Taking Meds in bottles or pill containers?

Coachyo

Does anyone remember U.S. Marine, Andrew Tahmooressi who innocently crossed into Mexico because of road construction at the US/Mexican border with his legally,(US) registered guns? Did you know that when you are in a foreign port that countries law enforcement can and do random searches of cabins with dogs and other sniffer devices?, and they do (Bermuda, Bahamas, Jamaica are notorious for it). Why would anyone even want to play around with the old "I know my rights", no you don't. If your in a foreign port your under that countries laws, not US. In fact check to see where your ship is registered, that may have bearing on what the registering country may do. If your a US citizen and you have a problem, hope your entering the US. You can have access to an American lawyer, and in most cases make bail, and plead your case in a US court. Try that in Thailand, most countries can hold you for up to 24 to 72 hours before contacting the US Consulant, by then your ship is long gone. If someone says "I've never had a problem" remember, you don't want to be the one who did.

You know, I figured it would be best to get it from the horses mouth, so used a contact to speak with a friend at US Customs who also happened to be a former DEA worker (not an agent), so this is right from the horses mouth. I have his permission to quote, but not identify since he is not authorized to speak publicly on behalf of the agency.

"Technically, bringing medication into the US without its original container is illegal. However, nearly every single agent will accept a copy of a prescription that looks legit and is close to the amount on hand or some other form of verifiable documentation. If you have a lot more pills than we think you should, you are going to be detained and checked. Also, note that bringing in meds from other countries can also be a big issue depending on quantity and type"

Speaking from the DEA side "Controlled substances like narcotics should always be carried in their original bottles or ones with a pharmacy label. It's not usually a problem from a federal level for small amounts, but different states have different rules and very low tolerance. Stuff not on the control list are probably ok, or at least the DEA won't get involved, however customs in any state will turn over violators to local cops when they find something."

It's the first one most relevant to cruising. The short answer seems to be use prescription bottles when possible, or at least have documentation especially for controlled substance purposes. Otherwise, you may take a lot longer to get where you are going after disembarkation.

You know, I figured it would be best to get it from the horses mouth, so used a contact to speak with a friend at US Customs who also happened to be a former DEA worker (not an agent), so this is right from the horses mouth. <snip>

"Technically, bringing medication into the US without its original container is illegal.

This is also my line of work. I hate to say it, but he is not totally accurate in what he told you. The regulation enforced by CBP says should be in original bottles. In written laws, there's a big difference between "should" and "shall" or "must." Straight from the CBP site..."If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. "

Here's a link to the regulation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/kw/medication%20restrictions/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2Mzk2MDcyMS9zaWQvYjZsQjVhUm0%3D/suggested/1

You know, I figured it would be best to get it from the horses mouth, so used a contact to speak with a friend at US Customs who also happened to be a former DEA worker (not an agent), so this is right from the horses mouth. I have his permission to quote, but not identify since he is not authorized to speak publicly on behalf of the agency.

"Technically, bringing medication into the US without its original container is illegal. However, nearly every single agent will accept a copy of a prescription that looks legit and is close to the amount on hand or some other form of verifiable documentation. If you have a lot more pills than we think you should, you are going to be detained and checked. Also, note that bringing in meds from other countries can also be a big issue depending on quantity and type"

Speaking from the DEA side "Controlled substances like narcotics should always be carried in their original bottles or ones with a pharmacy label. It's not usually a problem from a federal level for small amounts, but different states have different rules and very low tolerance. Stuff not on the control list are probably ok, or at least the DEA won't get involved, however customs in any state will turn over violators to local cops when they find something."

It's the first one most relevant to cruising. The short answer seems to be use prescription bottles when possible, or at least have documentation especially for controlled substance purposes. Otherwise, you may take a lot longer to get where you are going after disembarkation.

Are you referring to States within the USA or nation-states?

If the former, which *states* have "customs" agents/agencies that aren't federal?

:confused:

My daughter also has a seizure disorder, and takes 3 meds 3x daily- a total of 25 pills each day. I put her pills in a 7-day carrier and carry the perscriptions tear-offs the pharmacy staples on the bags when I re-fill her meds. I have never had any problems with airlines, cruiseships, customs, etc. I also take an extra week of meds with me (in a 7 day carrier) cause you never know what might happen on vacation, and I don't want to be stranded without meds for her.

You know, I figured it would be best to get it from the horses mouth

I'm not sure who these people are that you talked to, but they don't seem to know the law very well.

As Aquahound posted, federal law only mandates that you must be able to show proof of prescription by way of either a copy or doctors note. CBP recommends original containers, but it is not mandated.

...or at least the DEA won't get involved, however customs in any state will turn over violators to local cops when they find something.

This also is not right. First of all, states do not have Customs. Second, if a person is not violating federal law by clearing Customs with the proper copy or doctor's note, there is absolutely no reason for them to call local police.

Except for the purpose of current use by the person or animal for whom such substance was prescribed or dispensed, it shall be unlawful for an ultimate user of controlled substances to possess such substance outside of the original container in which it was dispensed.

Current Use is defined as a reasonable amount based on the person's voyage or activity. If the person is on a weekend trip, they can legally possess what's necessary to get through the weekend, without it being in the original container. Same goes for a cruise embarking out of that state. They can possess, outside of the container, what's necessary to get through the cruise. In accordance with both state and federal law, they only need to be able to show proof of prescription.

Actually, depending on where you are, it actually is..

If its a controlled substance, federal law applies: "http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/index.html"

Most states have their own version of the law.

Some states have laws regarding non-controlled substance... Such as Florida Statute 893.13(2)(a)(7) - although there have been questions of constitutionality there, but then again if you are in court with a lawyer arguing constitutionality, you have already spent a great deal of time and money. That law would apply upon disembarkation in Miami for example. I also found a similar law in Maine (for stops in Bar Harbor) and California just as examples.

Now, unless you get Officer Angry or do something else to involve law enforcement, is it really likely to be an issue? Probably not. But that's not the same as something not being illegal.

Please go brush up on the law. All controlled substances are prescription only medications but not all prescription only medications are controlled substances. There is a big difference in the two. Controlled substances are typically include narcotics, opioids, and things like that, while prescription only medications typically include things like blood pressure medications, and cholesterol medications.

Keep in mind that when entering some countries it is illegal to take some medications in no matter how they are packaged even if you need them. This typically occurs in the middle east and SE Asia, but you need to be aware of the rules for where you are traveling.

It's so funny how everyone is arguing about what is and isn't law, how about just good ol' plain common sense? There's a reason why pills come in a prescription bottle that's child-proof and contains the name of the drug, its dosage, who its prescribed to and who prescribed it. Keeping the pills in their original container keeps them safe from those who could have children near-by and ingest them, slows the rate of breakdown by reducing the amount of light and moisture, and helps you identify what they are so you don't accidentally overdose on one and miss a dose of another by knowing exactly what you're taking. Plus if you have a medical emergency whoever is assisting you knows exactly what you're taking since they have the drug name, strength, and dosage at their fingertips. Hopefully nothing ever happens to you where any of that information is necessary, but it does happen. Forget the law, how about exercising common sense?

-Keith

It's so funny how everyone is arguing about what is and isn't law, how about just good ol' plain common sense? There's a reason why pills come in a prescription bottle that's child-proof and contains the name of the drug, its dosage, who its prescribed to and who prescribed it. Keeping the pills in their original container keeps them safe from those who could have children near-by and ingest them, slows the rate of breakdown by reducing the amount of light and moisture, and helps you identify what they are so you don't accidentally overdose on one and miss a dose of another by knowing exactly what you're taking. Plus if you have a medical emergency whoever is assisting you knows exactly what you're taking since they have the drug name, strength, and dosage at their fingertips. Hopefully nothing ever happens to you where any of that information is necessary, but it does happen. Forget the law, how about exercising common sense?

-Keith

If you want to change the subject and bring in a common sense argument then yes, you will get more of argument. That's because it's now all a matter of opinion, not facts.

For the record, I provided the reference that specifically states original bottles are not required, but only suggested by federal law. That's not an argument. That's written law. Period. That is the answer to the OP's question. Whether or not the OP or anyone else wants to carry their pills in the bottles is totally up to them, as it is totally up to them what constitutes "common sense" in this matter.

Clarification - US Customs operating in each state (such as Miami) may turn over violators of local (Florida or Miami) law to local law enforcement for handling as applicable.

The states do not handle customs themselves of course.

Are you referring to States within the USA or nation-states?

If the former, which *states* have "customs" agents/agencies that aren't federal?

:confused:

Erring on the side of caution, he didn't want to get into the details of quantity, etc. He phrased it differently, but his point is exactly the same as in the advisory (which is not regulation btw) that medicines not in an original container are not allowed (illegal) unless you have a copy of the prescription.

I'll amend that with something that came up in the convo (I wanted to quote him directly) is that he has personally experience some very 'creative' prescriptions presented, and thus some agents may be loath to trust them. And yes, we both acknowledged that nowadays its not hard to fake a bottle label, they actually see that regularly too, which is why the DEA and other agencies often help with identification.

I think his overall point is still valid. To minimize the risk of issues, carry contents in a prescription bottle. If you can't or won't, carry a verifiable copy of the prescription. If your meds are considered controlled substances, be extra diligent about this. Otherwise if you get flagged by customs, be polite and plan to hang around the dock a while, perhaps in a small room with a lock on the other side of the door.

If you are arguing whether your pill bottle is in 'technical' violation of the law or not, you have already lost.

This is also my line of work. I hate to say it, but he is not totally accurate in what he told you. The regulation enforced by CBP says should be in original bottles. In written laws, there's a big difference between "should" and "shall" or "must." Straight from the CBP site..."If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. "

Here's a link to the regulation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/kw/medication%20restrictions/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2Mzk2MDcyMS9zaWQvYjZsQjVhUm0%3D/suggested/1

As a former operator of halfway houses and sober homes in NYS, we would have anyone of our residents traveling on a home visit carry any controlled substance in the original prescription container.

This did not pertain to non controlled substances like cholesterol or blood pressure meds.

We were advised by counsel that was the approved, legal protocol.

Also, if one uses a mail order pharmacy or CVS or Walgreens, it is easy to reference any personal prescriptions on line with that issuer.

Also, if one uses a mail order pharmacy or CVS or Walgreens, it is easy to reference any personal prescriptions on line with that issuer.

That's easy to do when you're sitting at your computer at home, not so easy to do when you're being detained.

That's easy to do when you're sitting at your computer at home, not so easy to do when you're being detained.

I was just going to say that but you beat me to it. Who wants to be detained while they investigate why you're carrying around pills in your pocket that they can't identify. I've seen enough episodes of COPS to know I don't ever want to be in that position.

Another thing I'm thinking about... Airports have drug-sniffing animals to search out drug smugglers... I'm kind of thinking I don't want to be the guy walking around with a bunch of pain killers in my pocket with no label when that dog barks at me or my suitcase. Call me crazy :)

This has been an interesting debate.. The law isn't as clear as some of us thought it was, it's different on a state by state level, and I think it pretty much comes down to the mood of the cop who discovers it on you. It all comes down to whether or not you want to take the chance. I know what I would do personally... And that's save myself the potential for a lot of grief :)

-Keith

Another thing I'm thinking about... Airports have drug-sniffing animals to search out drug smugglers... I'm kind of thinking I don't want to be the guy walking around with a bunch of pain killers in my pocket with no label when that dog barks at me or my suitcase. Call me crazy :)

That's not going to happen. I've worked in law enforcement a long time and I have never seen a dog at any sort of checkpoint or border that sniffs prescription pain pills. In fact, I've never seen one anywhere. Dogs only sniff what they are trained to, and I'm not sure why they would train a dog to sniff what so many people carry legally. If they did, the poor dog would get overstimulated and way overworked.

He phrased it differently, but his point is exactly the same as in the advisory (which is not regulation btw) that medicines not in an original container are not allowed (illegal) unless you have a copy of the prescription.

There you go. Unlike the way you worded it earlier, this statement is accurate.

Edited by Aquahound

I was just going to say that but you beat me to it. Who wants to be detained while they investigate why you're carrying around pills in your pocket that they can't identify. I've seen enough episodes of COPS to know I don't ever want to be in that position.

This has been an interesting debate.. The law isn't as clear as some of us thought it was, it's different on a state by state level, and I think it pretty much comes down to the mood of the cop who discovers it on you. It all comes down to whether or not you want to take the chance. I know what I would do personally... And that's save myself the potential for a lot of grief :)

-Keith

So we agree as I said in my post above:

we would have anyone of our residents traveling on a home visit carry any controlled substance in the original prescription container.

It's been a few years since I retired, but I seem to recall that the controlled meds had a warning on them stating they must remain in their original container per Federal Law.

So we agree as I said in my post above:

we would have anyone of our residents traveling on a home visit carry any controlled substance in the original prescription container.

It's been a few years since I retired, but I seem to recall that the controlled meds had a warning on them stating they must remain in their original container per Federal Law.

Just checked the label of a pharmacy bottle containing a controlled med, and there is not any such message (not now, here; no idea of elsewhere or previously, etc.).

There are notes about possible side effects, a description of the physical appearance off the med, and a warning about how Federal law prohibits the transfer to anyone other than the person for whom the med is prescribed.

For us, we prefer to keep original label Rx containers (smallest size needed) of ALL meds with us for any travel... just in case any authority decides to get involved with us for any reason.

We figure that Officer Angry isn't otherwise going to recognize what "those assorted little pills" are... and we'd want to save Officer Angry the time/effort/annoyance off needing to "find out"...

Just checked the label of a pharmacy bottle containing a controlled med, and there is not any such message (not now, here; no idea of elsewhere or previously, etc.).

There are notes about possible side effects, a description of the physical appearance off the med, and a warning about how Federal law prohibits the transfer to anyone other than the person for whom the med is prescribed.

For us, we prefer to keep original label Rx containers (smallest size needed) of ALL meds with us for any travel... just in case any authority decides to get involved with us for any reason.

We figure that Officer Angry isn't otherwise going to recognize what "those assorted little pills" are... and we'd want to save Officer Angry the time/effort/annoyance off needing to "find out"...

Thanks for the clarification on the Federal Law warning......

That's not going to happen. I've worked in law enforcement a long time and I have never seen a dog at any sort of checkpoint or border that sniffs prescription pain pills. In fact, I've never seen one anywhere. Dogs only sniff what they are trained to, and I'm not sure why they would train a dog to sniff what so many people carry legally. If they did, the poor dog would get overstimulated and way overworked.

There you go. Unlike the way you worded it earlier, this statement is accurate.

We have dogs trained to sniff out everything from fruit to bomb making materials. You think we can't find "pain pills" i.e. Opiates? Seriously? Just at MIA on any given day there can be upwards of 25 dogs in the terminal and in the baggage handing areas. You must be a file clerk or something and not an actual officer.

We have dogs trained to sniff out everything from fruit to bomb making materials. You think we can't find "pain pills" i.e. Opiates? Seriously? Just at MIA on any given day there can be upwards of 25 dogs in the terminal and in the baggage handing areas. You must be a file clerk or something and not an actual officer.

That person's credentials and education faaar exceed yours, I guarantee it.

By the way, I am a retired Customs agent in Miami. Aquahound was correct when he said pill dogs are not used in the Customs terminals for disembarking cruise ship passengers. Depending on the size of the ship, 2-6 thousand passengers file through a single line in only a few hours. At any given time, someone in the line will have legal pain pills. We are not going to waste our time and resources checking for prescriptions that are most likely being carried legally. Our dogs were trained as they should be - to sniff either explosives or schedule 1 drugs that have no legal purpose.

The bottom line is, as it has been since the beginning on this thread, that it is perfectly legal to carry prescriptions outside the original container as long as you have some sort of proof of prescription. Those of you who continue to argue the law by posting some obscure Washington state law or a NY law that clearly says current use is legal outside the original container are the ones responsible for sending this thread sideways.