Live from Solstice - May 13th 2016

SetU2

Second sea day. My body just keeps waking up early. I went to Buffet for breakfast to grab a couple waffles. Now sitting at Cafe Al Bacio until my wife joins me. The ship is pretty quiet so I assume many are catching up on sleep. I've always liked these quiet mornings with coffee and the gentle roll of the ocean. Not just cruising but even going back to my Navy days.

I neglected to mention one highlight of our tour on the White Pass Line yesterday. We had a couple herds of Caribou running around. Not sure if Shannon got a picture or not. The tour people were pretty excited since it evidently is very rare. Having gone on several trips to Canada to fish (or should I say catch) I'd seen Caribou before.

No real plans on the day. I think we will catch the Hot Glass Show since we have not yet been to it. Maybe some Persian Garden time with books. It just feels like a decompress day after 3 straight ports with early mornings and late nights.

I've tried answering most of the questions posed here but if I've missed some, please just repost it and I'll try to help you out. I do know one was asking who the bartender was at the Martini Bar. I've not gotten it yet since I do not have the Premium Drink Package although my wife does. Perhaps I'll send her on a scouting mission today. She did get me a Berry Nutty from the Molecular Bar last night. Maybe it was the nutmeg and cream but it very much reminded me of a spiked eggnog more than anything else. Not to say it wasn't good, I very much liked it.

So a random thought. Typically when I've gone to Blu for breakfast, I can look on the back of the board posting the breakfast menu and see that evenings dinner menu. The MDR doesn't seem to post theirs until like mid-afternoon. First, it would seem logical to just have the menus on the TV, but it would be at least beneficial to have them available in the mornings at each dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SetU2

thanks for all your pictures and reports from the ship

My wife and I really enjoyed reading.

After reading about the tracey arm excursion we decided to do this one.

Question How cold was it on the catamaran ? I noticed you layered in the picture

Did you ever think about eating in the MDR ? as a variation from Blu

Also you upgraded your wife to premium is that because of the martini bar ?

did she feel it was worth it and also were you able to order other drink items at the martini bar on you classic drink package

thanks

thanks for all your pictures and reports from the ship

My wife and I really enjoyed reading.

After reading about the tracey arm excursion we decided to do this one.

Question How cold was it on the catamaran ? I noticed you layered in the picture

Did you ever think about eating in the MDR ? as a variation from Blu

Also you upgraded your wife to premium is that because of the martini bar ?

did she feel it was worth it and also were you able to order other drink items at the martini bar on you classic drink package

thanks

Cold is a bit of a relative term. It was about 50 fahrenheit with some wind. And of course we were surrounded by ice. When outside the three layers worked well. It was simply a short sleeve casual shirt, with a flannel shirt, and then a hoodie style zippered sweat shirt. I think I left the outer two mostly unbuttoned or zippered most of the time and took off the hoodie when we were inside and traveling.

We would consider the MDR if it provided something better. Because my wife is a very picky eater, it has been better going to Blu where the waiter already knows what she will and won't eat. The food has been great for the most part. Even though we did not go last night, there were certainly a couple options I'd have chosen.

Correct on the drink package. I don't drink a whole lot although I will have a few now and then. My wife likes all the fufu drinks so it just made sense. I've never asked for a Classic version, Shannon has gotten for me instead. There was one martini and one drink from the Molecular bar I wanted to try. No reporting us. On the other hand, I never used either of these drinks to reserve a table our lounger.

We had $300 OBC. We added an excursion to the Space Needle and Glass Gardens with airport drop off in Seattle since boarding and upgraded my wife's drink package. We have pre-paid gratuities and I had prepaid for Internet with a company card because it is a business expense for me so our Seapass account currently has a balance of only $2.58.

thanks for the info

I too have the 300 OBC

I also took out the celebrity credit card and charges the airlines and cruise

I now have another 150 OBC that I will add to the cruise 450 all together

I did not prepay the tips for the room or the drink package I was going to use

the OBC to pay for all that and maybe to go to a specialty dinner

Also by your review of the Tracy arm excursion my wife now wants it and so I booked it this morning. It was the price tag that was holding us back .

"I am on the Solstice right now and I inquired about luggage valet today and they said it isn't offered on this ship anymore. I was shocked since we used this last year on the same Alaskan Cruise."

Someone just posted this on another thread

Is this true that that do not offer this service

"I am on the Solstice right now and I inquired about luggage valet today and they said it isn't offered on this ship anymore. I was shocked since we used this last year on the same Alaskan Cruise."

I'm unable to answer. My luggage issue is resolved by the tour I'm taking because it includes airport drop off. I chose this partly because the costs of the tour itself is cheaper and luggage valet, were it offered, transportation to City Center, admission to the Space Needle and Glass Gardens and then transportation to the Airport. Although I guess we could have taken the light rail to the airport from downtown. Still, worry free for us. We were in Seattle since last Tuesday but had decided we'd do this and explored a few areas outside Seattle.

I called the Captains Club today before I read this post. They told me Luggage Valet was available from Seattle. We plan to use this unless it has been eliminated. With all of the stories about long security lines I figured eliminating the check in line at SEATAC would be a good idea. We will find out in 9 days after we board on the 27th.

I called the Captains Club today before I read this post. They told me Luggage Valet was available from Seattle. We plan to use this unless it has been eliminated. With all of the stories about long security lines I figured eliminating the check in line at SEATAC would be a good idea. We will find out in 9 days after we board on the 27th.

Amen to that. SEA's lines have been running 2 hours in the AM and 2 hours in the PM. Midday, they aren't too bad. Nowhere near as bad as some of the things we have been seeing around the country. But I think coming home from Alaska I wouldn't think about booking a flight before 11:00 am. Noon would be even better.

Second Evening Chic night. We ate early and again I've seen no tuxes. Last time it did seem like that there were a few on perhaps late seating that dressed more formally. I think a person could feel a bit out of place in jeans, although there were few dressed like that. Casual khakis with a button shirt seems to be about where most go. I added a blue blazer to that and felt pretty middle of the road.

The menu for Blu is below. I will not be going there tomorrow as we pull into Victoria at 5:30 and I need to get some decent fish and chips once on this trip. Below is tonight's Blu menu and tomorrow's daily.

c65ca0175a70e58169a51745ded5a297.jpg

13a0b68b0253a57a63afb321a261290e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to have your paperwork to the front desk early in the week you are on ship and only certain airlines are covered.

thanks for the info

I too have the 300 OBC

I also took out the celebrity credit card and charges the airlines and cruise

I now have another 150 OBC that I will add to the cruise 450 all together

I did not prepay the tips for the room or the drink package I was going to use

the OBC to pay for all that and maybe to go to a specialty dinner

Also by your review of the Tracy arm excursion my wife now wants it and so I booked it this morning. It was the price tag that was holding us back .

We spent about $1,200 on excursions but, then again, we may never get to Alaska again. Spending all that money for the cruise and air and just hanging around the pier would almost be criminal to me. It was worth it to us. We will go to the Caribbean in February and likely only do a coupe of excursions, maybe less since we've been there 4 times.

We arrive there this Friday 5/20 and I'm so glad I found this thread!

Have you had any rain? I'm trying to figure out what to pack.

We're bringing our 16yr old daughter, any kids on board?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had rain most of yesterday and also about half of our time in Skagway. The rain in Skagway was more of a mist. Actually, we felt pretty fortunate with the weather. There are not very many kids aboard at all.

[You need to have your paperwork to the front desk early in the week you are on ship and only certain airlines are covered.

I posted about no luggage valet on Solstice this week. I had all of my paperwork in on time and I am flying United which is the same airline I flew last year with luggage valet. I confirmed with Michaels Club and she told me no luggage valet on this ship. I don't know if it's because it's the first round trip out of Seattle but believe me if I could do luggage valet I would.

Evidently there were a lot of sick people yesterday. We did have 25-30 mph winds and I knew we were swaying a bit but my wife and I were both fine. Today has been quieter and the sun was out. We just pulled into Victoria and my wife is ashore. I'll join later, I'm just getting our airline seats etc. Today was really the first day that it seemed like there were almost 3000 passengers on board. The rest of the cruise you could believe, especially with Blu as your dining room, that was just a small fraction of that. Here is tonight's Blu menu.

305b22add893167d32a3a475497f14be.jpg

We won't be eating there and will instead have fish and chips in town. Then that crappy packing, knowing that our wonderful adventure is coming to an abrupt end. Especially with flying the same day. You go from a very pampered environment to the joys of airline travel with like what, 8" seats and personable and friendly TSA. As always, the worst part of a cruise.

We will breakfast in Blu then we meet in Quasar for our tour. At least we avoid most of the disembarkation lines and hassles that way. I'll post the final daily in a little bit.

Here is our final daily. Once we get home I'll add some pics from the camera.

9fcfca0177cc1ae7dc57aff08fb59297.jpg

We saved our Champagne for tonight and we toast a very enjoyable cruise. For those of you following along, thanks. If you are sailing this ship during this season, I hope you have as much fun as we did. Bon voyage!

Thank you so much for your review and pics.

Have a safe and smooth journey home - and start counting down until the next one.

I feel sad for you - seeing that last day daily :(

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world - there's a lassie getting packed and ready for Seattle :D

Second sea day. My body just keeps waking up early. I went to Buffet for breakfast to grab a couple waffles. Now sitting at Cafe Al Bacio until my wife joins me. The ship is pretty quiet so I assume many are catching up on sleep. I've always liked these quiet mornings with coffee and the gentle roll of the ocean. Not just cruising but even going back to my Navy days.

I neglected to mention one highlight of our tour on the White Pass Line yesterday. We had a couple herds of Caribou running around. Not sure if Shannon got a picture or not. The tour people were pretty excited since it evidently is very rare. Having gone on several trips to Canada to fish (or should I say catch) I'd seen Caribou before.

No real plans on the day. I think we will catch the Hot Glass Show since we have not yet been to it. Maybe some Persian Garden time with books. It just feels like a decompress day after 3 straight ports with early mornings and late nights.

I've tried answering most of the questions posed here but if I've missed some, please just repost it and I'll try to help you out. I do know one was asking who the bartender was at the Martini Bar. I've not gotten it yet since I do not have the Premium Drink Package although my wife does. Perhaps I'll send her on a scouting mission today. She did get me a Berry Nutty from the Molecular Bar last night. Maybe it was the nutmeg and cream but it very much reminded me of a spiked eggnog more than anything else. Not to say it wasn't good, I very much liked it.

So a random thought. Typically when I've gone to Blu for breakfast, I can look on the back of the board posting the breakfast menu and see that evenings dinner menu. The MDR doesn't seem to post theirs until like mid-afternoon. First, it would seem logical to just have the menus on the TV, but it would be at least beneficial to have them available in the mornings at each dining room.

Sea days are the best to relax and decompress.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Ok, just got done mowing the lawn, cruise is definitely over. Only 272 days to go until next one. I'm really glad we went on this cruise and that we chose Aqua. Having booked this back in 2014 under the 123 Go promotion not long after this cruise was available, we ended up with what we feel was a good value. An Alaska cruise was always on our bucket list and it did not disappoint. This was our first Celebrity cruise and we are likely to continue with them for now. I'm not sure we'll ever get to Elite, although we might, but it doesn't matter. I liked Celebrity and will cruise them for that reason alone. Any future or current benefits are gravy.

Having now done Alaska, I don't see us going again. Other than the glaciers, I can see mostly the same sights simply going north for a long weekend. Being from Minnesota, winter cruises in warm climates are a welcome break. That is why we picked the Ultimate Caribbean on the Summit in February. I do realize this ship is smaller and think I might prefer it. Although, you don't really realize there are almost 3,000 passengers on the Solstice class ships.

Glad you enjoyed "our" Solstice. We need to do Alaska on this wonderful ship. BUT, we did love doing the Med and Australia/NZ on this same, classy Solstice. Glad you did not drink the ship dry!! Look forward to seeing more pictures and details.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 143,108 views for this posting.

So I might have missed the answer but does anyone know when the molecular bar is being replaced on the solstice??? I have my fingers crossed it is still there in September when we go on our Hawaii cruise.

I LOVE the thumpThumpThumpThump!!!! In fact, the lack of it on our TA cruise was the downfall of our cruise. Celebrity have been marketing a modern vibe with Miami dj - and it sure didn't happen on our cruise (you would have loved it hah!). For us - we like Calvin Harris vibe :)

We like the vibe, too, and we're OLD people