If Blu was a specialty restaurant?

billydog

Several people have mentioned that AQ on the Summit has been cheaper than Concierge on the Bermuda run this summer. One reason may be that AQ has a max of 2 passengers per cabin while Concierge can hold 3 or 4. Lots of families during summer break like those Concierge cabins for the little bit extra sq. footage over standard verandah and better locations.

For us, we like AQ, partially for Blu and partially because of the awesome shower. We also enjoy the Persian Garden, especially in cooler climes. I do think it is less of a value than it used to be since they have discontinued the bottled water and concierge perks.

I agree that there are a significant number of AQ pax who do think they are superior, not all but a good number of them.....just look at the threads on here a couple of weeks ago when the new CC perks were announced, you would have thought someone had stolen their candy the way a bunch of AQ pax were ranting and raving that they deserved everything CC got and how they were so upset they would not be getting the Concierge class embarkation lunch and on and on....it was quite funny actually reading their rants on here.

Then send a letter to Celebrity and tell them to remove the content of their brochures which states that you get all the benefits of Concierge plus those of AQ. If they say they are giving you the benefits then they should. I have probably never drunk the bottle of champagne or whatever it is and the little canapés were really small and not real appetizing. I'm in AQ in two weeks and looking forward to Blu. I knew why Celebrity did those benefits for Concierge and figured they were just trying to improve the benefits, no biggie.

Edited by dkjretired

Then send a letter to Celebrity and tell them to remove the content of their brochures which states that you get all the benefits of Concierge plus those of AQ. If they say they are giving you the benefits then they should. I have probably never drunk the bottle of champagne or whatever it is and the little canapés were really small and not real appetizing. I'm in AQ in two weeks and looking forward to Blu. I knew why Celebrity did those benefits for Concierge and figured they were just trying to improve the benefits, no biggie.

I could care less what X puts in their brochures as it has no effect on me, I get my info online which by the way now says AQ gets SOME of the CC perks....

Several people have mentioned that AQ on the Summit has been cheaper than Concierge on the Bermuda run this summer. One reason may be that AQ has a max of 2 passengers per cabin while Concierge can hold 3 or 4. Lots of families during summer break like those Concierge cabins for the little bit extra sq. footage over standard verandah and better locations.

For us, we like AQ, partially for Blu and partially because of the awesome shower. We also enjoy the Persian Garden, especially in cooler climes. I do think it is less of a value than it used to be since they have discontinued the bottled water and concierge perks.

Concierge doesn't hold 4 on M class, max 3 pax only ;). You have to book a regular balcony when you have 4 - which is a little confusing as the cabins are slightly smaller :confused:. Additionally not just cheaper at Spring Break, many other weeks too and not just Summit, so it's something more than that :confused:.

I'm all for the choice of cabins so that each can choose their own preferences, however, some people are insistent that Aqua can't be cheaper than Concierge and this just isn't the case. I love aft cabins, some pax hate them - that's what's good about having a large variety of categories :).

I could care less what X puts in their brochures as it has no effect on me, I get my info online which by the way now says AQ gets SOME of the CC perks....

The 2018 hard copy brochure just released clearly states that AQ receives ALL of the benefits of CC.

Incidentally - having read some of your snide "haha" comments on AQ (really making a statement that AQ think they are superior :rolleyes: ) - is rather like reading the statement of a five year old who won the egg and spoon race.

I doubt ANY guests who are in Aqua give two hoots about an MDR lunch or anything else for that matter. All they are concerned with is receiving the perks which they bought into when they booked.

AS YOU WOULD!

Now please hear me and I think I speak for many AQ guests. We don't give two hoots about an MDR luncheon!

Yes, we're all chumps. Why can't people be happy with what they chose and quit trying to make it feel better by tearing other people's choices apart?

Agree ..not the part that we are all, chumps but that folks should make their own choices, be happy with choices they made, and respect choices made by others...

Edited by hcat

OP here. This thread seems to have gone off in all sorts of different directions. In essence the original question was to try and compare Blu with the specialty restaurants on board. In my view, if it was one of the speciality restaurants, I would probably visit it once, enjoy my meal, but find no real reason to return to it again.

OP here. This thread seems to have gone off in all sorts of different directions. In essence the original question was to try and compare Blu with the specialty restaurants on board. In my view, if it was one of the speciality restaurants, I would probably visit it once, enjoy my meal, but find no real reason to return to it again.

Its very difficult to say, BLU has a two week menu - 14 nights of dishes whereas the other speciality restaurants have one menu only which doesn't change.

I guess hypothetically, one could imagine a "Calfornian style best of Blu" menu - I doubt anyone would pay over the odds for it as its' core ingredients are no more expensive than those of the mdr.

I think what attracts people most to Blu is the intimate ambience. Waiting staff is much more personal. We always had a table for two by the window - it was truly private,. That is what I am happy to pay extra for more than the food itself. The BLU Menu is not always great - we pick and choose which nights to go dine in Murano or Silk Harvest.

Cannot ever see Blu - or Blu style, being a feasible specialty option.

That's not the point, they are not consistent, suppose someone went up to the CC lunch with one of the brochures and said I'm entitled to this because there is at least one of the brochures that says they get all the perks. I could care less because unlike many I'm very happy with the buffet and don't make any attempt to avoid it.

Edited by dkjretired

It makes people feel important. To have a restaurent dedicated to aqua class, makes them feel special. A great marketing plan by Celebrity my neighbors not only went on a cruise they went aqua class. When telling me about there cruise they referred to everything as Aqua class. We just get a simple balcony and eat in the specialty restaurents but we were not as important as them or as they thought they were. It's a great deal for Celebrity but a would not pay extra money for food to eat in there. It's not very different then the MDR. Just my opinion.

Ridiculous---who goes on a cruise to feel important! We like Blu for the same reason we like specialty restaurants---a smaller and much quieter venue with no wait staff frantically running back and forth.

I just came back from Bermuda. I was in a Aqua cabin and it was 100$ cheaper than a CC. On the M class ships the Aqua cabins are in a poor location IMO, before they existed the deck nine ones were CC and deck 11 was a nice place to sit. Adding Blu was just a draw to sell poor space at a higher price. I like Blu and Luminar because they are small, rather quite,offer good service, are really open sitting and have a relaxed dress code. Food is good however food is food.

I hadn't read your response prior to posting below. I agree with everything you said.

OP - I think I know what you were trying to say. If Blu was just another specialty restaurant, rather than the restaurant for a separate cabin class, would people pay the standard specialty restaurant fee to eat there for an evening?

Myself, I'd have to say no. We've sailed in AQ a few times. I really enjoy the smaller venue, but the food itself, although good, wasn't really more appealing than the main dining room to me. There are some standard dining room choices I really missed. Then again, I always really enjoy the main dining room. I think they started out trying to make Blu and Aqua class appealing for those who are looking for healthy options, but, in many cases, one person in the cabin is looking for a healthy, low sodium, low calorie meal, and the other is looking for Caesar salad, fettuccini alfredo and chocolate lava cake. Breakfast in particular was missing some of my favourites when we were in Blu.

That being said, I really loved Luminae and I would actually pay the specialty restaurant fee to eat there. I always said we would never book suites, but we booked one for a special anniversary and I thought Luminae was excellent, and this was pretty much the second week of its existence. I have to assume it's gotten even better (or at least more settled in what they do and don't offer). Our next cruise is in a suite again because I am so eager to eat in Luminae again.

One thing I wish they'd offer in Blu and Luminae is an opportunity to eat at a large table and meet other people. We usually book main dining at a large table and have a good time dining with others. A few months ago, we tried Select for the first time and were surprised at how much we enjoyed meeting different people each night. I wish Blu and Luminae reserved at least one large table each night for people who want to dine with other cruisers. That being said, the tables in Blu are so close together that we always met lots of nice people when at a table for two. In Luminae, the tables are a bit farther apart, so conversations don't happen so naturally.

Oh well, I'm just happy I'm fortunate enough to sail in any cabin and eat in any venue. There's no bad meal when I'm at sea.

Edited by BrendaJ

i don't need to stay in aqua class to feel important and special. I already know that i am important and special! :cool:

But seriously, we simply like the food and smaller venue. Staying in aqua class has zero to do with trying to feel superior to others.

*like* :D

Edited by Blondie008

If Blu was just another of the specialty restaurants I wonder how popular it would actually be compared to the other restaurants. Is is just the exclusivity that people like. I have sailed both Aqua and CC and was not blown away by Blu. If it was not included, and I had to pay for it, I might have tried it once but would probably not return. In my vie the Aqua premium price is certainly not worth it just for Blu unless you enjoy the exclusivity element.

We also were not blown away by the food in Blu for dinner. We did like the smaller venue and found the service to be very good. I also enjoyed breakfast. I would never pay more just to eat in Blu.

One thing I wish they'd offer in Blu and Luminae is an opportunity to eat at a large table and meet other people. We usually book main dining at a large table and have a good time dining with others. A few months ago, we tried Select for the first time and were surprised at how much we enjoyed meeting different people each night. I wish Blu and Luminae reserved at least one large table each night for people who want to dine with other cruisers. That being said, the tables in Blu are so close together that we always met lots of nice people when at a table for two. In Luminae, the tables are a bit farther apart, so conversations don't happen so naturally.

We were in a suite and then an AQ on a B2B and thus dined in Blu a lot. (Luminae hadn't been invented yet.)

We were on Infinity. I don't know if S class is the same. There were two larger tables and we often dined at them. The thing I liked most about Blu was that it was small and QUIETER than the MDR which has gotten impossibly noisy. Granted, we were on for almost 3 weeks, but we met so many fun and interesting people dining in Blu--a function of the larger tables, the fact that the tables for 2 were so close together, and the fact that the dining room was small.

I don't cruise in a suite or AQ or any cabin to feel important. I do it for the space and the amenities provided and if the price is right for me.

Yep, gal! :)

I did my first DCL in 2013 and never heard about the lobster burgers, so those must be long gone. But I get the "What's the big deal??" thing - I have that with the roast beef sandwich on Royal that has this cult following. (Or the Cult of the BBC - my mouth does NOT think Bailey's and bananas go together.)

I'm excited and will definitely report in! So far besides Disney I've cruised on the Emerald Seas WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in around 1983, then Disney, Disney, Holland America, Disney, and Royal Caribbean. Holland is the only absolute no-go again for me - partly the liberal smoking policy and partly the service was just not up to par for me (in spite of my cabin person I'm pretty sure thinking I was a spy for Disney because I had DCL toiletries, a DCL hoodie (it was Alaska), and a plush Mickey who travels with me). Royal was on the Radiance last summer in Alaska and it was good - with the exception of the production show (I swear I'm still having nightmares about "City of Dreams"). I'm on the Brilliance in 44 days cruising the Mediterranean/Venice route - could not pass up that itinerary (Villefranche, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Salerno, Venice overnight, Ravenna, and Kotor). And then February will be the Reflection! Whee!!

I've heard people raving about those roast beef sandwiches! Oh no, lobsterburgers again??:confused:;)

I guess we (on that thread) pretty much killed the lobsterburger. Thank goodness.

We've only done DCL, RCI and X. We are not fans of RCI. But we have only done Freedom so we need to try a smaller ship and the Oasis class to get a better feel for the line.

Your itinerary for the Med sounds like heaven. One day I will do that cruise!

(with or without my hate-to-fly husband).

Have a great cruise!