Live from Solstice - May 13th 2016

SetU2

Below is tonight's Blu menu and tomorrow's daily.

c51ea8139b5307c3defb2a4031518ceb.jpg

65b2279cb524328ff965b0a6383586e7.jpg

Lastly my wife and I with the Daws Glacier in the background.

16736b868482e4182583496a0ae779ae.jpg

See ya tomorrow,

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much again!

Letting us know that there is an alternative for our Tracy Arm Catamaran excursion is so much appreciated - we are also booked for this - Its for the morning of our actual anniversary so would be devastated if we heard the news it was cancelled - relieved to know there is a plan B) ;)

Also - thank you for the Molecular Bar menu - we only had the World Class Bar on our Equinox cruise which was useless... Love these concoctions - cant wait to work my way through the ones I favour :)

We have the zipwire booked in Skagway, don't suppose that's on your hitlist?

Fantastic pics and wishing you a fantastic onward journey with your cruise.

Blondie

I really liked the Berry Nutty, unfortunately we didn't hang out at the Molecular because they wouldn't make DH manhattan. Had to get my drink and move elsewhere for his. Martini bar was so noisy with the "thump thump" music.

I really liked the Berry Nutty, unfortunately we didn't hang out at the Molecular because they wouldn't make DH manhattan. Had to get my drink and move elsewhere for his. Martini bar was so noisy with the "thump thump" music.

Still??? I hate that "thump thump" music. I want to know who it is that likes it. Just one person. I have never met anyone who does. My one thing I HATE about X. Can't count the times I have overtipped a server or bartender to turn down the music. It is beyond obnoxious. And I have to believe that they have heard about it from thousands of people.

Still??? I hate that "thump thump" music. I want to know who it is that likes it. Just one person. I have never met anyone who does. My one thing I HATE about X. Can't count the times I have overtipped a server or bartender to turn down the music. It is beyond obnoxious. And I have to believe that they have heard about it from thousands of people.

I LOVE the thumpThumpThumpThump!!!! In fact, the lack of it on our TA cruise was the downfall of our cruise. Celebrity have been marketing a modern vibe with Miami dj - and it sure didn't happen on our cruise (you would have loved it hah!). For us - we like Calvin Harris vibe :)

We are doing Endicott Arm today. I guess I got up just a little late to hear that announcement. There was too much ice in Tracy Arm. Still looking forward to getting up close and personal with all that we saw as we entered into it this morning. Having not been here before, I'm not sure how disappointed I should be. But you can't really control Mother Nature.

We were on the Solstice a year ago Seattle R/T. Love Alaska and the incredible scenery that we don't see in Michigan. I booked the Tracy Arm catamaran as soon as I could. Best tour we had although your tour sounded amazing. We did not see as much great stuff. We were able to get very close in Tracey Arm. This was somewhat unusual we were told. Somehow we were invited to helipad to view the sail in. That was nice. Got up at 4:30 to watch from balcony until helipad opened.

No zip wire. We are in Skagway just now and we will grab a quick breakfast and head in for a short shopping trip. Then we go on the Alaska Gold Highlights tour. It is a ride up to the Klondike on the White Pas Railroad then learn about about Gold mining and panning with some personal panning before a Salmon bake buffet lunch. Then a ride back on bus. A bit hoakie for me but Shannon wanted to do this one and I'm good with it.

Eagerly awaiting your posts! Following along has become a great way to anticipate and enjoy planning our July 1st cruise on the Solstice. I'm curious to see your thoughts on the White Pass Rail.

Thanks again for all of the time you have put into this review!

I LOVE the thumpThumpThumpThump!!!! In fact, the lack of it on our TA cruise was the downfall of our cruise. Celebrity have been marketing a modern vibe with Miami dj - and it sure didn't happen on our cruise (you would have loved it hah!). For us - we like Calvin Harris vibe :)

We like it too!! I am 53, dh, 68. We had it on our Constellation TA last month.

Marie

Marie

Seriously? Don't you like to converse? To talk to people. It is often so loud that you can't hear a person sitting next to you talk.

Marie

YAY!!

Seriously? Don't you like to converse? To talk to people. It is often so loud that you can't hear a person sitting next to you talk.

The Martini Bar I feel is much more of a vibe bar - and for sure you can still chat - However - for a more relaxed conversational bar I'd say the Ensemble Bar was designed more for that. The Martini Bar is a show bar - and yes, Celebrity are gearing to a younger market - and to do that successfully, they do need to get that "Miami Beach Vibe" going.

In all honesty we felt somewhat let down on our Equinox cruise as Quasar was closed - looking forward to enjoying that hopefully on Solstice - Not convinced Celebrity have it right yet for a slightly younger demographic.

I don't mean any offence to anyone - please don't be offended - But if I was there and I saw someone tip the barman to turn the music down - I would say something - The Martini Bar is a lively fun environment - I am pretty sure there are lots of spaces for quiet conversation no?

No zip wire. We are in Skagway just now and we will grab a quick breakfast and head in for a short shopping trip. Then we go on the Alaska Gold Highlights tour. It is a ride up to the Klondike on the White Pas Railroad then learn about about Gold mining and panning with some personal panning before a Salmon bake buffet lunch. Then a ride back on bus. A bit hoakie for me but Shannon wanted to do this one and I'm good with it.

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Hows the weather? And can you note please what time sunset was in Skagway? We dine late but hoping we can dine before sunset that night - I believe Alaska has the same long days we have here at home. Still light late evening? I am thinking of booking Tuscan for that particular night after our zipline adventure - ( we are both terrified of heights so this should be a laugh!). Have a great evening!

Thanks so much again!

YAY!!

The Martini Bar I feel is much more of a vibe bar - and for sure you can still chat - However - for a more relaxed conversational bar I'd say the Ensemble Bar was designed more for that. The Martini Bar is a show bar - and yes, Celebrity are gearing to a younger market - and to do that successfully, they do need to get that "Miami Beach Vibe" going.

In all honesty we felt somewhat let down on our Equinox cruise as Quasar was closed - looking forward to enjoying that hopefully on Solstice - Not convinced Celebrity have it right yet for a slightly younger demographic.

I don't mean any offence to anyone - please don't be offended - But if I was there and I saw someone tip the barman to turn the music down - I would say something - The Martini Bar is a lively fun environment - I am pretty sure there are lots of spaces for quiet conversation no?

Check my signature. I am part of a long-time group who started in 2005 on the Infinity in the Martini Bar where the music playing was from the deck below (there was a huge cutout in the floor) was jazz. There may be plenty of other places to converse but none of them with martinis. :eek:

I want to say that this is the last time I will post on this subject. I DO NOT WANT to hijack this wonderful thread with this discussion. It's been discussed to death elsewhere on these boards. I am truly sorry I brought it up.

Check my signature. I am part of a long-time group who started in 2005 on the Infinity in the Martini Bar where the music playing was from the deck below (there was a huge cutout in the floor) was jazz. There may be plenty of other places to converse but none of them with martinis. :eek:

I want to say that this is the last time I will post on this subject. I DO NOT WANT to hijack this wonderful thread with this discussion. It's been discussed to death elsewhere on these boards. I am truly sorry I brought it up.

Sorry Koob but the pop up Disco scene in the Martini Bar is where its at now.....bring it on! :D

The White Pass Rail trip was pretty good. We started the day with the Gold panning and lunch. Surprisingly, I found the gold panning more enjoyable than I thought I would. The food was pretty much meh! I panned like 35 grams of gold, value of about $35. What made it fun and interesting was the guy playing a miner named Charlie txt taught us. He was funny and informative. They didn't seem to have logistics down well as there were three tours there at the same time, which is normal because they also do sled dogs and one other tour there. But they were giving conflicting info as to which busses we needed etc. I chalked most of this up to new staff at the beginning of the season.

We then were taken to the White Paa Railroad and boarded to take a ride up to Fraser, British Columbia. There is a lot of great scenery and they narrated well. Our bus driver back was probably even better at narrating as we returned. This was a good tour but if I could have only afforded a couple, the Floatplane and Boat tour in Ketchikan and Tracy Arm Fjord wilderness Explorer would be the two I'd keep. I'd hate to have to choose between them as they were both excellent.

Tonight's menu from Blu doesn't really excite either of us and my wife does not eat most meats and is picky in general so Specialty restraints aren't a good value for us. The MDR didn't look promising either so we may hit the Buffett. The Blu menu is below

5612b000d1f67538b364d4b283e088c5.jpg

We had three ships in port. Joining us were the Crown Princess and New Amsterdam. Here is a look from the Skagway overlook.

219dd9ed0e8a5990bd8d832e7f8b228b.jpg

And here is a look at the massive town of Skagway, population 600.

c6f037bb212a712c8558a30c9a11c119.jpg

Hows the weather? And can you note please what time sunset was in Skagway? We dine late but hoping we can dine before sunset that night - I believe Alaska has the same long days we have here at home. Still light late evening?

Sunset last week in Skagway was after 930pm.

Hows the weather? And can you note please what time sunset was in Skagway? We dine late but hoping we can dine before sunset that night - I believe Alaska has the same long days we have here at home. Still light late evening? I am thinking of booking Tuscan for that particular night after our zipline adventure - ( we are both terrified of heights so this should be a laugh!). Have a great evening!

Thanks so much again!

The sunrise and sunset are on each daily in the upper left.

Below is tomorrow's daily.

f4cd2445d445fc4bafd47057d0aab156.jpg

Sunset last week in Skagway was after 930pm.

Thank you so very much!!!

And for the menu too - def booking Tuscan Grill for that night - have Murano the night before - Blu menu is not looking good... On the TA cruise we did it was 14 nights of menus so had plenty nights to choose from on which to do our speciality dining - We will also want to do Silk Harvest - need to find a third "poor Menu" night lol.

And hey - thanks for the tip on the daily - never think to check those!!

Have a great cruise!