair nearby.

Always pack another outfit in carryon.

Have forgotten to take shoes on a cruise or two so wore sneakers entire time but one pair of pants that has a broken zipper would present difficulties for sure.

Happened to us on a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. I had a few extra things in my carrying, but my DH did not. Ships boutiques do not carry 'everything'. Luckily we found a KMart on St. Thomas for some necessary items and had fun shopping elsewhere for some beachwear. Luggage still didn't arrive that day.... Or the next .... Sea day....

When we explained the situation and asked for a 'carry out' on formal night, they graciously said to dine in our very, very casual clothing in the dining room. Luggage arrived day 4!

Travel insurance paid for it all! It was not going to ruin our vacation and gave us lots of memories!

Have forgotten to take shoes on a cruise or two so wore sneakers entire time but one pair of pants that has a broken zipper would present difficulties for sure.

Yet another reason to bring duct tape.:rolleyes:

Exactly why we always go in a day or two early. We were once on an Alaska cruise with some friends whose luggage didn't make it to Vancouver until the next day. Luckily we spent a couple of nights pre-cruise in Vancouver. Had we not and sailed without their luggage it would have been two days at sea before it might have caught up with us.

Heck, I am so tight about going early I am even considering pre-cruise overnight in San Francisco, pre-Panama, even though we only live 80 miles away from the port. Just kidding!

I have done the exact same thing.....

Airlines will give you money too, even without insurance.

I always back as much as I can in carry on and the rest in checked luggage. Thankfully never lost mine, but you never know

EXACTLY why I always take 1 carry on at least that will hold a couple outfits each for hubby and I and extra undies and swimsuit also dress outfit and shoes. Basically enough to get by if need to. Been traveling so long now I have to sit back and laugh when I see people getting on board with these two Giant suitecases. I can pack everything in 2 carry on and 2 Shoulder bags for 7 day cruise for hubby and I. This is all our clothes, shoes, dress clothes, bathing suits and everythig else (cameras, hats, tolietries, snacks, liquids bags, even our own masks and snorkles). And our carry on roller bags are TRUE carry on size, actually a couple inches under aloted size.

I packed for 4 days once for both of us to go to New Orleans in 2 Shoulder bags to avoid baggage fees on a discount airline lol!

Me too. One carryon sized suitcase and one tote bag for a 7 day cruise. Even though I don't have to pay to check a bag because of my airline credit cards, I usually just carry it on. At least in this particular case it would be small enough not to be affected and I would simply bring it on the plane with me.

I feel bad for those that were inconvenienced by the equipment malfunction. Not exactly the best way to start a vacation.

Me to!! Living out of a backpack for 5 days is interesting!!!

My son forgot to pack any pants one cruise and wore a 26 waist so all we could find onboard was one pair of size 30 cargo shorts. We made a belt. He had 2 pair shorts for the trip, but the shorts lasted and he was able to wear them for real a few years later. :)

Yet another reason to bring duct tape.:rolleyes:

His wife said the seam unraveled. Guess they don't travel with a sewing kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app