Promoting poor etiquette?

Royals new Suite program has the possibility of creating some pretty unhappy cruisers. They have now introduced “priority lines” at signature activities and this has already caused some people to get really upset because it basically allows the priority guest(s) to monopolize an activity if they want to do so. While this won’t affect many who cruise it could have the possibility of ruining an experience for those who enjoy an activity onboard and are happy to wait their turn in line with the masses. If a guest that is not in a certain suite class has to wait in line for over 30 minutes and a priority guest gets to use the same activity 3 or 4 times while they wait it will create some very unpleasant people. I’m having a real problem trying to support a company that is basically promoting poor etiquette amongst cruisers. Hopefully I am not alone on this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50027143#post50027143

I think RCCL is promoting a separation of the classes just as in the early days of travel by ship.

Upper class has priority boarding, priority dining, reserved seating by the pool, reserved seating at the shows, their own separate lounges so they don't have to mingle with the riff raff, etc.. Doesn't seem to end.

While the steerage class gets to wait in line to pick at the left over scraps.

I personally don't think that RCI is going far enough regarding the cruise within a cruise model. I would like to see it extended to every ship in the cruise line. We always book suites because we like the extra room and a bit more luxury. You would really be upset if you knew some of the unadvertised perks that we have received. Things like private tours, meals with Sr. Officers, private parties, etc. It's NOT about separating ourselves from "steerage" or the masses, we just enjoy a certain level of luxury and service. Buy the cruise that meets your expectations and fits your budget and I will do the same.

I think RCCL is promoting a separation of the classes just as in the early days of travel by ship.

Upper class has priority boarding, priority dining, reserved seating by the pool, reserved seating at the shows, their own separate lounges so they don't have to mingle with the riff raff, etc.. Doesn't seem to end.

While the steerage class gets to wait in line to pick at the left over scraps.

I have to admit that your post confused me. The quality of the cruise for people who are not in suites has not changed at all. If you had taken a cruise on Oasis in a balcony cabin two months ago and then got back on again tomorrow, what would the difference be?

It's like buying a brand new BMW and then getting irked because someone else paid five times as much as you did for a new Ferrari that goes faster and has a nicer interior. Your car is still the same, just as the cruising experience is the same for non-suite guests.

I have to admit that your post confused me. The quality of the cruise for people who are not in suites has not changed at all. If you had taken a cruise on Oasis in a balcony cabin two months ago and then got back on again tomorrow, what would the difference be?

It's like buying a brand new BMW and then getting irked because someone else paid five times as much as you did for a new Ferrari that goes faster and has a nicer interior. Your car is still the same, just as the cruising experience is the same for non-suite guests.

I disagree. Seats in the theater that had been available to all are not available to non-suite guests. Same for some lounge chairs around the pool. The guest services worker that waits on suite guests is one less worker available for non-suite guests. When a person (suite guest) gets to move to the "front of the line" for some activity, it comes at the expense of everyone else waiting in line, so it most certainly does affect the cruise for non-suite guests.

Edited by time4u2go

I don't show all my 20some cruises in my signature, D+ on Royal, tipper, but I've been around a bit and thought it might be fun to stir this up by saying I agree with most/all of the perks suite guests get for the money, but if it negatively impacts my experience on my upcoming Oasis and Allure repeats, and my Harmony cruise, maybe I'll just start reflecting that in my...tips.

I disagree. Seats in the theater that had been available to all are not available to non-suite guests. Same for some lounge chairs around the pool. The guest services worker that waits on suite guests is one less worker available for non-suite guests. When a person (suite guest) gets to move to the "front of the line" for some activity, it comes at the expense of everyone else waiting in line, so it most certainly does affect the cruise for non-suite guests.

I agree. I have no particular issue with the concept of pay more, get more, but let's not pretend that this type of change has no impact on non-suite guests.

I agree. I have no particular issue with the concept of pay more, get more, but let's not pretend that this type of change has no impact on non-suite guests.

The latest quote from the RCL front office....."Let them eat cake" to all the non suite guests..........:D

I don't show all my 20some cruises in my signature, D+ on Royal, tipper, but I've been around a bit and thought it might be fun to stir this up by saying I agree with most/all of the perks suite guests get for the money, but if it negatively impacts my experience on my upcoming Oasis and Allure repeats, and my Harmony cruise, maybe I'll just start reflecting that in my...tips.

I would only suggest that instead of taking it out on the staff that is serving you that you instead take it out on Royal by sailing with someone else.

Edited by Big_G

I have never been in a suite but I seem to recall on every cruise I have been on that an area in the theater has roped off for suite guests. This area would be opened up for all guest after a certain time.

I have never been in a suite but I seem to recall on every cruise I have been on that an area in the theater has roped off for suite guests. This area would be opened up for all guest after a certain time.

That's true for theater seating, but there's other things like seating by the pool and special guest services lines that aren't opened to all guests.

Edited by time4u2go

I think many are misinterpreting what the OP is referring to. I don't know what the activities are, but it sounds like it could be something like the flowrider, where suite guests might have access to a much shorter line that basically allows them to use the flowrider over and over again at the expense of non-suite guests that are waiting in the "normal" line. I don't think OP is referring to a one-time thing, like getting to the front of the guest services line, or priority tendering, or dining.

I don't think we're misinterpreting at all; just disagreeing that the scenario described is likely to happen. First, this doesn't apply to all "suite passengers," but rather a small subset of the suites, and I don't think they will let one person, or one small group, monopolize the flowrider by going over and over again, while others are waiting. This is just an OP theorizing that it might possibly happen, and getting upset about it in advance.

That's true for theater seating, but there's other things like seating by the pool and special guest services lines that aren't opened to all guests.

You know there is a way that you can access the pool suite seating area............

I think many are misinterpreting what the OP is referring to. I don't know what the activities are, but it sounds like it could be something like the flowrider, where suite guests might have access to a much shorter line that basically allows them to use the flowrider over and over again at the expense of non-suite guests that are waiting in the "normal" line. I don't think OP is referring to a one-time thing, like getting to the front of the guest services line, or priority tendering, or dining.

Generally speaking older people have tended to have acquired more, and while I am 57 and love the flowrider, I am not too worried about the suite people pushing me off the flowrider, my experience is nothing destroys the flowrider like spring break or I imagine summer when kids, with no money and no etiquette show up in swarms.

Entitlement is the new reality. Nobody earns anything anymore they are just entitled. You earn by paying, whether that is money or Blood sweat and tears, that is earning.

JC

I personally don't think that RCI is going far enough regarding the cruise within a cruise model. I would like to see it extended to every ship in the cruise line. We always book suites because we like the extra room and a bit more luxury. You would really be upset if you knew some of the unadvertised perks that we have received. Things like private tours, meals with Sr. Officers, private parties, etc. It's NOT about separating ourselves from "steerage" or the masses, we just enjoy a certain level of luxury and service. Buy the cruise that meets your expectations and fits your budget and I will do the same.

I couldn't agree with you more - if these are things that are important to you and you are willing to pay for them then go for it and enjoy! I certainly don't have any problems with the perks you receive. I'm not interested in private tours, meals with officers, private parties, or most of the perks associated with suites - I don't require a lot of service and don't go on cruises to socialize, (that would be my husband.) I'm a bargain chaser, so I'm thrilled with what I get for the price I pay - generally my expectations are met or exceeded because I do what is important to me on vacation and I don't worry about what others do or get.

Edited by mek

You have been living a blessed life style way too long. If you ever knew, you have forgotten what working hard for your vacation is like.

If you think that the quality of life for those who don't pay for the privileges of a suite life when cruising has NOT changed,, you are mistaken and possible have been afflicted with elitism.

It's not the fact that you have paid for this extra service, it's the attitude of high brow better than thou.

Then again, it's not your fault. Royal has given you special lounges to stay away from the masses. They have roped off special sunning areas near the pool. They have given you concierge's to take care of all your special needs, private entrances when embarking on the ship.

let's see, an inside cabin passenger can no longer sit anywhere they want near the pool, has to wait longer for service because staff has been reallocated to take care of the suite guest, can't go into the theatre early and get the good seat (must wait until the suite life folks decide where they want to sit first), can't have access to that special dining venue,,,,,,,,, but according to you

"Your car is still the same, just as the cruising experience is the same for non-suite guests". yep, the inside passenger experience is the same AFTER royal ensures the suite life people are tucked away.

BTW, after 12 cruises, I can't remember the last time I was not in a suite. I just remember where I came from. I don't utilize all the benefits afforded me. I think it's wrong to rope off and block off areas for special people. I look just as stupid sitting on the toilet as do guests in an inside cabin.

I couldn't agree with you more - if these are things that are important to you and you are willing to pay for them then go for it and enjoy! I certainly don't have any problems with the perks you receive. I'm not interested in private tours, meals with officers, private parties, or most of the perks associated with suites - I don't require a lot of service and don't go on cruises to socialize, (that would be my husband.) I'm a bargain chaser, so I'm thrilled with what I get for the price I pay - generally my expectations are met or exceeded because I do what is important to me on vacation and I don't worry about what others do or get.

This is what I mean, we can each get what is important to us. I'm not envious of others and I sure as hell don't want others to be envious of me. We should each live in accord with our desires.

I don't think this is true. Suite pax make up a really small percentage of pax overall. On the few ships that have it, Star Class is a minuscule number of pax. Special seats by the pool? Where ? On oasis and quantum class the suite area is completely removed from the pool. On voyager and freedom class, reports are that the suite area on pool deck has actually moved to an undesirable location. And even when it wasn't it was like 12 loungers ? In a theatre that seats over a thousand there was a small row reserved. And many thought it was not a great location.

Sorry but this seems like a really over blown issue.

You have been living a blessed life style way too long. If you ever knew, you have forgotten what working hard for your vacation is like.

If you think that the quality of life for those who don't pay for the privileges of a suite life when cruising has NOT changed,, you are mistaken and possible have been afflicted with elitism.

It's not the fact that you have paid for this extra service, it's the attitude of high brow better than thou.

Then again, it's not your fault. Royal has given you special lounges to stay away from the masses. They have roped off special sunning areas near the pool. They have given you concierge's to take care of all your special needs, private entrances when embarking on the ship.

let's see, an inside cabin passenger can no longer sit anywhere they want near the pool, has to wait longer for service because staff has been reallocated to take care of the suite guest, can't go into the theatre early and get the good seat (must wait until the suite life folks decide where they want to sit first), can't have access to that special dining venue,,,,,,,,, but according to you

"Your car is still the same, just as the cruising experience is the same for non-suite guests". yep, the inside passenger experience is the same AFTER royal ensures the suite life people are tucked away.

BTW, after 12 cruises, I can't remember the last time I was not in a suite. I just remember where I came from. I don't utilize all the benefits afforded me. I think it's wrong to rope off and block off areas for special people. I look just as stupid sitting on the toilet as do guests in an inside cabin.

klfrodo, I COMPLETELY get where you are coming from, and I respect you and love that we travel on the same cruiseline. That being said, i think that we are on totally different wavelengths. I treat patients, day in and day out, and am expected to cow-tow to them every day, every hour. I am paying off medical school loans, but still have to deliver warm blankets and juices to them when they demand it of me. Yes, health care has turned to that... I am expected to be a doctor and a servant... so when I am on a cruise, and I pay for that suite???? YES, I want people to bring me the juice, warm blanket, AND I want to get off the ship before you, AND get the better seats in the theatre, because I PAID FOR THEM. More than you did. I remember where I came from as well, and how gosh darn hard I worked to get where I am now. I LOVE taking care of people, but when it is my turn, well, I paid for it, and it's my turn.

I don't really see any difference between this and first class or skip the line at amusement parks. I've also never felt like the service or cruise was lacking when I was in a balcony or an inside vs the times I've been in a suite. Granted, we have only had suites on Carnival and they don't offer too many perks. We will be in a Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis this year and with the amount of money that we are paying, I would expect certain perks.

Now letting suite guests do an activity over and over again at the expense of other waiting guests is too much but where does this happen? I've never been on Royal Caribbean and I would be too embarrassed to even participate in something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with those who say this is really a non-issue. I've been on ships before where they have a special set of seats for suite guests, special restaurant, special bar, etc. I think if you want to pay that much for a room you should be able to expect better treatment than someone who sails in an inside cabin.

I understand why RCI is doing it. They are trying to sell the suites and adding on some suite perks helps people who can afford, or want to afford, to pay that much get something more for their price.

This is true lots of places. We were in New York a couple of weeks ago and when we went to plays the better seats cost more. When we went to restaurants the better ones cost more. When we looked for a hotel the ones with better locations and classier features cost more. When we flew on the airplane the 1st Class people got to board right after people with children or those who needed additional help. It's a pretty common paradigm.

I don't think RCI is telling anyone they can't pay the extra cost for suite if they want to.

I've also seen people with higher loyalty status go to the front of lines and get free drinks and other benefits that "everyone" else doesn't get until they reach that level. Seems like the same kind of thing to me.

Tom

I love this! So true.

I like this post but it is a touchy subject. In my opinion and what I've learned in my short time on earth, money talks. If you pay more for this special stateroom, just like if you pay more for 1st class on an airplane, or pay more money for better seats at a concert, you should get what you pay for and any of the perks that come with.

I've never been in a suite but I aspire to it! A 1%-er! I'm working hard to achieve that level of affluence where I could justify that splurge.:)

And like the other person said, I'm sure these suite guests (most of who are retired) are not chomping at the bit to ride and HOG the flowrider over and over, lol.

So let me ask this, what should someone get for paying $9000 pp for a 7 day cruise, extra space? That is rediculous. They pay for services, not given to them. I have stayed in a grand suite once. we pampered ourselves, as we were married on board. We loved perks & it was nice to have some extra attention but we didn't get 3.5 times our money's worth had we been in a D1 balcony. Hence, until I can really afford to do so, we will choose not to BUY those services. In the mean time, maybe I will work a little harder and learn a little more to put myself in a position to be able to? There are some really good lessons for "little Jimmy" (or "big jimmy") when they get "fast passed" for Flowrider, and it isn't that rich people are snobs or given things they don't deserve, it is being grateful for the fact you are on a cruise, in line to do something fantastic! Something that 95% of kids or adults will never get an opportunity to do. And if you work hard, you too could afford pay for those extra service if you chose to.

OOPS , outside voice.

I love the suite life on RCL. I pay extra mostly for the perks not so much the extra sq ft of my suite. Keep it up RCL.

I love I can go to the pool and know I will get a chair.

The newest one I just got for the first time was being escorted off the ship and through customs by the suite concierge using a suite line to the customs officer. We met the concierge in chops and it took us 15 minutes from chops to sitting in a taxi.

Royals new Suite program has the possibility of creating some pretty unhappy cruisers. They have now introduced “priority lines” at signature activities and this has already caused some people to get really upset because it basically allows the priority guest(s) to monopolize an activity if they want to do so. While this won’t affect many who cruise it could have the possibility of ruining an experience for those who enjoy an activity onboard and are happy to wait their turn in line with the masses. If a guest that is not in a certain suite class has to wait in line for over 30 minutes and a priority guest gets to use the same activity 3 or 4 times while they wait it will create some very unpleasant people. I’m having a real problem trying to support a company that is basically promoting poor etiquette amongst cruisers. Hopefully I am not alone on this.
Honestly have no idea what this rant is about, trust me suite guests PAY for the "nice" little perks they get. Look if you can't afford a suite, you can't afford a suite. What this has to do with etiquette is in your mind......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

I've only been on 3 cruises, but, there has been reserved seating for suite passengers, seating in the specialty restaurants during lunch for them, and chairs for them by the pool on all 3. This isn't a product of the Star Class thing.

And I seem to remember someone posting a job description for the Royal Genie. Was it a joke? If it was real, then that means they HIRE people for that. In that case, they didn't take away staff from the other passengers.

When one assumes that the suite restaurants and lounges are there because suite passengers don't want to 'mix with the riff raff', that really says more about the person making the assumption than the suite passengers. It could mean that they simply want an upgraded experience, nothing more or less. They could very well not be thinking about the 'riff raff' as you call yourself at all. My guess is they probably aren't. And the non suite passenger is just feeling sour grapes because they 'can't have that too'. You CAN have it too. You just have to PAY for it.