Balcony or mini-suite for family of 4?

QuiltingLawyer

Hi all,

I'm planning to take my family on the 15-day Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess out of SF next spring. I'm looking at the balcony rooms and wondering whether they will accommodate a family of 4 with the Pullman beds lowered and the beds in a king size configuration? Or do I need to go to a mini-suite? Kids will be 8 and 11 at time of sailing.

The last time I sailed on this ship I was in an interior cabin (girlfriend getaway) so either way I'm looking forward to a view of the ocean.

Many thanks! :)

In a balcony cabin the lower beds will be in the twin configuration when the upper berths are in use. Each twin will have a upper berth over it with a center aisle for access. In a Grand Princess balcony cabin the closet is only 3 ft. long. Storage space will be tight for 4.

In a mini suite the 3rd bed is the convertible sofa and the 4th bed is a pull down bunk above the sofa. Access to the balcony is restricted when the 3rd and 4th beds are in use. The queen bed can remain in the queen config. There is more storage in a mini suite.

4 people in a balcony room which only has a chair no couch or loveseat would be uncomfortable and on a 15 day I would think unbearable - go for a mini - much more room and yes I know people will say "we are never in our rooms" - well of course you are not in your rooms, you can't be, there is no space -

My recommendation 2 cabin. Balcony and inside directly across the hall. Give the kids ages you will be assigned on cabin with one child, your husband in the other with your other child. We have done this on multiple cruises. Upon booking, if you choose, put both kids in inside cabin and you and your husband in the balcony. You can also get extra keys for both cabins.

On our first cruise we did the mini suite. The beginning the following year we did the 2 cabins and it was about the same price as the mini with 4 people, and we had a second bathroom! My oldest was also younger than your oldest the first time we did this. We also bought a set of walkie talkies that had a monitor functions so that we could set it up in their cabin, especially at night. We also had very specific rules for the kids, which they abided by, which is also why we kept the practice.

Definitely nothing smaller than the mini-suite, but the 2 cabin option is better provided that the kids are responsible enough and you trust them. 2 weeks with 4 people in a balcony cabin--no way.

As above, you will be booked with husband and child in one cabin, wife and child in the other. No one cares who sleeps where. Another alternative (if the ship you are on has it available) would be connecting cabins. Connecting cabins of a lower category would be better than 4 people in a balcony.

Carnival has the king/daybed/bunk configuration you're looking for in almost all categories (IS has two Pullmans). But Carnival is usually more expensive than Princess for HI and sails out of Long Beach. The mix of pax is very similar on these longer cruises.

Princess cabins are just enough for two. Book connecting cabins or a quad Minisuite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Definitely nothing smaller than the mini-suite' date=' but the 2 cabin option is better provided that the kids are responsible enough and you trust them. 2 weeks with 4 people in a balcony cabin--no way.

[/quote']

I concur. A balcony cabin is way too small for 4 people, even when 2 of them are little. You will probably save money with the 2 cabin option vs the mini-suite option and you will have room to move about without tripping all over one another. Plus...two bathrooms is the way to go with 4 people. You can arrange it so it is right across the hall and provide your kids with a key to your room and guidelines as to when to use it.

Hi all,

I'm planning to take my family on the 15-day Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess out of SF next spring. I'm looking at the balcony rooms and wondering whether they will accommodate a family of 4 with the Pullman beds lowered and the beds in a king size configuration? Or do I need to go to a mini-suite? Kids will be 8 and 11 at time of sailing.

The last time I sailed on this ship I was in an interior cabin (girlfriend getaway) so either way I'm looking forward to a view of the ocean.

Mini suite for sure.

Hi all,

We're also a family of 4 and the minute we started cruising in 2 separate cabins was one of the happiest days of my life. In saying that, you can still have a queen and 2 upper bunks in an oceanview cabin, but not in a balcony. So if you go with a balcony then you'll all be in bunks. We started putting our kids into an inside when they were 7 and 11 and they loved it. I've offered my now 16 year old daughter a balcony for the next time we cruise but she says she loves the inside and doesn't want to change. I agree with the earlier post that says you won't find it costs too much more but it gives you and your husband so much more room. If you do book 2 rooms just remember to mark them as 'no upgrade' so that your cabins don't get separated.

Trish

We have tried the 2 cabins which was great for 14 days and we are giving the mini for 4 a go on the next 8 day cruise. Though the one after that we have a mini plus an inside for a 14 day. I couldn't see us ever going down the path of a balcony or lower cabin for 4 it would drive us nuts.